BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Steve Thomas BMW

05-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #45
SilverDust
Private
Rep
Drives: Frozen Silver Edition M3

Just spitballing here, but could varying pressures in the tires also create vibration? E.g. one tire at 28psi another at 32psi... etc
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #46
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDust
Just spitballing here, but could varying pressures in the tires also create vibration? E.g. one tire at 28psi another at 32psi... etc
Nope. Uneven pressures will cause handling issues but not vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #47
ycb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

Had an annoying vibration at 120km/hr as well.

turns out the tyre had to be rotated 80 degrees around the wheel rim. took 3x Road Force test to figure it out.

heavy spot in the tire wasn't matching up. fixed it and shaking was gone. took more than 1.5 years to figure out ffs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #48
aleck
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3 6MT

I have been having this annoying rhythmic steering wheel vibration usually above 80mph on most freeways. However, there are /some/ stretches of freeways where I don't have such vibrations, and there are some where the vibration is quite bad. All the above stretches of freeways seems equally smooth to me.

My front tires are probably in need of replacing and rebalancing. Mech also commented on how the inside of the front tires are wearing faster probably due to improper camber. I'll have those fixed soon but in the mean time any idea why some stretches of road is vibration free while others aren't? and that this only happens above ~80mph?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #49
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleck
I have been having this annoying rhythmic steering wheel vibration usually above 80mph on most freeways. However, there are /some/ stretches of freeways where I don't have such vibrations, and there are some where the vibration is quite bad. All the above stretches of freeways seems equally smooth to me.

My front tires are probably in need of replacing and rebalancing. Mech also commented on how the inside of the front tires are wearing faster probably due to improper camber. I'll have those fixed soon but in the mean time any idea why some stretches of road is vibration free while others aren't? and that this only happens above ~80mph?
I have experienced what you are experiencing. It does appear to be your wheel/tyre being out of balance. You're actually getting vibration all the time, but some roads have a sufficiently coarse surface texture to cancel out the vibrations you would otherwise feel on a smoothly textured road.

Go to a good tyre balancing shop. Ask them to check whether there's too much runout in the tyre or alloy wheel. Excess runout is the number one reason why you get vibration even when the wheel and tyre is perfectly balanced on a dynamic balancing machine. If the runout is not excessive but sufficient to cause vibration, you'll need to have the tyres road force balanced. If your alloy wheel has excess runout, get it straightened or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #50
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleck View Post

If your tires are worn and need replacing, do it before you spend a bunch of time trying to find the problem.

They will be balanced and ready to then fix the issue if there is one. A bent rim may be discovered during tire change on the balancing machine. Dirt on the mounting surfaces. You say but how would dirt get in there? It develops chemically because the wheel is aluminum and the rotor is steel. Clean all the old weights and crap off the wheel while it's off the car.

Inside tire wear could be alignment but more likely it's the factory camber settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #51
Su37su
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lancer Evolution X

I was having wheel vibration starting at 65mph.
Solved my wheel vibration by removing the spacers installed by the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #52
Teufel_Hunden
Teufel Hunden
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

I was also having steering wheel vibration between 60 and 80 mph, both with and without spacers (15mm front and 12mm rear). Had an alignment done and had the tires balanced. Vibration gone. Haven't reinstalled the spacers yet to see if that causes a vibration.