BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #89
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

So it seems these physically fit ZCP cars, but do ZCP cars lose their ZCP EDC mapping? Meaning, aside from springs, will a ZCP and non-ZCP car, both with these shocks, have the same functionality? Seems like also, besides for springs, the cars will be the same height, since the ZCP height change comes from the shocks (so if you're changing springs with these shocks, ZCP car is no lower).
Also, would you guys with this kit suggest it as an upgrade (both increased comfort in soft mode and better performance in sport mode), or only as a replacement when OE units wear out? Finally, at what mileage are you guys seeing OE EDC shocks wear out?

I am looking to buy an E90 and would like the ZCP package. But wheels are easily changeable and if shock replacements (figure by 60k) with anything but OE loses the ZCP functionality, then no point in ZCP package.

Thanks!

Last edited by wyatth; 08-05-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #90
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I own a ZCP car, and I've changed to these Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks. I've no idea what is the "ZCP functionality".

These are better valved, less crashy over regular roads, and less wobbly over speed bumps versus the stock EDC shocks.

No regrets here.
      08-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #91
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

ZCP functionality means the shocks continue to be variable even on full stiff. This was the main advantage in the zcp version
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #92
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I own a ZCP car, and I've changed to these Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks. I've no idea what is the "ZCP functionality".

These are better valved, less crashy over regular roads, and less wobbly over speed bumps versus the stock EDC shocks.

No regrets here.
Didnt you had the replacement bilstein edc shocks? How does the damptronic shocks compare to them? Did you lower it more? Curious because i dont think the ride height is independent to the shock travel. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:10 AM   #93
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post

No regrets here.
Didnt you had the replacement bilstein edc shocks? How does the damptronic shocks compare to them? Did you lower it more? Curious because i dont think the ride height is independent to the shock travel. Thanks
I believe the Bilstein B6 DampTronic Shocks are just marketed as Bilstein Heavy Duty EDC Replacement Shocks in U.S.
Attached Images

08-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #94
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Ah ok, i thought you had the ones with the height adjustment too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #95
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity
Ah ok, i thought you had the ones with the height adjustment too.
Those are the B16 DampTronic Coilovers.

If those were out when I shopped for the B6D I would have gotten them. With the current exchange rate it's actually similarly priced to what I had paid originally for the B6D.
      08-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #96
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

What Year did you put them in? Updates? I'm thinking about getting them for my 09 as I hav 70k miles and they shocks are gone. I was thinking about pairing with zcp springs? Just go eibach? Which pro kit it seems by drop? Says .8/.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
I love this setup with Eibach and HR front only bar. Why I love this and wont drive my 911 on the track? This (action starts at 1:10 mark) :

Cannot go wrong with the shocks. SUPER comfy on the street and VERY satisfying on the track on Sport mode. I didnt like driving the M3 on DC roads but its a pleasure now.

Lutfy

PS: Not affiliated with Bilstein just a very satisfied consumer.

Last edited by spr; 08-19-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #97
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
What Year did you put them in? Updates? I'm thinking about getting them for my 09 as I hav 70k miles and they shocks are gone. I was thinking about pairing with zcp springs? Just go eibach? Which pro kit it seems by drop? Says .8/.6
No issues so far. Runs like a champ!! Dont pair with ZCP springs, it WILL be identical to current stock as these shocks are stout (as in fresh) so wont sag like your old(ish) stock shocks.

I went with Eibach as I wanted slightly stiffer ride and ZCP ride height. Could go with Swift as I have heard good things about it, they are a tad stiffer but doubt anyone short of FIA Super lic can tell the difference.

As more time has gone by, track to track, my laptimes are almost identical with stock and now Bilstein/Eibach/HR front bar. (both with Camber plates installed and same tire compound). I thought I would be noticeably faster but I am not (tells you how damn good stock suspension is).

Pros:

1) Increased rebound (especially at the back which eliminates the float at high speed when running stickier tires, possibly the reason why I am hair faster in each fast speed corners as observed by PerformanceBox data logger. This is my assumption, be unfair to reach a conclusion just based on this evidence)

2) Much better, supple ride on the streets. This is due to increased suspension travel.

3) Sport mode is more usable which wasnt in the past with non ZCP shocks (static and not dynamic making the car bumpy except in comfort and normal. I ran normal on track with stock shocks due to this).

Disadvantage:

1) They are a bit heavier than stock aluminum bodied shocks.

IF I had the ZCP suspension, I wouldnt have done this mod. But since I didnt, I think performance is on par with that with the exception of better street ride. This could be remedied by cutting the stock bumpstop on the ZCP car.

Would I do it again? (read above) if non ZCP car, then YES!.

Hope this clarifies.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #98
spr
Major
Rep

Bought! Ajusa has best prices on shocks and matched tire rack's price for springs, plus free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #99
spr
Major
Rep

Hey Tom did you install these yet? I just did with Eibach springs and the ride height is the same rear and almost the same front but maybe a tad higher. Also, the edc button seems to do nothing. I have no edc codes or anything. It seems to be stuck in normal mode if I had to guess as it is much stiffer than comfort was before. As the eibachs are supposed lowering of .8/.6 I am incredibly surprised by the stock/higher front height. I have a call in to Bilstein. I installed them all with the battery disconnected. Thoughts???? I am really disappointing. The old stock stuff worked much better as they actually worked. I took it through the canyons and was toggling through the edc setting to no discernible change whatsoever. iI have a background professionally racing cars and own several race cars so I have a very good butt dyno. Sport mode on the stock shocks was way stiffer.

