BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #1475
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Are you going to try this with the CarPlay box still installed to see if it'll work? Or disconnect it code and then reconnect?
I may as well try it with it connected as is at first. Should be able to try Monday or Tuesday, if not I'll pull the unit out again but that'll take a bit longer I think, need to find the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #1476
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

So you do not need to rewire anything to het the HU AUX working? Just coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #1477
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

It think it doesn't disables Bluetooth audio, but I didn't checked, since im using CarPlay I've never used Bluetooth audio again. Most of harness came prepared with the AUX for the HU, so you only have code.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #1478
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
It think it doesn't disables Bluetooth audio, but I didn't checked, since im using CarPlay I've never used Bluetooth audio again. Most of harness came prepared with the AUX for the HU, so you only have code.
Did you code with the app before or after you installed the box?

Assume you have a Combox since you said you don't use BT audio.
      11-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #1479
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Looking through the manual the seller just sent me, I see that when using the center console aux in, the wires are *still connected to the back of the head unit*.

That in itself will negatively affect the audio signal because the aux input circuit on the HU, even if it isn't being used, will still pull down the signal a bit. This might explain the poor bass response you're hearing. I'm hoping that's the case, anyways. Will see when my box arrives.
      11-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #1480
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

update on my kremersino v2 and carsara

update on my kremersino v2: long story short, the v2 box I got had some kind of defect that prevented it from working when I plugged in the ac panel. So, I just ended up returning the unit. I can't comment too much on the sound quality since I didn't have enough time with it due to the defect. My car's interior was left in pieces for over a month while I went back and forth with Michael to troubleshoot the issue. They wouldn't just send out a replacement unit until I uninstalled the defective unit, sent it back on my own dime and they physically had it back in their hands. Rather than go through all that and no confidence whether the replacement unit would work, I just ordered the carsara unit and couldn't be happier. The v2 is on its way back to Kremersino and fingers crossed ill get a full refund.

impressions on Carsara: since my interior was already apart and I had experience with the v2 install, the install was a lot smoother. Thanks to cyberdemon for the help with the wiring. I have now had a week of seat time with this unit and here's what I've noticed:

I have a 2013 model with the latest combox/6FL hardware and software for this generation. I ran the aux cable to the armrest console but have it unplugged to test out whats possible. I can get sound over Bluetooth with my phone set to output over the Bluetooth source instead of Carplay and it stays on this source unlike others have reported switching to carplay (with a caveat). Turn by turn navigation sound and siri works over Bluetooth until you also start listening to music. If I only have the navigation app running I get the sound for turn by turn but as soon as I start Spotify or any other music app, the turn by turn sound stops working because the phone output source switches over to carplay.. If I switch over to aux source and plug in the aux cable, then I get the navigation sound and music but with diminished sound quality (the sound quality is really not that bad over aux in my opinion and I believe it can be improved with Eq tweaking). So, it seems that the Bluetooth output source can't support simultaneous streaming from more than one app, which is why I suspect the switch to carplay source occurs.

overall, I am extremely happy with this carsara unit. I'll post back with any new updates after I've had more seat time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #1481
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Great to hear. It would be cool if there was a way to assign bluetooth sources. That way you could assign CarPlay to nav and Bluetooth to music.

Either way, as long as the aux sounds as good as my tune2air ill be content with that. I can always retrofit combox if its just not cutting it too.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #1482
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Was going to try to see if my cable would work for coding so I was downloading all the files but then my laptop ran out of HDD space 4 gigs into the 4.5gb download saving and I gave up.
      11-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #1483
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
If I switch over to aux source and plug in the aux cable, then I get the navigation sound and music but with diminished sound quality (the sound quality is really not that bad over aux in my opinion and I believe it can be improved with Eq tweaking). So, it seems that the Bluetooth output source can't support simultaneous streaming from more than one app, which is why I suspect the switch to carplay source occurs.

overall, I am extremely happy with this carsara unit. I'll post back with any new updates after I've had more seat time.
How is the bass response for the Carsara unit? The sound quality of the Kremersino v1 is not that bad IMHO, but the bass is incredibly weak.
      11-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #1484
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Quote:
If I switch over to aux source and plug in the aux cable, then I get the navigation sound and music but with diminished sound quality (the sound quality is really not that bad over aux in my opinion and I believe it can be improved with Eq tweaking). So, it seems that the Bluetooth output source can't support simultaneous streaming from more than one app, which is why I suspect the switch to carplay source occurs.

