BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

11-12-2020, 05:02 AM   #1453
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

According to this video, unless you use the full iDrive harness on the Carsara box, plugged directly to the iDrive controller, you lose the ability to code the CIC. I (and I assume most others with this) have just plugged the 2 can cables in the main harness together, which works but gets the iDrive controls from the canbus.

Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #1454
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
According to this video, unless you use the full iDrive harness on the Carsara box, plugged directly to the iDrive controller, you lose the ability to code the CIC. I (and I assume most others with this) have just plugged the 2 can cables in the main harness together, which works but gets the iDrive controls from the canbus.

Interesting, I couldn't get the iDrive harness working in any permutation I tried, so wondering why that end of the cable causes a problem. But good to know, wouldn't want to spend the time trying to figure out how to code the thing just to realize it no longer worked because of the new hardware pinouts.

Now that so many others bought the box I'm interested to hear the consensus on audio compared to other methods.
      11-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #1455
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:

{Video removed}
Is this for sure the same box as the Carsara box?
      11-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #1456
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Is this for sure the same box as the Carsara box?
Yes it looks like it. My box (CIC not NBT) did not have that 360 Camera input that he shows, but Carsara shows it in their latest description though, but I suspect this might be something only used if you order the NBT 2012+ config?

I didn't watch that video enough to see what year he was setting up the device for if it was 2012+ that'd make sense.
      11-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #1457
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Yes it looks like it. My box (CIC not NBT) did not have that 360 Camera input that he shows, but Carsara shows it in their latest description though, but I suspect this might be something only used if you order the NBT 2012+ config?

I didn't watch that video enough to see what year he was setting up the device for if it was 2012+ that'd make sense.
Yes, the box definitely does look like it, but the eBay description/pics differs a bit from the description/pics on Alibaba as there seem to be many makers of these boxes now. Just hard to tell if they're both the same manufacturer.
      11-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #1458
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the box definitely does look like it, but the eBay description/pics differs a bit from the description/pics on Alibaba as there seem to be many makers of these boxes now. Just hard to tell if they're both the same manufacturer.
Not sure which unit they have on Ebay. The one from Aliexpress got to me in just about 2 weeks, so shipping wasn't bad. The camera I ordered on the other hand still seems to be stuck in US customs so that was a waste of money.
      11-13-2020, 04:53 AM   #1459
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I couldn't get the iDrive harness working in any permutation I tried, so wondering why that end of the cable causes a problem. But good to know, wouldn't want to spend the time trying to figure out how to code the thing just to realize it no longer worked because of the new hardware pinouts.

Now that so many others bought the box I'm interested to hear the consensus on audio compared to other methods.
Been playing round with the audio more, I don't think it's great but it's not terrible either. I've got Individual Audio (might be called something else in the US but it's the top version) and the bass sounds fantastic with other sources - not mega sub-bass like an aftermarket amp and sub, but really tight, hard hitting and tuneful. Switching over the to Carsara box sounds ok, but as I turn it up the bass doesn't sound as well defined, and overall tunes just sound a bit messier. I would give it 6 or 7 out of 10 compared to other sources. Again, one of the guys on the UK forum is able to use aux via the harness and reckons it sounds ok, but as we know it looks like a pain to convert ours to use this.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #1460
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure which unit they have on Ebay. The one from Aliexpress got to me in just about 2 weeks, so shipping wasn't bad. The camera I ordered on the other hand still seems to be stuck in US customs so that was a waste of money.
This seems to be the eBay unit that the video references: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IO...MAAOSwJ9Rfm3Eu
      11-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #1461
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
This seems to be the eBay unit that the video references: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IO...MAAOSwJ9Rfm3Eu
That looks identical to the Carsara unit I bought on AliExpress.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #1462
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, looks visually the same although the link shows it for the F30 in the description?

Higher price than Aliexpress either way.
      11-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #1463
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, looks visually the same although the link shows it for the F30 in the description?

Yeah, that was my question. Looks the same, but description is different so wasn't sure. The review says the audio quality seems good, but not sure if he really tested the bass response, etc.

BTW, in one of the comments in the video, the reviewer mentions that there is an AUX input in the back of the CIC headunit:

"This one is mint. Sound is spot on. But it's one of the newer more expensive units. That said, one thing we did do, it is connected to the aux in the back of the CIC unit. This reduces the length of that audio cable which in turn reduces the chance of interference. Were you connecting to the aux in in the centre console by any chance?"

I don't recall seeing an AUX input in the back of my head unit when I did the Kremersino v1 install, but it's been over a year so I don't recall exactly. Did anyone notice one who did a recent install?
      11-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #1464
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, that was my question. Looks the same, but description is different so wasn't sure. The review says the audio quality seems good, but not sure if he really tested the bass response, etc.

BTW, in one of the comments in the video, the reviewer mentions that there is an AUX input in the back of the CIC headunit:

"This one is mint. Sound is spot on. But it's one of the newer more expensive units. That said, one thing we did do, it is connected to the aux in the back of the CIC unit. This reduces the length of that audio cable which in turn reduces the chance of interference. Were you connecting to the aux in in the centre console by any chance?"

