BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #45
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Really curious to see how this x-pipe sounds with a Corsa. Would add some GESi or HJS cats in the secondary position. I wonder if that combined with the resonators would minimize the rasp the forward X is known for.

Was thinking about headers, but I think the ability to swap on the stock x-pipe at will is worth the 5-10 whp loss.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #46
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I think the key message is you shouldn't be running primary cats if you are tracking the car hard.

Most people now are getting the cats welded in after the X, so they're further downstream and shouldn't be a problem.
So even if I have just an aftermarket exhaust with stock x-pipe and cats. I should still delete the primary cats to avoid issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #47
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
So even if I have just an aftermarket exhaust with stock x-pipe and cats. I should still delete the primary cats to avoid issues?
If you aren't tracking no. But if you are, I don't know if you'd run into issues with stock cats.
I have heard of tuned F80s melting their oem cats at the track, but not E9Xs

After losing an engine, I would not run primary cats if they can be avoided for track use
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #48
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you aren't tracking no. But if you are, I don't know if you'd run into issues with stock cats.
I have heard of tuned F80s melting their oem cats at the track, but not E9Xs

After losing an engine, I would not run primary cats if they can be avoided for track use
Oops that's what I meant, track use.

I track my car 5 to 6 times a year. Although I am not very fast, so I may not be pushing the car as hard as others. But after reading what happened to your other engine, I am a little nervous about the primary cats causing issue. This is because my car has developed an odd noise during cold start cycle that I mentioned here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852590

I do want to get a x-pipe, but only thing that is holding me back is the noise limit at one of the track I go to. They are strict about the 93db limit. I currently have the meisterchaft GT and it is pretty loud already. I feel that I am near the 93db limit. Adding a x-pipe will likely put me over the noise limit. Unless there is a solution of adding x-pipe and not increase sound volume???
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #49
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Oops that's what I meant, track use.

I track my car 5 to 6 times a year. Although I am not very fast, so I may not be pushing the car as hard as others. But after reading what happened to your other engine, I am a little nervous about the primary cats causing issue. This is because my car has developed an odd noise during cold start cycle that I mentioned here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852590

I do want to get a x-pipe, but only thing that is holding me back is the noise limit at one of the track I go to. They are strict about the 93db limit. I currently have the meisterchaft GT and it is pretty loud already. I feel that I am near the 93db limit. Adding a x-pipe will likely put me over the noise limit. Unless there is a solution of adding x-pipe and not increase sound volume???
I would get the BW xpipe and run the oem muffler. I don't think that is so loud
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #50
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Can confirm, I ran the bw race pipe with oem muffler at a track day with no issues, 96db is the track limit. They did not tell me what I registered, only that I didn't blow the limit.

With race pipe and corsa rear, I registered 99db. OEM rear makes it much quieter.

Quote:
      08-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #51
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

I'm not a fan of swapping the rear to oem for track days. I'm gonna go to a shop to see if they can make me laguna pipes to point the sound away from the meter. So this may be an option if you aren't blowing sound by too much.

Quote:
      08-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #52
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Stupid me sold my oem exhaust lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
I'm not a fan of swapping the rear to oem for track days. I'm gonna go to a shop to see if they can make me laguna pipes to point the sound away from the meter. So this may be an option if you aren't blowing sound by too much.
Yeah, I don't like the idea of swapping stuff back and forth between track and street use. Swapping wheels and brake pads is already more than enough work for my liking lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #53
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Stupid me sold my oem exhaust lol.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of swapping stuff back and forth between track and street use. Swapping wheels and brake pads is already more than enough work for my liking lol.
I wouldn't be swapping, I'd just leave it on. With the xpipe the oem one will sound pretty good
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #54
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Are there REALLY no videos??

#Bruuuuuh
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #55
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
I'm going to throw my hat into the ring here. I finally got my setup finished and can relate to this thread lol.

I've had the axle-back for awhile. It's a GRWA valved exhaust, literally no different than Bomiz besides not having branding (so a plus).

The x-pipe is Bimmerworld with the stock Magnaflow resonators, and GESi 10025 in the secondary slot.

I've driven about 200 miles on this setup and wanted to provide my thoughts to help anyone thinking about it. I keep valves open since it honestly sounds weird with them closed, but it's good for being lowkey.

When the car is cold, it sounds more raspy. I don't know if I can really prove this, but the "rasp" seems to go away when it warms up. Now I have to say that this was my impression being inside the car. I never thought it was TOO raspy, but there was some rasp giving it gas at particular RPM's. Also, it doesn't really drone. Windows up cruising on the freeway, it's very manageable. Windows down you can sometimes catch some drone around 3k, but it's something I wasn't even going to mention because I forgot about it.

Now once I heard the car from the OUTSIDE, I think it sounds freakin' incredible. It doesn't sound raspy, it sounds throaty and exotic.

I'm going to have an active Youtube channel coming up here soon (New Years resolution), but wanted to get a quick video linked here for you guys that want to hear it.

One question I do have for those in the know, if I ever did want to swap over to those Vibrant 12" resonators, is there enough space for them after cutting the stock Magnaflow resonators out? Looks like a tight squeeze...

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!!

