BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
RS4now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 space gray

Test pipes with OEM exhaust!

I have read the threads and did a few searches. what i am wondering is if anyone is actually running just test pipes with oem exhaust and of course a tune or at lease CEL delete? On my Rs4 you really did not have such an easy option. If anyone is doing this, whats it really sound like in the car and have you noticed any improvements? or drawbacks? thank you in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4now View Post
I have read the threads and did a few searches. what i am wondering is if anyone is actually running just test pipes with oem exhaust and of course a tune or at lease CEL delete? On my Rs4 you really did not have such an easy option. If anyone is doing this, whats it really sound like in the car and have you noticed any improvements? or drawbacks? thank you in advance for your input.
There is actually a few in the area who are running it. I will have to look back (they were VS Motorsports Customers)

Let me look and I can try to get you in touch with someone
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I've seen it a few times on the forums. The performance improvement (go with a tune as well) is very noticeable. Sound will absolutely be louder as well, but I think with stock exhaust, you'll be fine.

Besides, there are plenty of reasonable alternatives if you don't like.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm running TP's and stock exhaust now and do not like the sound from inside the cabin. My personal preference is a deeper throatier sound. I loved the OEM ACM mod but when I later wanted to add TP's I realized after listenign to other cars with that combo it was TOO loud. I'm putting in a Megan Racing exhaust this week, my friend did it already and it sounds great IMO. I have the BPM tune as well and LOVE it. I edited it, hopefully it took, it was upside down.

Last edited by Trip3's; 07-10-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
I'm running it now and do not like the sound from inside the cabin. My personal preference is a deeper throatier sound. I loved the OEM ACM mod, but paired with TP's it was just TOO loud. PM me your email address and I can send you a short video I took on my phone. I'm putting in a Megan Racing exhaust this week, my friend did it already and it sounds great IMO. I have the BPM tune as well and LOVE it.
Agreed. ACM exhaust by itself was one of the best sounding exhausts out there IMO. Went TP and didn't like it at all (my friends loved it for some reason).

Switched the exhaust out within a month. Having said that, OP is talking about stock exhaust, not modded ones.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

For me personal it's sounds to throaty ,but ads HP & torque !
I have done the Oem. exhaust mod.(replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and it's just perfect
So here you go v v v the stock oem. exhaust & MS test pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Agreed. ACM exhaust by itself was one of the best sounding exhausts out there IMO. Went TP and didn't like it at all (my friends loved it for some reason).

Switched the exhaust out within a month. Having said that, OP is talking about stock exhaust, not modded ones.

Thanks, I added my original post as it was unclear.
      07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
I'm running it now and do not like the sound from inside the cabin. My personal preference is a deeper throatier sound. I loved the OEM ACM mod, but paired with TP's it was just TOO loud. I'm putting in a Megan Racing exhaust this week, my friend did it already and it sounds great IMO. I have the BPM tune as well and LOVE it. I edited it, hopefully it took, it was upside down.
Actualy i like your exhaust sound
Strange i just posted a video above ... Oem stock exhaust & MS test pipes,and it sounds way to throaty
I just saw your video with ACM & test pipes,this sounds deeper and better
And BTW...THX for sharing your video...good video and like it on the end when you crossed through the image... very cool man
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Belgium, and just to be clear I have TP's and stock exhaust. I had ACM originally and switched it back to stock exhaust when I added the TP's.
      07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I am down in Indy, but I have stock exhaust with Test Pipes. Sound is a louder above 3000 rpm when you are on the gas, maybe a little more airy (not quite rasp) sounding. If I come up to Chicago and bring the M (usually don't bring it), you are more than welcome to have a listen.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
RS4now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I am down in Indy, but I have stock exhaust with Test Pipes. Sound is a louder above 3000 rpm when you are on the gas, maybe a little more airy (not quite rasp) sounding. If I come up to Chicago and bring the M (usually don't bring it), you are more than welcome to have a listen.
thanks! that would be great. keep me posted. I dont even have mine yet, scheduled to arrive by the end of the month, so definitely not in any hurry. thanks to all who replied thus far, this is the info i wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

I have MS test pipes with the stock exhaust. In the cabin cruising you don't hear much but at WOT it's very nice in my opinion especially outside of the car, got a ton of complements (note though I am supercharged which may make some difference). Here is a clip that VF posted, I think it sounds great.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...04&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Seeing you are local to our US warehouse I can provide you with our test pipe and tune Let me know if you are interested
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
We have a lot of customers that use either the ACM or Turner test pipes and they have been really happy with that setup paired w/ tune.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
I have MS test pipes with the stock exhaust. In the cabin cruising you don't hear much but at WOT it's very nice in my opinion especially outside of the car, got a ton of complements (note though I am supercharged which may make some difference). Here is a clip that VF posted, I think it sounds great.

Here i heard....the sound of power !
But honestly,for me personal it's to loud,for a track car it's a great sound,but i don't dare to think that i start this car along my neighbors at 04.30 AM like this week,i would have a police visit at my front door
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Here i heard....the sound of power !
But honestly,for me personal it's to loud,for a track car it's a great sound,but i don't dare to think that i start this car along my neighbors at 04.30 AM like this week,i would have a police visit at my front door
With a stock exhaust, it is not too loud. Yes, it is objective and every person hears differently. But unless you are hauling butt in your neighborhood (like Bieber), your car will not sound louder. Tune out the cold start..my car with test pipes is now quieter then completely stock with cold start.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
With a stock exhaust, it is not too loud. Yes, it is objective and every person hears differently. But unless you are hauling butt in your neighborhood (like Bieber), your car will not sound louder. Tune out the cold start..my car with test pipes is now quieter then completely stock with cold start.
Agreed , but test pipes is here in Belgium a big problem !
It's the yearly car inspection man ?!?! they look under the car and the imissions.... ! ( would have a no pass)
BTW....my cold start cycle is already removed with my BPM tune i
And my ears are open to hear of a solution from someone ???
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Agreed , but test pipes is here in Belgium a big problem !
It's the yearly car inspection man ?!?! they look under the car and the imissions.... ! ( would have a no pass)
BTW....my cold start cycle is already removed with my BPM tune i
And my ears are open to hear of a solution from someone ???
I apologize. Your wording made it sound like the loudness was a problem for you in Belgium which is why you wouldn't get test pipes (wake up neighbors at 0430). I fully understand the inpsection ordeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Can anybody post a video of OEM Muffler with either a x-pipe or test pipe???
Moving though, not stand still!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I have this setup (test pipes w/oem muffler) and I love it. Definitely adds a little growl but not too loud or raspy at all. I have gotten compliments from quite a few people as well, asking me what exhaust setup I have. The secondary cats and resonator also keep it from being stinky and way too loud.

I will try to take a video tonight and post it up on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
We have a lot of customers that use either the ACM or Turner test pipes and they have been really happy with that setup paired w/ tune.
I have MPE with ACM TP with BPM Stage II. Couldn't be more happier. No one will know that you had some kind of mod until you floor the damn thing and boy, doesn't it sing. I think the TP complements the character of MPE better with a tune. I've only had good feedback to date. Only had it since Christmas eve.
      01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3

Is this stock or modded stock exhaust?

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0