How is the bass response for the Carsara unit? The sound quality of the Kremersino v1 is not that bad IMHO, but the bass is incredibly weak.
I think the bass sounds pretty good and this is without having made any tweaks to the eq. I only noticed a slight drop in sound quality when switching from Bluetooth to AUX but overall very happy with it.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy671.50
      11-15-2020, 11:12 PM   #1485
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Seems to be many different variations of the same device on this thread. Is there any summary as to what device works?

1) I have a ccc head unit
2) needs to have CarPlay
3) properly integrates with the oem speakers (In other cars every time I swapped the head unit out it never worked well with the oem speakers as good as the factory head unit and was only fixed by going aftermarket speakers and amp)
4) back up camera
5) any shops in SoCal that have installed this properly?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #1486
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Success! I've managed to code the headunit to use the aux input from the harness using Bimmercode. This is using the Carsara box. The values I changed were:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

@Cyberdemon I tried to code it with the can cable as it is - this didn't work, the app couldn't connect to the headunit module. I then wired in the iDrive harness, connecting it to the can high cable (not sure if this really matters) and I could then code it.

It was a little tricky to route the cable from under the front of the gearstick, down to the drivers footwell and back up into the headunit area but it worked - the Bimmertech video helped again.

The sound seems better than via the aux cable, with bass in particular better defined. I need to spend more time playing with the EQ and try some direct comparisons but so far so good.

I still have Bluetooth streaming via the Combox working which was one concern raised earlier.

The only (very minor) negative is that when the system starts up there doesn't seem to be any sound, until I switch to aux again - however this is very easy as I have a shortcut button set up for it (the row of numbered buttons on the CIC headunit) and just press this then it's OK. It seems that the aux in volume stays as 0 unless I do this. Doesn't really bother me.

BTW - never coded the BMW before, Bimmercode (£30) and a cheap (£20) vGate adapter was very easy to use. Only issue I had was that it wouldn't seem to connect to the car, then I tried starting the engine and it worked OK then. Seems easier than using a laptop with cable, and gives some easy shortcut options in addition to 'expert' coding.
Appreciate 4
PACarGuy671.50
6ixSpd6011.50
GTiceman137.00
      11-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #1487
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
Success! I've managed to code the headunit to use the aux input from the harness using Bimmercode. This is using the Carsara box. The values I changed were:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv

@Cyberdemon I tried to code it with the can cable as it is - this didn't work, the app couldn't connect to the headunit module. I then wired in the iDrive harness, connecting it to the can high cable (not sure if this really matters) and I could then code it.

It was a little tricky to route the cable from under the front of the gearstick, down to the drivers footwell and back up into the headunit area but it worked - the Bimmertech video helped again.

The sound seems better than via the aux cable, with bass in particular better defined. I need to spend more time playing with the EQ and try some direct comparisons but so far so good.

I still have Bluetooth streaming via the Combox working which was one concern raised earlier.

The only (very minor) negative is that when the system starts up there doesn't seem to be any sound, until I switch to aux again - however this is very easy as I have a shortcut button set up for it (the row of numbered buttons on the CIC headunit) and just press this then it's OK. It seems that the aux in volume stays as 0 unless I do this. Doesn't really bother me.

BTW - never coded the BMW before, Bimmercode (£30) and a cheap (£20) vGate adapter was very easy to use. Only issue I had was that it wouldn't seem to connect to the car, then I tried starting the engine and it worked OK then. Seems easier than using a laptop with cable, and gives some easy shortcut options in addition to 'expert' coding.
Thanks for the update. I am downloading the daten files again to see if I can connect with the laptop for my tune. Although if I have to rip the car apart again I probably won't attempt to do anything until this weekend.

Question - when I tried connecting the iDrive cable, it didn't let the iDrive controller work at all. Does connecting the high can cable actually let the iDrive controller work? Or did you do this just to code it, then return the original configuration? I read some people just had problems with loose pins on the harness, not sure if that was related to why it wasn't working.

Would be interested to hear your comparisons once you've had time to live with it for a bit more.
      11-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #1488
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I am downloading the daten files again to see if I can connect with the laptop for my tune. Although if I have to rip the car apart again I probably won't attempt to do anything until this weekend.

Question - when I tried connecting the iDrive cable, it didn't let the iDrive controller work at all. Does connecting the high can cable actually let the iDrive controller work? Or did you do this just to code it, then return the original configuration? I read some people just had problems with loose pins on the harness, not sure if that was related to why it wasn't working.

