BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

11-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Alpine White Paint Correct/Ceramic Coating

Being that AW is the most common paint on the E9X I thought there would be some good suggestions/advice here.

I am at the point where I really want to take my paint to the next level and have it paint corrected and ceramic coated for the first time in 70k miles.

For those that have done a PC on their AW M3, should a 2-step take care of it? The paint gets plenty of compliments as it's in really good shape, but I thought why not do a 2-step rather than single step if I'm going to do the extra step of ceramic coating as well. Somewhat of a "clean slate".

Lastly, I have the supplies to do it myself, but wouldn't mind paying someone to do it "professionally". I have a quote for $500 for 2-step and ceramic, another one for $800, etc. I know there will be differing opinions on the BEST way to do this, but are there are compounds and coatings that have proven best results for AW?
      11-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

You looking to DIY? I just DIY'd my AW this summer. Paint Correction + Ceramic Coating.

Paint Correction: I did a 1-step on 99% of the car but was not enough to get the deeper scratches out. I would think @ 70k miles, you would want a 2-step. I wish I would have spent the extra time for a cutting step.

Ceramic Coat: I used GTechniq Crystal Serum Light (CSL) + 2 Coats of EXOV4. Was easy to apply. Just stay organized and make sure you use a 3 towel system to wipe off the excess. Once CSL is applied and put your first coat of EXOV4 on, it's an amazing feeling because it's SO slick and easy to apply.