BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #89
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPACT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Installed the racing plugs, fresh 300V oil, and a quick drive to the dyno for NASA. Car drives great! Honestly I don't notice any improvement / difference from the previous plugs. First dyno pull was very odd as it dipped high in the RPM band. The car figured itself out.

Consecutive pulls saw material increases ending at 539/420 before I called it as I don't need anything higher. Already in TT1 with those numbers…
Thanks for sharing! That is really strong for STG1, DRLane what are your mods? I just installed my Harrop and after having an ESS625 that put down, 533rwhp, I know my kit is quite a bit shy of that power level.
That is a good question, but whatever his mods are they seem to let the Harrop 'breathe". I hope DRLane will chime in with his mods list and let us know the secret sauce applied to get those numbers. I'm guessing catless (or very high flow cats), maybe new headers, high flow air filter, a dash of E85 or at least 93 E10, BPM ECU Stage 2 flash (for Harrop?), NGK Racing plugs (one step cooler), higher flow back box mufflers.. Am I close..?
No e85, or headers. Also straight pipe rear exhaust.

But yes running a slightly different crank pulley and tune to help with the altitude gap. I'm not quite stage 2 as I'm on original Harrop kit injectors. Run drives very well!!!
      10-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #90
MPACT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90M3/E46M3/E36M3/MYP

Gotcha, looks great. What does it put down without altitude correction?
'21 Ford Expedition Max Stealth - Tow Vehicle
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #91
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Gotcha, looks great. What does it put down without altitude correction?
Are you asking what my stage 1 dyno pull was? I can find that. It was in the mid 400's on a Mustang dyno.
      10-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #92
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Installed the racing plugs, fresh 300V oil, and a quick drive to the dyno for NASA. Car drives great! Honestly I don't notice any improvement / difference from the previous plugs. First dyno pull was very odd as it dipped high in the RPM band. The car figured itself out.

Consecutive pulls saw material increases ending at 539/420 before I called it as I don't need anything higher. Already in TT1 with those numbers…
Thanks for sharing! That is really strong for STG1, DRLane what are your mods? I just installed my Harrop and after having an ESS625 that put down, 533rwhp, I know my kit is quite a bit shy of that power level.
That is a good question, but whatever his mods are they seem to let the Harrop 'breathe". I hope DRLane will chime in with his mods list and let us know the secret sauce applied to get those numbers. I'm guessing catless (or very high flow cats), maybe new headers, high flow air filter, a dash of E85 or at least 93 E10, BPM ECU Stage 2 flash (for Harrop?), NGK Racing plugs (one step cooler), higher flow back box mufflers.. Am I close..?

But yes running a slightly different crank pulley and tune to help with the altitude gap. I'm not quite stage 2 as I'm on original Harrop kit injectors. Run drives very well!!!
Vely inderesting.. Thanks for the details. Would love to know if the high altitude "tune" is from Mr. Mike Benvo or someone else? Does the higher boost really come from spinning the blower faster with a smaller diameter nose pulley - or from some other approach with the crank pulley?

If the crank pulley were a different diameter I'm not sure what effect that would have on drive belt speed (or on the ancillaries pulley speeds). Is yours bigger or smaller diameter than the OEM crank pulley diameter?

Can you give us a tad more details about the secret sauce to generating more boost and the tune provider? Thanks for indulging me?

PS:
Your strategy sounds similar to Mike Benvo's stage 2 approach sans the bigger injectors.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #93
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Vely inderesting.. Thanks for the details. Would love to know if the high altitude "tune" is from Mr. Mike Benvo or someone else? Does the higher boost really come from spinning the blower faster with a smaller diameter nose pulley - or from some other approach with the crank pulley?

If the crank pulley were a different diameter I'm not sure what effect that would have on drive belt speed (or on the ancillaries pulley speeds). Is yours bigger or smaller diameter than the OEM crank pulley diameter?

Can you give us a tad more details about the secret sauce to generating more boost and the tune provider? Thanks for indulging me?

PS:
Your strategy sounds similar to Mike Benvo's stage 2 approach sans the bigger injectors.
It's Mike's solution for my situation. Like I said, not necessarily the true stage 2 but close. The larger diameter crank pulley is the only option to generate more boost as the SC pulley is already the smallest it can be. If you want a stage 2 setup reach out to Mike directly (not through the public forum) and have a conversation about what's possible. It took several months to have the crank pulley machined so this isn't a quick resolution. But he's super approachable and receptive to helping with your unique requirements. But again, engage him directly…
drwankel1025.50
      10-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #94
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PS:
It's Mike's solution for my situation. Like I said, not necessarily the true stage 2 but close. The larger diameter crank pulley is the only option to generate more boost as the SC pulley is already the smallest it can be. If you want a stage 2 setup reach out to Mike directly (not through the public forum) and have a conversation about what's possible. It took several months to have the crank pulley machined so this isn't a quick resolution. But he's super approachable and receptive to helping with your unique requirements. But again, engage him directly…
Thanks for the info. I was just interested in hearing more about your setup. I'm not wanting a stage 2 setup at the moment. I'm an advocate for Mike and agree with your sentiments. I can recall that stage 2 has been a hot topic on this forum - so you are right about direct contact if ever needed. Kudos to Mike for providing a high altitude tweak and tune. Very nice and great customer service.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #95
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PS:
Thanks for the info. I was just interested in hearing more about your setup. I'm not wanting a stage 2 setup at the moment. I'm an advocate for Mike and agree with your sentiments. I can recall that stage 2 has been a hot topic on this forum - so you are right about direct contact if ever needed. Kudos to Mike for providing a high altitude tweak and tune. Very nice and great customer service.
Mike is very knowledgeable regarding our platform, and super hard working. I enjoy working with him. Happy to help where I can.
      10-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #96
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Just ordered a set of the colder plugs. We'll see how they hold up.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #97
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Just ordered a set of the colder plugs. We'll see how they hold up.
Any updates?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #98
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Any updates?
They are actually going in tomorrow. Should have info soon.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #99
drwankel
Major
Rep