Attached Images

DrFerry6728.50
kyrix1st2360.00
a5m612.50
      02-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #56
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I have armytrix/bw x pipe which is basically the same thing and also added the 12" vibrants and can agree that it sounds incredible.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #57
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

^^^ That sounds amazing.

I also just bought the resonated BW Xpipe and GEsi (10025) cats which we'll weld in the secondary slot.

Also curious if there is room to swap out the Magnaflow resonators with 12" Vibrants if desired. It does look like a tight squeeze.

I guess the first question that needs to be answered is how long (inches) is the included Magnaflow resonators? Either way, I think that setup above sounds really really good and I don't anticipate too much rasp anyway.

The only difference with my setup is a Corsa rear but great info here!

I'm sold, this thread definitely help to guide my decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #58
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I have armytrix/bw x pipe which is basically the same thing and also added the 12" vibrants and can agree that it sounds incredible.
I bet it does! I'm planning on getting used to this current setup over the next few months and getting some more opinions to see if it's raspy enough to make me want to put the vibrants on. Like some have said, a little rasp does add some character so I might not have a reason to change it
      02-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #59
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
^^^ That sounds amazing.

I also just bought the resonated BW Xpipe and GEsi (10025) cats which we'll weld in the secondary slot.

Also curious if there is room to swap out the Magnaflow resonators with 12" Vibrants if desired. It does look like a tight squeeze.

I guess the first question that needs to be answered is how long (inches) is the included Magnaflow resonators? Either way, I think that setup above sounds really really good and I don't anticipate too much rasp anyway.

The only difference with my setup is a Corsa rear but great info here!

I'm sold, this thread definitely help to guide my decision.
Glad to help out! You'll really like it in person, and please come back here when it's installed and let me know your thoughts on the rasp. I believe the Corsa rear will be pretty similar to mine with valves open so you'll likely get a close sound to my video.

When you get your pipe can you measure the stock resonators before installing it and report back? Not planning on having my car lifted on anything anytime soon so that would be much appreciated! The non-resonated version looks like it has more room for the vibrants based on the diagram, but it could be an illusion...
      02-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #60
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
Glad to help out! You'll really like it in person, and please come back here when it's installed and let me know your thoughts on the rasp. I believe the Corsa rear will be pretty similar to mine with valves open so you'll likely get a close sound to my video.

When you get your pipe can you measure the stock resonators before installing it and report back? Not planning on having my car lifted on anything anytime soon so that would be much appreciated! The non-resonated version looks like it has more room for the vibrants based on the diagram, but it could be an illusion...
I just got a call from Bimmerworld that they can't sell the Xpipe to me for legal reasons being it isn't a dedicated track car. Yep, that just happened. The order is cancelled. It doesn't matter that I will weld cats in and it will never see the street without cats, but they won't take the chance.

EPA is cracking down even on these vendors, its a no-go.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #61
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
I just got a call from Bimmerworld that they can't sell the Xpipe to me for legal reasons being it isn't a dedicated track car. Yep, that just happened. The order is cancelled. It doesn't matter that I will weld cats in and it will never see the street without cats, but they won't take the chance.

That sucks. I was going to buy one soon, how do they confirm that it is a dedicated track car?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #62
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
That sucks. I was going to buy one soon, how do they confirm that it is a dedicated track car?
The whole process of how that will be determined seemed very fuzzy. It wasn't clear what proof they would need, but documentation or pictures were insinuated.

I argued for a good 10 minutes but it wasn't going to happen.

I don't see how this is anyone's business but such are the times we live in. Hell I can buy it if I want, and hang it on my freaking wall, what is it to them?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #63
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
The whole process of how that will be determined seemed very fuzzy. It wasn't clear what proof they would need, but documentation or pictures were insinuated.

I argued for a good 10 minutes but it wasn't going to happen.

I don't see how this is anyone's business but such are the times we live in. Hell I can buy it if I want, and hang it on my freaking wall, what is it to them?
I agree with you, it sounds dumb, I am sure they must be facing fines for selling them for "street use"

Hopefully they figure out a way to start selling them, like if you have to "sign a waiver" or something.

Also, I hate to suggest being deceitful, but are they just looking for a picture of an E92 on a track and you can be like "Yep, that is me, autocross star!"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #64
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I agree with you, it sounds dumb, I am sure they must be facing fines for selling them for "street use"

Hopefully they figure out a way to start selling them, like if you have to "sign a waiver" or something.

Also, I hate to suggest being deceitful, but are they just looking for a picture of an E92 on a track and you can be like "Yep, that is me, autocross star!"
EPA cracking down. Funny thing my daily is a Tesla so I am way ahead of the game in my carbon footprint anyway, does that count??

My plan b is an RKP Sport. At the end of the day I won't be able to tell the difference in power between the BW and RKP. I am sure it will sound amazing too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #65
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:

This is what happened to me as well. Order went through, got a call asking if my car was a dedicated track car and asked for "proof", but not specifics of what proof was required. I posted on the forums asking if anyone had one and I got lucky to find a slightly used one within a few days. Hope you can still find one!
      02-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #66
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

CravingBavaria the rasp from cold to warm is pretty substantial too. Once everything is properly warmed up it has a much better note.
Appreciate 0