Would be interested to hear your comparisons once you've had time to live with it for a bit more.
I've left the extra harness in and it works OK. So either it's the high can connection, or you have a faulty harness. Make sure the connector directly under the controller is pushed all the way in, I didn't do this initially so it didn't work. Someone else in the UK has also had problems with the harness not working, I'll see if we can find out why.

As you say you could probably code it then switch it back if the extra harness doesn't work.

I'll post more sound quality feedback when I have it.
Appreciate 1
Cyberdemon1537.50
      11-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #1489
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've left the extra harness in and it works OK. So either it's the high can connection, or you have a faulty harness. Make sure the connector directly under the controller is pushed all the way in, I didn't do this initially so it didn't work. Someone else in the UK has also had problems with the harness not working, I'll see if we can find out why.

As you say you could probably code it then switch it back if the extra harness doesn't work.

I'll post more sound quality feedback when I have it.
Did you have to add the white loop cable back in? I'm not sure if I tested the Hi-Can with the loop off.
      11-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #1490
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did you have to add the white loop cable back in? I'm not sure if I tested the Hi-Can with the loop off.
I have put it back in and left it there. I assume you need this or you'll get can errors and won't be able to code, it may not even work without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #1491
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have put it back in and left it there. I assume you need this or you'll get can errors and won't be able to code, it may not even work without it.
Hmm OK, yeah worried I might have a faulty harness then but can probably try checking the pins more closely. Do you recall which connector you had the loop in?
      11-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #1492
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm OK, yeah worried I might have a faulty harness then but can probably try checking the pins more closely. Do you recall which connector you had the loop in?
The loop (labelled D#) goes into the head unit can cable (B#) from memory.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #1493
cannyjock
Private
Rep

One handy thing I've found - pressing the voice control button also causes the (terrible) BMW voice control to respond as well as Google. Holding down the iDrive controller seems to just bring up the Google assistant alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #1494
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
One handy thing I've found - pressing the voice control button also causes the (terrible) BMW voice control to respond as well as Google. Holding down the iDrive controller seems to just bring up the Google assistant alone.
Interesting, is that since the coding/cable change? I haven't had any issue with that happening right now.
      11-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #1495
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, is that since the coding/cable change? I haven't had any issue with that happening right now.
I think it was happening before, not as intrusive though. Not really sure to be honest but I'll see what I can find out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #1496
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
update on my kremersino v2: long story short, the v2 box I got had some kind of defect that prevented it from working when I plugged in the ac panel. So, I just ended up returning the unit. I can't comment too much on the sound quality since I didn't have enough time with it due to the defect. My car's interior was left in pieces for over a month while I went back and forth with Michael to troubleshoot the issue. They wouldn't just send out a replacement unit until I uninstalled the defective unit, sent it back on my own dime and they physically had it back in their hands. Rather than go through all that and no confidence whether the replacement unit would work, I just ordered the carsara unit and couldn't be happier. The v2 is on its way back to Kremersino and fingers crossed ill get a full refund.

impressions on Carsara: since my interior was already apart and I had experience with the v2 install, the install was a lot smoother. Thanks to cyberdemon for the help with the wiring. I have now had a week of seat time with this unit and here's what I've noticed:

I have a 2013 model with the latest combox/6FL hardware and software for this generation. I ran the aux cable to the armrest console but have it unplugged to test out whats possible. I can get sound over Bluetooth with my phone set to output over the Bluetooth source instead of Carplay and it stays on this source unlike others have reported switching to carplay (with a caveat). Turn by turn navigation sound and siri works over Bluetooth until you also start listening to music. If I only have the navigation app running I get the sound for turn by turn but as soon as I start Spotify or any other music app, the turn by turn sound stops working because the phone output source switches over to carplay.. If I switch over to aux source and plug in the aux cable, then I get the navigation sound and music but with diminished sound quality (the sound quality is really not that bad over aux in my opinion and I believe it can be improved with Eq tweaking). So, it seems that the Bluetooth output source can't support simultaneous streaming from more than one app, which is why I suspect the switch to carplay source occurs.

Funny, I never tried to use ACP without playing music so your caveat issue is exactly the issue I am experiencing with Kremersino too. If I have ACP on, I usually have music playing so I guess I never noticed it working prior to music. Having it on AUX connection fixes this issue and I'll take the hit on audio quality for a much more usable experience.

FWIW, my audio is so low majority of the time, it doesn't even matter how great the quality is.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0