BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #45
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Jason Cammisa - the American version of Jeremy Clarkson lmao
I desire to have a pint or coffee with Jason

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxol4clQQ...mLn54kBMtNHRGy
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #46
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I can't stand Throttle House and The Straight Pipes. The attempt at situational/sophomoric comedy is simply not funny to me and more irritating than anything. Just review the car and provide valuable insights to your audience. I find that a lot of these YT'ers benefit from "performing" and having great production. Very few of actually provide any real insights and are good at what they do.
I still enjoy Throttle House but I will say I don't find Thomas to be exactly genuine. He seems to try and put on an act with his hot takes and fake laughs. Trying to be a Walmart Jeremy Clarkson. James seems the more genuine of the two.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:45 AM   #47
mthused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 50 Jahre M3, 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I still enjoy Throttle House but I will say I don't find Thomas to be exactly genuine. He seems to try and put on an act with his hot takes and fake laughs. Trying to be a Walmart Jeremy Clarkson. James seems the more genuine of the two.
I had an interesting experience with these guys- met them randomly when I was out driving my G80 on Little Tujunga Canyon Road (near Los Angeles for non-locals) one Sunday a few months ago.

I saw one of the new Ferrari 296 GTBs pulled over in one of the turnouts, and I pulled over to look at/drool over it. Surprise, it was them doing a review of the car and shooting that day. Once I realized it was them- I said something to the effect of 'Hey- you're the Throttle House guys!' and said I appreciated their videos and work.

We chatted for about 10-15 minutes and they were extremely friendly and gracious, taking time out of their work day to just have a random conversation with a stranger about cars and take a couple of selfies with me and my M3, including their camera guy in the conversation as well.

While I share your opinion that their comedy is a bit forced, they seem to be genuinely good guys and authentic about their extreme interest in things automotive...
Appreciate 5
Germanauto9698.00
heavyD^23688.50
KRS_SN13380.50
Accentu8702.50
      06-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #48
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthused View Post
I had an interesting experience with these guys- met them randomly when I was out driving my G80 on Little Tujunga Canyon Road (near Los Angeles for non-locals) one Sunday a few months ago.

I saw one of the new Ferrari 296 GTBs pulled over in one of the turnouts, and I pulled over to look at/drool over it. Surprise, it was them doing a review of the car and shooting that day. Once I realized it was them- I said something to the effect of 'Hey- you're the Throttle House guys!' and said I appreciated their videos and work.

We chatted for about 10-15 minutes and they were extremely friendly and gracious, taking time out of their work day to just have a random conversation with a stranger about cars and take a couple of selfies with me and my M3, including their camera guy in the conversation as well.

While I share your opinion that their comedy is a bit forced, they seem to be genuinely good guys and authentic about their extreme interest in things automotive...
Yeah I agree. I think these guys were teachers or something before starting Youtube. Just a couple regular dudes with a passion for cars. On a side note I've yet to drive Little Tujunga, always end up out in Malibu for some reason.

I had met the Vehicle virgins guys once when that channel was still a thing. Both, including Parker, were actually pretty down to earth and easy to talk to.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #49
mthused
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Yeah I agree. I think these guys were teachers or something before starting Youtube. Just a couple regular dudes with a passion for cars. On a side note I've yet to drive Little Tujunga, always end up out in Malibu for some reason.

I had met the Vehicle virgins guys once when that channel was still a thing. Both, including Parker, were actually pretty down to earth and easy to talk to.
Not to thread drift (much), but Little Tujunga is definitely a fun drive. Very technical and there are a few tight spots with blind corners up to and along a narrow ridge section, so you need to watch speed and be very careful there. Otherwise highly recommended. A little off the beaten path, so there's usually not too much traffic either, though it's well known by locals. I live pretty close to there, so it's one of my favorites among lots of great canyon roads in the area.

Back to YouTubers!

For general car reviews, I agree with pretty much everyone that's posted, including that I can't stand Schmee and have a low tolerance for SavageGeese.

I generally like Joe Achilles, but he rambles a bit.

I appreciate Throttle House (more now), but as mentioned the comedy often misses.

Some of Jason Cammisa's work is excellent, particularly the 'Icons' series.

Not really into The Smoking Tire, though some of Matt's insights are good.

Before I bought my G80, I watched all of the YT reviews I could find on the car, so exposed to lots of choices.

Off-topic again (sorry), here's some other YT car stuff that's awesome (IMO):
I really like M539 Restorations, and I love the years-long Project Binky series from Bad Obsession Motorsport.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

So what irks ppl about SavageGeese, too smug? ...his fans are annoying too, how?!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #51
mthused
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So what irks ppl about SavageGeese, too smug? ...his fans are annoying too, how?!
I think smug is a good word for it. Just his delivery and apparent attitude can put me off. No opinion on fans of any of these people- doesn't matter to me.

Matt Farah can also project the same way, especially recently- my opinion might be colored from when I met him at a local C&C. He came across as fairly full of himself in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #52
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think smug is a good word for it. Just his delivery and apparent attitude can put me off. No opinion on fans of any of these people- doesn't matter to me.

Matt Farah can also project the same way, especially recently- my opinion might be colored from when I met him at a local C&C. He came across as fairly full of himself in person.
True, initially when I saw his videos, he really does come across as that but I've come to get used to him esp since he knows his stuff and is the only (or few) one who does the undercarriage thing.

Too bad about Matt, never meet your 'heroes', I guess?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #53
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

THis doesn't surprise me, they're the best youtubers by a million miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 11:02 PM   #54
mthused
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
True, initially when I saw his videos, he really does come across as that but I've come to get used to him esp since he knows his stuff and is the only (or few) one who does the undercarriage thing.

Too bad about Matt, never meet your 'heroes', I guess?
I'm probably being too harsh about Matt- was maybe just the day. His new pink 718 Spyder with the engine swap is pretty sweet though! That's what he brought both times I met him.

Santa Clarita Porsche hosts a fantastic C&C every 1st Saturday of the month (going tomorrow!). That's where I met Matt, Leno, and David Tracy from the Autopian (formerly Jalopnik). They weren't all there at the same event, but I try to go every month I can. Always interesting cars and people show up.

David Tracy is also a very nice and fun guy to talk with. If you're local, 9:00AM tomorrow @ Porsche Santa Clarita in Valencia- recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 11:06 PM   #55
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Dislike:

Top Gear
Chris Harris
The Straight Pipes
Doug Demuro
Matt Farah
Supercar Blondie
Joe Achilles
Schmeeeeee

Like:

Petrolicious
Throttle House
The Smoking Tire
John Cadogan
Carwow
Quattroruote
Carfection

Love:

Harry's Garage
AutoTopNL
Everything Hagerty (Jason Camissa)
Savagegeese
Car and Driving
EVO
Davide Cironi
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 08:30 AM   #56
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably being too harsh about Matt- was maybe just the day. His new pink 718 Spyder with the engine swap is pretty sweet though! That's what he brought both times I met him.

Santa Clarita Porsche hosts a fantastic C&C every 1st Saturday of the month (going tomorrow!). That's where I met Matt, Leno, and David Tracy from the Autopian (formerly Jalopnik). They weren't all there at the same event, but I try to go every month I can. Always interesting cars and people show up.

David Tracy is also a very nice and fun guy to talk with. If you're local, 9:00AM tomorrow @ Porsche Santa Clarita in Valencia- recommended.
Tx, wish I was local, your climate is to die for.
Appreciate 0