BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

11-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #45
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I will also be driving in the WRL endurance races at COTA next weekend. Was able to catch a ride in a M240i Racing . Absolutely going to be a blast - counting down the days!
Nice update on the car, glad to see it coming together and AWESOME on catching a ride in an M240i Racing for WRL!
      11-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #46
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Did you go into the build shooting for a specific weight based on your power? Did they dyno the car before it got ripped apart? I’m assuming this new intake setup and catless should affect power.

I’m always curious about the decision making process when determining weight versus power when trying to enter specific classes.
Kind of yes and no. We went into knowing a range that we will want to operate in and then trying to keep the car adjustable based on the application. The goal is to get it light and then come back with ballast for balance or to meet the weight:hp limit. The main class will be ST3 in NASA - so we are keeping that in mind as kind of the ceiling. Might have to add a bit of weight if we decide to drive in WRL someday, but don't think that will be much of an issue. When we slot into GT2 with SCCA we will be allowed to lower the weight & increase the power. So kind of yes we have a range that we should fall in - but not a specific fixed build.

On the power side - if we find that the car is producing too much power for the weight that we want to run we will have the option to dial it down. Will go back to the high flow cats or even an oem setup if need be. I'm hoping the intake doesn't affect the power level too much on the dyno and it helps as more of a ram air effect. If it does bump the power a bit on the dyno though then we will just have to adjust to account for it as need be. We are hoping the benefits of opening up the intake & feeding in cooler air (hopefully) and keeping the car happier on long runs outweighs any weight penalty we have to incur to cover it.

I do plan to test the car in different configurations too - see what works best for me. Lighter & lower power vs heavier & more power, etc. since we will have a bit of flexibility.

The ultimate goal with this car is that after it retires from competitive racing that we drop it to the lowest balanced weight we can get to and then drop a SYT_Shadow style stroker in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Nice update on the car, glad to see it coming together and AWESOME on catching a ride in an M240i Racing for WRL!
Thanks! Really looking forward to WRL - ought to be a riot.

Last edited by OG Shark; 11-14-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      11-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #47
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Kind of yes and no. We went into knowing a range that we will want to operate in and then trying to keep the car adjustable based on the application. The goal is to get it light and then come back with ballast for balance or to meet the weight:hp limit. The main class with be ST3 in NASA - so we are keeping that in mind as kind of the ceiling. Might have to add a bit of weight if we decide to drive in WRL someday, but don't think that will be much of an issue. When we slot into GT2 with SCCA we will be allowed to lower the weight & increase the power. So kind of yes we have a range that we should fall in - but not a specific fixed build.

On the power side - if we find that the car is producing too much power for the weight that we want to run we will have the option to dial it down. Will go back to the high flow cats or even an oem setup if need be. I'm hoping the intake doesn't affect the power level too much on the dyno and it helps as more of a ram air effect. If it does bump the power a bit on the dyno though then we will just have to adjust to account for it as need be. We are hoping the benefits of opening up the intake & feeding in cooler air (hopefully) and keeping the car happier on long runs outweighs any weight penalty we have to incur to cover it.

I do plan to test the car in different configurations too - see what works best for me. Lighter & lower power vs heavier & more power, etc. since we will have a bit of flexibility.

The ultimate goal with this car is that after it retires from competitive racing that we drop it to the lowest balanced weight we can get to and then drop a SYT_Shadow style stroker in it.
Very cool!! It will be interesting to see what you decide to go with for the racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #48
OG Shark
Rep

Awesome weekend at the WRL Endurance Races at COTA

Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      11-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #49
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

how are you planning on completing that intake?
      11-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #50
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how are you planning on completing that intake?
Custom fab to feed straight back from the kidney grills. Hope to have it in the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #51
OG Shark
Rep

Appreciate 4
///Mobbin1478.00
roastbeef11584.50
Bartledoo2691.50
      12-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #52
OG Shark
Rep

Here is some video from WRL @ COTA in the M240iR. Not the most exciting footage & not the M3 in action yet - but meant a lot to me as this was my first wheel to wheel racing outside of the two racing school sprints. Had a blast, got progressively better all weekend, and didn't wreck the car - triple win!

First video is the 2nd half of my opening Sunday stint to start the race. Can't get the 1st half footage to play nice with my computer right now - it's actually more fun to watch the start of the race with 90 cars flying into turn 1 blinded by the sun going up the hill. The second video is my last stint on Sunday to finish the race. Notable was the meatball flag I received with four laps left in the race. Apparently the tape fix to patch some damage from one of the previous driver's stints finally had enough and my passenger door was swinging wide open on left turns They got it all taped back up and was able to finish the race.