Lufty: Do you notice a big difference between the edc modes like you did before? Mine seem to not be working. Also can you measure and post your ride height front and rear from the fender to the floor. Before I had 26.5LF, 26.5RF, 27 LR, 26.75 RR. Now I have 27 LF, 26.75 RF, 27 RR, 26.75 RR. Did your springs settle???? What are your heights. I am LIVID. I paid 2k for worse and higher setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Happy thursday!

Just a quick pic what arrived today from Bilstein. Finally, a PnP solution for EDC-equipped M3s:

We'll be installing these shortly, will give an update when completed.

Last edited by spr; 08-27-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #100
spr
Major
Rep

It is just the program on the EDC ECU. I am advised that the shocks other than the dispute as to the lower spring perch on the struts on the ZCP'S are the same. I have also read that the springs ZCP and non are the exact same spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I believe, even if the struts were dynamic in the 3 modes, the car must be coded as well. It may sound strange, but I like the non-active sports mode, for the predictability.
      08-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #101
spr
Major
Rep

Lufty, did you notice the eibach drop spec immediately or did they take time to settle??? I just installed with the eibachs and have the exact same height????

Quote:
I wrote a short snippet on another thread but here is a bit of a longer version of my review:

Install:

Fairly easy. Very well developed product with the wiring diagram, connections etc. Truly a plug and play solution. Took me a hell of a time to get these in place but end result was worth it. No EDC failure light and EDC works in all three modes. Installed with GC Camber plates and Eibach Springs. NO ISSUES with the install piece.

Why Eibach? Most Bilstein shocks have been matched to a tad higher rate than stock and they sell Eibachs as a kit. During my E36 M3 years, I spoke with Bilstein and the shocks were designed to mate with stock Euro M3 springs (10-15% higher than US spec) and they recommended Eibach back in the days as well. Perhaps the partnership...

HD vs Sport? The different is the shorter shaft in Sport and has nothing to do with dampening/valving. So no performance benefit except being slammed.

Drive:

Actually MUCH better than stock in comfort mode. There is a built in bump stop inside the front strut (rear shock has its own bump stop) so increased suspension travel. The shaft is MUCH thicker than the stock one altough you are adding a good bit of weight with these steel bodied shocks. Stock shocks are an amazing piece of work to be all aluminum.

I couldnt find that much of a different in normal but under sport the car drives stiffer for sure. Even in bumpy DC streets, the ride is significantly better than stock as I am not hopping. This is also due to the fact these shocks have greater rebound whereas the stock ones lacked that.

Ride Height:

People complain about these sitting higher than stock. Not in my case. The car was measured before and after and is on par with the Eibach drop spec.

Spirited Driving:

I cannot speak to the shocks in isolation but these shocks along with Eibachs and H&R Front bar is just incredible. Very very tolerable on the street with relatively flat in the corners.

Am happy with the outcome. For the money I could have gotten the V3 kit (if you compare retail to retail for the shocks, springs, bar) but I wanted the EDC functionality and did not want to compromise street performance for marginal improvement on track as I a NOT racing or time trailing this.

The feel and overall driving factor has been greatly enhanced.

I did compare it back to back with my friend's ZCP and you can tell this car is both more responsive and more comfortable (again due to increased suspension travel and not bouncing on bump stops).

If you have been considering these, you wont regret it.

Hope this helps.

Lutfy
      08-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #102
spr
Major
Rep

Also, here is the info that I received after inquiring with Bilstein's technical people before purchase:

Hi Sean,

Sorry the delay,

The B6 DampTronic will accommodate all OE springs (YES, ZCP) and lower springs. The dampers themselves have nothing to do with any of the programing. Whether using the ZCP program or the standard program, the B6 DampTronic dampers will work and keep the functions of those programs. The active ZCP program is controlled by additional speed and angle sensors along with the different programing which are all OE parts. The BMW OE dampers themselves do not change between ZCP and non-ZCP, it’s all in the additional sensors and program.

The perch is NOT higher. It is located in the same location as OE. As mentioned many times before, BMW dampers are known to sag over time causing a lower ride height. Please refer to BMWs own OE ride height spec, any new damper will bring the vehicle to that spec. Monotube high pressure tubes can add at the most 1-2mm of higher ride height. Again, these dampers are compatible with all of the different iterations. Ride height can be perceived as different when aftermarket wheels and tires are installed which most M cars have.

From bottom of rim to fender.

18" Wheels
Front: 610 mm
Rear: 594 mm

19" Wheels
Front: 623 mm
Rear: 607 mm

Competition package: -10 mm from above specs.