I don't recall seeing an AUX input in the back of my head unit when I did the Kremersino v1 install, but it's been over a year so I don't recall exactly. Did anyone notice one who did a recent install?
My understanding is the aux is routed from the center console, to the MULF/Combox, then back up through the Most Loop via the two optical pins that are swapped on the quad lock connector. If audio is coming through this loop the only way I could see changing this goes to what Cannyjock was saying earlier, coding the CIC to believing that audio is coming in from some other pins on the quad lock.

There's no extra connector, these pins seem to run through the quad lock but are disabled when you have a car with the MULF or Combox.

This is the pin out I posted a few pages back.
https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-A...n_pinout.shtml

If someone manages to sort it out and it doesn't require tearing the entire system back apart to code the CIC maybe I'd try it.
      11-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #1465
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My understanding is the aux is routed from the center console, to the MULF/Combox, then back up through the Most Loop via the two optical pins that are swapped on the quad lock connector. If audio is coming through this loop the only way I could see changing this goes to what Cannyjock was saying earlier, coding the CIC to believing that audio is coming in from some other pins on the quad lock.

There's no extra connector, these pins seem to run through the quad lock but are disabled when you have a car with the MULF or Combox.

This is the pin out I posted a few pages back.
https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-A...n_pinout.shtml

If someone manages to sort it out and it doesn't require tearing the entire system back apart to code the CIC maybe I'd try it.
OK, thanks for that. So sounds like it's only AUX via center console again if I have Combox and also Individual Audio.
      11-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #1466
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
OK, thanks for that. So sounds like it's only AUX via center console again if I have Combox and also Individual Audio.
I believe so, although I don't think it's individual audio that makes the difference. The headunit can accept aux via the harness, but if you have 6FL aux/usb via the combox the sound will only come via the armrest (crappy) aux input.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #1467
coniman
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 '12

You can enable HU AUX via coding but you’ll loose AUX and USB on the armrest. I’ve done it today on my 13’ F30 with COMBOX using BimmerCode app.
You have to set this codes:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      11-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #1468
Gto3
Paper Stacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
What camera?
2013 E93 M3 | 6MT | Alpine White | Fox Red Novillo Leather | Navigation System | Tints | Matte Black Kidney Grills | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Active Autowerke Performance Air Filter | E93 Trunk Boot Spoiler | Painted Bumper Reflectors | BMW Performance Shift Knob | BMW Performance Handbrake | RPI Red Ram Air Scoops | Matte Black M3 Emblem | BMW M// Power MT Pedals | Matte Black Side Markers | Tinted Side Marker LED's | LUX H8 160 Angel Eyes |
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #1469
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
You can enable HU AUX via coding but you’ll loose AUX and USB on the armrest. I’ve done it today on my 13’ F30 with COMBOX using BimmerCode app.

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Where does the hu aux plug in? Do you need to wire a headphone jack to certain pins in the quad lock?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #1470
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Audio Quality:
They have improved the AUX audio quality issue with this box. No significant difference between BT combox audio quality and the V3 AUX audio quality. With my V2 unit (and my E93 EPS factory sound), carplay AUX audio quality was nearly identical to combox BT quality after adjusting the V2 carplay’s built in EQ settings. The V3 audio quality is what you’d expect, and it’s good that they’ve addressed this because the V3 does NOT have an EQ (at least not that I can find). So if you wanted to make any adjustments to the V3 sound settings, you’re limited to the BMW factory EQ settings. I do get an occasional momentary cut-out or hiccup in the audio, will have to troubleshoot this further, could just be a poor wireless connection between my phone and the carplay box.
Quick update regarding the "occasional momentary cut-out or hiccup".. Got an iPhone 12 Pro Max today and this issue no longer occurs. I suspect it was something to do with a bad installation or settings in Waze on my last iPhone (11 pro max), as the volume on Waze would jump up and down seemingly at random. I think this was responsible for the cut-outs in the carplay audio, as it no longer occurs now that I did a fresh install on a new phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #1471
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Where does the hu aux plug in? Do you need to wire a headphone jack to certain pins in the quad lock?
As far as I understand, the Carsara box already has wires that go direct to the headunit via the quad lock.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:35 AM   #1472
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Very interesting - does Bluetooth audio still work via Combox? I'll check it Bimmercode, it looks easier than NCS Expert etc
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #1473
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gto3 View Post
Quote:
What camera?
I got one of the ones Sangria recommended with the Sony 720p chip. It actually just showed up yesterday and has the same connector as my current camera so I may plug it in and see if there's a obvious difference. My current camera looks 720p but not fisheye.

If anyone wants a camera I'll sell whichever one I don't use.
      11-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #1474
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

CDMM_AUX_HU
aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE
nicht_aktiv

CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
nicht_aktiv
Very interesting - does Bluetooth audio still work via Combox? I'll check it Bimmercode, it looks easier than NCS Expert etc
Are you going to try this with the CarPlay box still installed to see if it'll work? Or disconnect it code and then reconnect?