Like I said, not exactly the most riveting footage - just meant a lot to me to get my first races under my belt. Some good, some bad, & some ugly mixed in there - but really feel like I finished the weekend an improved racer.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #53
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
That thing looked like a wild ride!
      12-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #54
OG Shark
Rep

Update

Getting closer to a full race car sighting!

Pic isn't that great but you can see a car starting to reform from the previous mess of wires & metal. Going to take some detailed pics once it is off the lift.

We look to be within a couple of weeks for the first test run. The cage is all buttoned up, the seat mounted, fuel cell installed, diff has been assembled & installed - the major hurdles have finally been cleared. Lots more to do but we should have it ready to hit the track around New Year's for it's first shakedown.

We have made some changes to the build in the last couple of months and also rearranged priorities a bit. Converting to a MCS 3 way setup with rear coilovers along with Bimmerworld's full set of control arms. Also have a pair of MA Shaw's fiberglass doors going on to help clear the door bars on the cage. Front aero is going to be somewhat simple for now with a Hard Motorsports splitter.

Unfortunately the Karbonius race air box & custom intake have moved down on the priority list. Going to MSR Houston Jan 25 for NASA's first race of the year which will also serve as my evaluation for my license with them. We are then going to turnaround a couple of weeks later and run in SCCA's Lone Star Grand Prix at COTA Feb 8. Going to be running in ST3 with NASA and T1 with SCCA. The E9x M3 platform has a couple of options to determine minimum weight with driver in SCCA - (1) run oem plenum & filter assembly for a 3150lb min., or (2) can alter the filter and intake location but have to use the oem plenum and include a restrictor plate for a 3300lb min. 3300lb including driver sounds a lot more realistic for this build so we are going to go with option 2. Either way we have to use the oem plenum so the Karbonius air box is getting pushed back for now. Looking at running a Geoff Steel intake matched up to the oem plenum for these first couple of races. After the SCCA race we will likely concentrate more on NASA and then work the new intake setup into the mix. Will also hold off on the venting from the radiator to the hood until then. Going with the 3300lb minimum for SCCA also should make the transition to the NASA minimum we end up at easier as well. Thinking that will be around the 3500lb mark with driver.

Have a plan set for tires. Going to run Hoosier R7 in 295/30/18 front and 315/30/18 rear in both NASA & SCCA. Also looking at running the same sizes in Yoko A052 in races with treadwear restrictions (ie WRL).

Starting to stock the trailer with consumables, spare parts, etc - ugh. Between all that & the stupid number of tires needed to get going its gotten a bit on the rough side. Everyone thinks I'm joking when they ask what I want for Christmas and I tell them tires...
Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1478.00
b4hand661.00
      12-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #55
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Getting closer to a full race car sighting!

R7 in 295/30/18 front and 315/30/18 rear in both NASA & SCCA. Also looking at running the same sizes in Yoko A052 in races with treadwear restrictions (ie WRL).

Starting to stock the trailer with consumables, spare parts, etc - ugh. Between all that & the stupid number of tires needed to get going its gotten a bit on the rough side. Everyone thinks I'm joking when they ask what I want for Christmas and I tell them tires...
Car looks like it’s coming together nicely!

Are you running Hoosiers for contingencies? Are you able to run BFG R1S? Excellent tire. I would argue it’s faster than R7 and it runs a long time just like a hard compound slick.

hehe it’s funny to watch how a trailer gets loaded up. The list of things that need to go in it is just endless. You know the one thing I’ve never bought that I should have? A broom. Hahaha. My friend has one so I use his, but I use it all the time. It’s ridiculous how much gravel and rocks ends up in my trailer from three sets of sticky race tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #56
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Those hood vents look mean! Anxious to see it in person sometime soon.
      12-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #57
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

Are you running Hoosiers for contingencies? Are you able to run BFG R1S? Excellent tire. I would argue it’s faster than R7 and it runs a long time just like a hard compound slick.

hehe it’s funny to watch how a trailer gets loaded up. The list of things that need to go in it is just endless. You know the one thing I’ve never bought that I should have? A broom. Hahaha. My friend has one so I use his, but I use it all the time. It’s ridiculous how much gravel and rocks ends up in my trailer from three sets of sticky race tires.
Funny you mention the broom - always at the top of the list after each time out with the trailer but never seem to remember in between trips. Always end up doing the foot drag cleaning thing. So many damn little rocks...

