BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #265
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Interesting, I didn't think to test the mic splitter in any other environment other than wireless CarPlay mode. That's how I'll be using the box 99% of the time.

Is anyone able to confirm the splitter works clearly for them in wireless CarPlay mode?

Also an image of the splitter supplied would be really helpful.

I'm currently using the splitter that came with my Andream but I suspect the one you guys got is the same. Anyone able to confirm that.

Thanks again!
It is not the same splitter, because it doesn't have an input for an aftermarket mic. So 3 plugs, one from car mic wiring, one to factory mic, and the 3.5mm connection. Call/assistant quality through the mr12v is bad and I've yet to to figure out exactly how to reliably kick to the factory Bluetooth (seems random when it doesn't hand off).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #266
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Quote:
Interesting, I didn't think to test the mic splitter in any other environment other than wireless CarPlay mode. That's how I'll be using the box 99% of the time.

Is anyone able to confirm the splitter works clearly for them in wireless CarPlay mode?

Also an image of the splitter supplied would be really helpful.

I'm currently using the splitter that came with my Andream but I suspect the one you guys got is the same. Anyone able to confirm that.

Thanks again!
It is not the same splitter, because it doesn't have an input for an aftermarket mic. So 3 plugs, one from car mic wiring, one to factory mic, and the 3.5mm connection. Call/assistant quality through the mr12v is bad and I've yet to to figure out exactly how to reliably kick to the factory Bluetooth (seems random when it doesn't hand off).
I know it's hard to see in the image but my splitter has 4 connections:

1. Female input mic slot from factory wiring harness in the roof area.

2. Male end clip to connect the mic harness back in to the roof module OEM mic.

3. Additional female end clip pictured with a VW mic attached (same style bmw uses). That is currently not in use and left open without the VW mic attached.

4. Split male 3.5" TS mono plug from the harness back to the Mr12volt input. Ignore the external female 3.5" jack part as that is from the Andream harness and is built into the box itself on Mr12volt.

Can you explain how it's different, I'm lost lol

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #267
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:

3. Additional female end clip pictured with a VW mic attached (same style bmw uses). That is currently not in use and left open without the VW mic attached.

4. Split male 3.5" TS mono plug from the harness back to the Mr12volt input. Ignore the external female 3.5" jack part as that is from the Andream harness and is built into the box itself on Mr12volt.

Thank you
No #3 on the one through this thread.
Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      10-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #268
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Turning up the Mr12Volt volume in settings helps with Bass a touch. Also HK equalizer settings and bass up helps a lot.

I tested this with Bluetooth mode and wireless CarPlay. Spotify on max quality (lossless coming soon hopefully).

That being said, there is a very very slight richness of bass that is missing but really splitting hairs. The bass sounds excellent when you tweak it a bit.

The sound quality is bananas when compared with the AUX from competitors. I know because I have used both. AUX lost so much more in the middle and no matter what you do in settings, it will sound too high and low and unbalanced.

This box is phenomenal, and the best option at the moment for folks with Harmon Kardon sound or better systems.

All those scary details you hear in songs are all back and it makes me so happy lol!

Just need to work out the box placement for 135i guys, and the mic situation. Also wait for apple/waze to fix all the iOS 15.0.2 CarPlay bugs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bass issue is also related to iOS15 but we shall see. Also Spotify is unclear what you are getting depending on the song played. I'll try Apple Music and report back.

Customer service from Mr12Volt has also been stellar 10/10 for me!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #269
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Quote:

Thank you
No #3 on the one through this thread.
I see, yah that really shouldn't matter as it's not in use. Sound quality was fine with that configuration and the Andream unit although that was tapping into the quad-lock, not idrive knob/most.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #270
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Got a reply from Mr12Volt, and they confirmed the loss of bass issue:

"Indeed it is not a problem, it is just a different "sound presets" processor. The built in audio processor was preset at a certain sound output level and it would sound differently for different car setup.I also noticed someone said there's no difference when songs are played with Android Auto. We are looking into the possibility of adjusting the sound output db to cover some bass loss but then it might make the bass overload on another brand car if you know what I mean. So this is a tough one."

Hopefully we'll have a fix soon. Based on what their concerns are- this situation sounds fixable.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #271
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Hi everyone,

I finally got my unit installed last week. Oh boy, this is the real deal! Both, my Samsung S20 and my wife's iPhone (whatever version she has, I'm not an Apple guy, so, no clue) wirelessly connected to Android Auto / CarPlay right away. No issues at all.

As many others pointed out, my car didn't have a CD charger so I had to code it for the box to work. It took only a couple of mins using bimmercode though.

I also found a very good spot for the USB outlet (in the unlikely case that I ever need to use it) inside the glovebox. Opening the compartment, on the top left corner, there is a cap that can be removed from the inside and it offers the perfect gap for the USB outlet to fit. It doesn't require removing any additional panels, nor taking apart the glovebox. Sharing here in case it helps somebody else.

I also bought the mic splitter from Rob but I never received mine nor haven't heard back from him either in over a month. Not sure what's going on... I didn't feel like waiting any longer, so I installed my unit with the mic provided. Managed to hide it behind the steering wheel, so I don't even see it.

Nice weekend everyone.

Daro.
Appreciate 2
UnicornM382.50
happydude135.00
      10-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #272
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post

I also bought the mic splitter from Rob but I never received mine nor haven't heard back from him either in over a month. Not sure what's going on... I didn't feel like waiting any longer……..
Same here - paid for this at the end of August, but no response back via email.