Best Regards,

Mike Ritchie
Technical Training & Sales Expert

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America, Inc.
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA 92064
Office: +1 858 386-5909
Fax: +1 858 386-5905
Email: michael.ritchie@bilsteinUS.com
http://www.bilsteinUS.com
http://www.facebook.com/bilsteinUS
      08-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #103
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks spr.

I'm going to be putting on Swift Spec-R springs on my ZCP car with the B6 DampTronic (currently on ZCP springs).

I'll see if they match better than the ZCP springs.
      08-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #104
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Lufty, did you notice the eibach drop spec immediately or did they take time to settle??? I just installed with the eibachs and have the exact same height????
I read the memo from Bilstein. Interesting to know ZCP setting is ECU/sensor based and not the actual shock/struts. In that situation, normal setting to be better on the track!

SPR dont worry Give it a bit of time. Bilstein is spot on on the stock shocks sagging a bit (I had posted about this earlier too). And the Eibach springs actually got my car to the ZCP level (hair close to) vs advertised Eibach drop setting on my car. Give it time to settle in. The above was measured and I had a slight drop (a little bit after driving for a tank full of gas).

Since you have a motorsport background, you will be pleased to know these shocks have greater rebound than stock and give much better control (especially rear end at high speed sweepers).

Long and short, these are OEM quality (tad better with compression/rebound) to take any aftermarket oem diameter springs (non coil over). Take it out in crappy city streets in soft setting and you will be pleased how compliant the car is.

Enjoy your new shocks and report back.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #105
spr
Major
Rep

Thanks Lufty. Well I can confirm that the rear self leveler definitely is used for both the self leveling lights and the EDC computer. When I did the install the self leveler arm split and I tried fixing it. It didn't work properly and the result was it was frozen in normal mode. I replaced the leveler sensor and it works great.

However, the height is still stock to what it was before at 2 fingers front and 1 rear, e.g. there is no drop despite using lowering springs!

Otherwise, I did a canyon drive this weekend and the car is great. Gone is the floatiness and bottoming out in sections. The car is far more stable and has less roll all around. The compression and rebound is much improved even over stock as well.
      08-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #106
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Just had my car dropped off for the Swift Spec-R Springs installation, and I will report back later for changes
      09-03-2015, 11:42 PM   #107
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Swift Spec-R Springs installed on the B6 DampTronics. The ride height pre-settle is about one finger. I feel that there's about a 10-15% increase in stiffness over the ZCP springs.

09-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #108
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Have any of guys tried the coilover version of these B16 struts?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153206

Still waiting on some reviews on this product...
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #109
spr
Major
Rep

What are you ride heights? I used the eibach pro kit with them and it raised the front from 26.5 fender to ground to now 17????

Quote:
No issues so far. Runs like a champ!! Dont pair with ZCP springs, it WILL be identical to current stock as these shocks are stout (as in fresh) so wont sag like your old(ish) stock shocks.

I went with Eibach as I wanted slightly stiffer ride and ZCP ride height. Could go with Swift as I have heard good things about it, they are a tad stiffer but doubt anyone short of FIA Super lic can tell the difference.

As more time has gone by, track to track, my laptimes are almost identical with stock and now Bilstein/Eibach/HR front bar. (both with Camber plates installed and same tire compound). I thought I would be noticeably faster but I am not (tells you how damn good stock suspension is).

Pros:

1) Increased rebound (especially at the back which eliminates the float at high speed when running stickier tires, possibly the reason why I am hair faster in each fast speed corners as observed by PerformanceBox data logger. This is my assumption, be unfair to reach a conclusion just based on this evidence)

2) Much better, supple ride on the streets. This is due to increased suspension travel.

3) Sport mode is more usable which wasnt in the past with non ZCP shocks (static and not dynamic making the car bumpy except in comfort and normal. I ran normal on track with stock shocks due to this).

Disadvantage:

1) They are a bit heavier than stock aluminum bodied shocks.

IF I had the ZCP suspension, I wouldnt have done this mod. But since I didnt, I think performance is on par with that with the exception of better street ride. This could be remedied by cutting the stock bumpstop on the ZCP car.

Would I do it again? (read above) if non ZCP car, then YES!.

Hope this clarifies.

Lutfy
      10-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #110
spr
Major
Rep

What are your ride heights before and after???? I am having a huge issue as the rear lowered as advertised but the front raised .5"?????

Quote:
I read the memo from Bilstein. Interesting to know ZCP setting is ECU/sensor based and not the actual shock/struts. In that situation, normal setting to be better on the track!

SPR dont worry Give it a bit of time. Bilstein is spot on on the stock shocks sagging a bit (I had posted about this earlier too). And the Eibach springs actually got my car to the ZCP level (hair close to) vs advertised Eibach drop setting on my car. Give it time to settle in. The above was measured and I had a slight drop (a little bit after driving for a tank full of gas).

Since you have a motorsport background, you will be pleased to know these shocks have greater rebound than stock and give much better control (especially rear end at high speed sweepers).

Long and short, these are OEM quality (tad better with compression/rebound) to take any aftermarket oem diameter springs (non coil over). Take it out in crappy city streets in soft setting and you will be pleased how compliant the car is.

Enjoy your new shocks and report back.

Cheers,

Lutfy