Colder plugs have been installed.

So far so good. Will update with my thoughts after a few weeks of running them.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      12-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #100
drwankel
Major
Rep

Update after a little bit of time running them.

No issues at all. Car feels peppier, but that could just be from fresh plugs.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      12-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #101
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Update after a little bit of time running them.

No issues at all. Car feels peppier, but that could just be from fresh plugs.
That's what I noticed as well.
Easily could feel the snappier throttle response right after installation.
In my case, it seems like that tapers off in a week or so.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      08-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #102
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
My Harrop SC Kit is For Sale:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950645
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #103
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Max Boost 4psi, Looking for Help/Suggestions

Hello, I don't post much, but I am having an issue that is apperantly quite diffiult to solve. I am not looking for any bashing, just constructive feedback please if you have had a similar issue. My purchase of a very early 2015 Harrop from DrFerry went very smoothly with no issues, but the install has not gone well after the initial install. Intial install was completed in a day and car was idling fine. I should say just a couple nagging issues persist, because car starts and runs fine, albeit pegs at a steady 4 psi and small but noticeable breakup from 5-6K rpm. Install is being done at my local shop Performance Technic and lots of support from Mike at BPM. They have installed quite a few of these kits and this is the first one to exhibit such issues. Mike has sent me a new Harrop controller but unfortunately this did not help. They have checked three ways to Sunday for a normal so to speak "boost leak" and can't find anything. Manual boost gauge builds boost to 4psi nearly instantly on WOT and just sits there to redline. Electronic BOV has been recalibrated numerous times. Needless to say this is draining by wallet like a thousand paper cuts and yes more than a new kit would have cost now. I don't need to hear about that, but would love to hear if anyone else experienced a similar issue and what solved it. Thank you!

New things installed:
Throttle actuators
Idle controller
fuel tank vent valve
plugs
VC gaskets
Flow matched big blues
S/C belt Gatorback
air filter

2009 E93 78K miles, DCT
Ran beautiful previously:
EVenturi
Quad resonated X-pipe
Vanguard Ti exhaust
Ohlins Coilovers
BBS Fi's
BPM Tune
BPM DCT Tune
Dinan Power Pulley
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #104
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
Hello, I don't post much, but I am having an issue that is apperantly quite diffiult to solve. I am not looking for any bashing, just constructive feedback please if you have had a similar issue. My purchase of a very early 2015 Harrop from DrFerry went very smoothly with no issues, but the install has not gone well after the initial install. Intial install was completed in a day and car was idling fine. I should say just a couple nagging issues persist, because car starts and runs fine, albeit pegs at a steady 4 psi and small but noticeable breakup from 5-6K rpm. Install is being done at my local shop Performance Technic and lots of support from Mike at BPM. They have installed quite a few of these kits and this is the first one to exhibit such issues. Mike has sent me a new Harrop controller but unfortunately this did not help. They have checked three ways to Sunday for a normal so to speak "boost leak" and can't find anything. Manual boost gauge builds boost to 4psi nearly instantly on WOT and just sits there to redline. Electronic BOV has been recalibrated numerous times. Needless to say this is draining by wallet like a thousand paper cuts and yes more than a new kit would have cost now. I don't need to hear about that, but would love to hear if anyone else experienced a similar issue and what solved it. Thank you!

New things installed:
Throttle actuators
Idle controller
fuel tank vent valve
plugs
VC gaskets
Flow matched big blues
S/C belt Gatorback
air filter

2009 E93 78K miles, DCT
EVenturi
Quad resonated X-pipe
Vanguard Ti exhaust
Ohlins Coilovers
BBS Fi's
BPM Tune
BPM DCT Tune
Dinan Power Pulley
The question is why can't boost continue building beyond 4PSi?

DrFerry Do you have any old dyno sheets?
      11-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #105
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:

New things installed:
Throttle actuators
Idle controller
fuel tank vent valve
plugs
VC gaskets
Flow matched big blues
S/C belt Gatorback
air filter

2009 E93 78K miles, DCT
EVenturi
Quad resonated X-pipe
Vanguard Ti exhaust
Ohlins Coilovers
BBS Fi's
BPM Tune
BPM DCT Tune
Dinan Power Pulley

Yes, that is indeed "the" question. regarding Dyno sheets: possibly so on an old computer. I'll see if I can locate them. I recall the shop measuring wheel horsepower, torque and AFR, but I'm not sure if the shop monitored boost when those Dyno runs were made? PS: that shop is now out of business.