I do wonder what has happened.
      10-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #273
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For those with CIC Harmon Kardon Sound here are my Spotify iDrive settings so far…

This is a bit of a work in progress and may be a bit nuts for some lol…

Mr12Volt music volume at max
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #274
drwankel
Major
Rep

Well considering the M3 wasn't offered with Harmon Kardon sound, this wont be of much use to anybody here. The M3 in the US at least was offered with HIFI or Individual Sound only. I think other markets had logic 7 and base audio, but no HK as far as I am aware.

The other issue I have with this approach, is that the CIC system doesn't have unique volume/equalizer settings on a per input basis, meaning the changes are system wide. Lastly there's the obvious problem as this wont produce as clean of a sound vs getting the audio just flat out corrected at the mr12volt level.

In any case, its an interesting mitigation, better than nothing, but not an option for me personally, as I have the hifi system (fully upgraded with bavsound speakers, subs and amp), which means my system doesn't have an equalizer, just bass and treble adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #275
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Well considering the M3 wasn't offered with Harmon Kardon sound, this wont be of much use to anybody here. The M3 in the US at least was offered with HIFI or Individual Sound only. I think other markets had logic 7 and base audio, but no HK as far as I am aware.

The other issue I have with this approach, is that the CIC system doesn't have unique volume/equalizer settings on a per input basis, meaning the changes are system wide. Lastly there's the obvious problem as this wont produce as clean of a sound vs getting the audio just flat out corrected at the mr12volt level.

In any case, its an interesting mitigation, better than nothing, but not an option for me personally, as I have the hifi system (fully upgraded with bavsound speakers, subs and amp), which means my system doesn't have an equalizer, just bass and treble adjustments.
I thought Logic 7 = Harmon Kardon, merely different names for the same system.

My tweeters by the door mirrors carry the Harmon Kardon logo, but the i-Drive shows it as Logic 7.
      10-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #276
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post
Hi everyone,

I finally got my unit installed last week. Oh boy, this is the real deal! Both, my Samsung S20 and my wife's iPhone (whatever version she has, I'm not an Apple guy, so, no clue) wirelessly connected to Android Auto / CarPlay right away. No issues at all.

As many others pointed out, my car didn't have a CD charger so I had to code it for the box to work. It took only a couple of mins using bimmercode though.

I also found a very good spot for the USB outlet (in the unlikely case that I ever need to use it) inside the glovebox. Opening the compartment, on the top left corner, there is a cap that can be removed from the inside and it offers the perfect gap for the USB outlet to fit. It doesn't require removing any additional panels, nor taking apart the glovebox. Sharing here in case it helps somebody else.

I also bought the mic splitter from Rob but I never received mine nor haven't heard back from him either in over a month. Not sure what's going on... I didn't feel like waiting any longer, so I installed my unit with the mic provided. Managed to hide it behind the steering wheel, so I don't even see it.

Nice weekend everyone.

Daro.
Sound good, received my unit this morning too. Thanks for the tip on the USB too

How are you finding the performance with the provided mic?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #277
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I thought Logic 7 = Harmon Kardon, merely different names for the same system.

My tweeters by the door mirrors carry the Harmon Kardon logo, but the i-Drive shows it as Logic 7.
This is squarely into the territory of the non US market m3 options, to which I'm not well versed. All I know, is there wasnt a HK option for the e9x m3 anywhere, and as such, I would expect the EQ settings to end up different for our cars for someone with logic 7 or individual audio. I would suspect that logic 7 and the HK system from another model use different speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #278
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

New Mr12Volt P2000 hardware version available.

https://www.mr12volt.com/products/ca...2-x5-x6-z4-f01

The brand new Mr12Volt P2000 LIGHT series
Are now with built-in BT / WIFI antenna and all connectors are relocated on the same side.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #279
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post

Are now with built-in BT / WIFI antenna and all connectors are relocated on the same side.
Thanks. Just placed my “pre order” hopefully it’s not light on other features too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #280
drwankel
Major
Rep

Oh interesting- and the older box is apparently discontinued as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #281
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have an older carsara box for sale, the one with the quadlock connector.
Brand new in box, didn't install it.

I went with the Mr12Volt instead.

PM if interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #282
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Well ain't that a bi*ch! lol

Perhaps this is a reduced spec or feature version?

Last edited by UnicornM; 10-25-2021 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #283
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Oh berger.

My "old" version arrived - today....
      10-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #284
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
This is squarely into the territory of the non US market m3 options, to which I'm not well versed. All I know, is there wasnt a HK option for the e9x m3 anywhere, and as such, I would expect the EQ settings to end up different for our cars for someone with logic 7 or individual audio. I would suspect that logic 7 and the HK system from another model use different speakers.
Agreed that the L7 EQ settings will be different from those for Individual Audio.

My point is L7 and HK are the same thing.
      10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #285
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I spoke with the guys at Mr12Volt. Aside from the relocating of inputs and internal antennas, this should be the same as P2000. Would have been good to know as my car has little to no real estate to place these boxes and the lite version is more of a clean instal for 135i.
Appreciate 3
happydude135.00
UnicornM382.50
      10-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #286
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with the guys at Mr12Volt. Aside from the relocating of inputs and internal antennas, this should be the same as P2000. Would have been good to know as my car has little to no real estate to place these boxes and the lite version is more of a clean instal for 135i.
We are always victims of rapid product development/obsolescence!

Sometimes beneficiaries, too...;-)