BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
jeho
ig: jeffersonho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E90M3.E36M3

IBS electrical or starter issue

Read a few threads about the IBS (BMW Intelligent Battery Sensor) and how it does wonky stuff for our vehicles.

Just hoping someone can chime in with expertise/opinion on what they think I should try first before spending a bunch of $ of things that may not be the culprit.

Issue: Car sometimes does not start on the 1st when pressing the START button but fires up immediately/strongly on 2nd or 3rd attempt.
- I hear the initial Click sound
- all my power lights and accessories work fine
- no CEL and no all dashboard light error
**Also, I have AirLift AirBags/Compressor and my 30A fuse keeps popping randomly (this Fuse is connected directly to the battery, thinking this may be the IBS pulling abnormal electric surges?)

Things i've Checked/Confirmed:
- Car Off = 12.7-8v & Battery @ 1 year old (battery seems to be holding charge)
- Car Started/Driving = 13.9-14.4V (Alternator seems to be doing fine? Voltage seems right)
- absolutely no hesitation in car starting when it starts
- drives perfectly fine no RPM dips
- reattached all my battery cables / checked for corrosion/wire issues

Does this sound like an
1. IBS sensor issue
2. starter motor but i doubt it since it starts up strong/fine?
3. clutch switch sensor

Thanks in advance for ur opinion on which steps would you try first.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

What condition is the engine ground strap from the oil pan to frame rail on the drivers side by the header collector. With age they can disintegrate and cause issues. To test, rig up a set of jumper cables as extra engine to chassis ground and then try starting. If no difference, the engine to chassis ground is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

I had one compressor and it always blew my 30amp fuses until I installed the 2nd compressor
Check with your local dealer if they can recall the IBS, Mashimarho had it done on his N55 E92. I would but I'm in Germany and the car is in San Diego. When I ship it here, I'll ask the dealer to check it out.
I have the code showing faulty alternator but it holds the same charge as you above but I have to keep the car on a tender while its in the garage or it drains for no reason. I bought one valet alternator to be installed next week. Since my car is a 2010 but it was factory built in 2009. I no doubt like my last N52 E90 the starter will die without warning. Died at 9 yrs old. So I bought a remanufactured starter from fcp to be installed too
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Nando_msport
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i m-sport

Garage List
Hello!! Op did you end up finding the problem? I am having the same problem and is frustrating
Appreciate 0