Not as much for the contingencies with the tires.- although that would be awesome if I am able to place high enough to qualify for them. The R1S is definitely the other option compared to the R7. I know the R1S 285 fits up front but would be concerned about their 315/30 in the rear since they run on the large size. Think I might already be pushing it with the R7 315 & rear coilover? Going to see how much room there is after everything is back together - if it looks like there is more room then will definitely give the BFGs a test. I do have the option to run slicks in NASA but would come with a ~175lb penalty. From what I can tell that is not an option with SCCA. I'm also basing all of this on the assumption that the 315 R7 would be faster than the 285 R1S - which would probably be good to verify as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It's definitely getting there. Likely will not be very polished at first, but hopefully by the time the BMW club race at COTA comes around in June we will have everything how we want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #58
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Funny you mention the broom - always at the top of the list after each time out with the trailer but never seem to remember in between trips. Always end up doing the foot drag cleaning thing. So many damn little rocks...

Not as much for the contingencies with the tires.- although that would be awesome if I am able to place high enough to qualify for them. The R1S is definitely the other option compared to the R7. I know the R1S 285 fits up front but would be concerned about their 315/30 in the rear since they run on the large size. Think I might already be pushing it with the R7 315 & rear coilover? Going to see how much room there is after everything is back together - if it looks like there is more room then will definitely give the BFGs a test. I do have the option to run slicks in NASA but would come with a ~175lb penalty. From what I can tell that is not an option with SCCA. I'm also basing all of this on the assumption that the 315 R7 would be faster than the 285 R1S - which would probably be good to verify as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It's definitely getting there. Likely will not be very polished at first, but hopefully by the time the BMW club race at COTA comes around in June we will have everything how we want it.
Definitely look through the SCCA T1 regs to see what is allowed. And re-read every month as they are updated throughout the year. I know that many use the A7 in T3 and GT2. The R7 isn't going to be quite quick enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #59
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Definitely look through the SCCA T1 regs to see what is allowed. And re-read every month as they are updated throughout the year. I know that many use the A7 in T3 and GT2. The R7 isn't going to be quite quick enough.
Interesting about the A7 - I was under the impression the A7 fell off after a couple of hot laps & the R7 would be more consistent over the length of the race. Sounds like I definitely need to take another look at that. Is that what you run in GT2?

I hear you on the regs, I could certainly do better keeping up with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #60
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Looks great Jason! Wonder how I could see it before June though, that is a quite a ways away. Also, I heard you were thinking of getting a RaceTech seat? If so, I could buy that omp off of ya. Shoot me a text sometime!

Do you plan for lexan/polycarb windows?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #61
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Looks great Jason! Wonder how I could see it before June though, that is a quite a ways away. Also, I heard you were thinking of getting a RaceTech seat? If so, I could buy that omp off of ya. Shoot me a text sometime!

Do you plan for lexan/polycarb windows?
Thanks! Going to be doing a lot of testing out at Harris Hill the next few months - welcome to bring your car out and join us any time. They do charge a bit for guests but it's pretty much open track when we go which is typically during the week.

Have polycarbonate ready to go on the car. Replacing all the glass except the doors since we are ditching them. http://www.racingshields.com/about/ . They look great out of the box; hopefully they perform well too.

I'm going to keep the OMP seat for now & see how I like it for a bit. If I decide to switch will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #62
OG Shark
Rep

So I have all these good parts laying around that either were taken off the race car or never made it on there. Corsa rear section, Gintani Xpipe, Karbonius intake, just to name a few... So the logical thing to do is to obviously get an E90 M3 on the way - I have serious issues...

ETA middish January
Appreciate 6
kyippee1072.00
b4hand661.00
Montaver2164.00
///Mobbin1478.00
      12-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #63
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So I have all these good parts laying around that either were taken off the race car or never made it on there. Corsa rear section, Gintani Xpipe, Karbonius intake, just to name a few... So the logical thing to do is to obviously get an E90 M3 on the way - I have serious issues...

ETA middish January
hehe someone caught the bug BIG TIME!!!!! Mwuhahahaha Awesome!! I mean....uhhh....welcome to the group therapy forum......my name is dogbone. I’ve been coming here for 8 years. Did your wife send you here too?
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
OG Shark4692.50
      12-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #64
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Awesome!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-26-2019, 10:57 PM   #65
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

inb4 "its just a time attack build, gonna keep it really simple"
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
OG Shark4692.50
      12-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #66
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Congrats on the new car! I recently purchased my 3rd e9x m3 so definitely understand.(granted I've owned mine one at a time so far)

And yes, welcome to group therapy haha