My feeling is there is a boost leak or the bypass valve is not being closed completely.
Appreciate 3
RUG8RB8146.00
DRLane3968.00
      11-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #106
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here is a short video of current actuator motion:

https://youtube.com/shorts/VBqs_DFtq90?feature=share

New things installed:
Throttle actuators
Idle controller
fuel tank vent valve
plugs
VC gaskets
Flow matched big blues
S/C belt Gatorback
air filter

2009 E93 78K miles, DCT
EVenturi
Quad resonated X-pipe
Vanguard Ti exhaust
Ohlins Coilovers
BBS Fi's
BPM Tune
BPM DCT Tune
Dinan Power Pulley

Yes, that is indeed "the" question. regarding Dyno sheets: possibly so on an old computer. I'll see if I can locate them. I recall the shop measuring wheel horsepower, torque and AFR, but I'm not sure if the shop monitored boost when those Dyno runs were made? PS: that shop is now out of business.

My feeling is there is a boost leak or the bypass valve is not being closed completely.
I just spoke with Chris the manager at Harrop USA, and he feels the EBOV is not closing all the way and the threaded rod must be adjusted. Just a guess though. He also mentioned that with my "Open" exhaust that I may not build 6.5 psi of boost. I would like to hear from others that have cat delete free flowing exhaust's to see if this is indeed the case.

Last edited by RUG8RB8; 11-09-2022 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Adding Short Video of Actuator Motion
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #107
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I'm catless and I never tested PSI but based on the cars that end up in my rear view mirror I doubt I'm not building at least 90% boost. Pretty sure the harrop time attack car only has 2 100cpsi cats as there car uses the Akra gt4 exhaust.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #108
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
The question is why can't boost continue building beyond 4PSi? DrFerry Do you have any old dyno sheets?
I was able to find some of the old Dyno sheets. They are shown below. Caveats: All Dyno runs were made using a Mustang Dyno. To make a correlation between Mustang Dyno and a Dynojet data about 14% needs to be added to the Mustang dyno whp and torque numbers. I never had much faith in the shop after they did the Harrop installation, or their Dyno results. That shop is now out of business. Example: One can see the RPM axis data trace doesn't go up to the 8300 RPM S65 redline in the second image - though the results aren't that bad. Boost was sampled and logged. The peak boost spike (7psi) should be ignored since it's the result of the throttle bodies suddenly closing. Look instead at the boost plateau trace(s) of about 6psi. I recently came across data from cchen9_ for one of his Harrop E92 M3 dyno runs using a Mustang dyno and I've included his data for comparisons of peak whp and torque etc.
Harrop Dyno runs with M3 World X-Pipe, high flow cats and Pipercross Air Filter

Harrop Dyno run with OEM Exhaust compared to Stock dyno run

My Dyno Runs Data Table With Dynojet Conversion

cchen9_ Harrop Dyno runs on a Mustang Dyno
Attached Images

Last edited by DrFerry; 11-09-2022 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #109
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Those are absolutely in line with my dyno results years ago with stage 1 on mustang dyno.
Takeaway is it was building boost to > 6psi. So there must be a leak.

The individual rubber boots that the plenum snugs into have been known to leak without the Harrop and other FI kits. Can you smoke test under boost pressure?
      11-09-2022, 06:18 PM   #110
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here is a short video of current actuator motion:

https://youtube.com/shorts/VBqs_DFtq90?feature=share

New things installed:
Throttle actuators
Idle controller
fuel tank vent valve
plugs
VC gaskets
Flow matched big blues
S/C belt Gatorback
air filter

2009 E93 78K miles, DCT
EVenturi
Quad resonated X-pipe
Vanguard Ti exhaust
Ohlins Coilovers
BBS Fi's
BPM Tune
BPM DCT Tune
Dinan Power Pulley

I just spoke with Chris the manager at Harrop USA, and he feels the EBOV is not closing all the way and the threaded rod must be adjusted. Just a guess though. He also mentioned that with my "Open" exhaust that I may not build 6.5 psi of boost. I would like to hear from others that have cat delete free flowing exhaust's to see if this is indeed the case.
Agree with DRLane boost leak is a concern. On my first install, I had a throttle body boot that was folded over and leaking on my Harrop setup. I'd get boost up to 6.5 psi (p3 gauge, boost
measurement displayed digitally) but the boost would immediately fall off. Very hard to visualize each boot unless you are inspecting with a flexible fiber optic camera. I picked one up for $50 and it's been handy for other jobs.

You also want to calibrate/zero your boost gauge if not done already.

When I moved the Harrop from my e93 to the e90, I had to replace 4-5 of the throttle body rubber boots. all my boots were properly aligned on the Harrop this time but discovered that one of the metal crimp bands holding the boot on each individual throttle body wasn't tightened properly, and that was causing boost leak. The boot stayed connected to the Harrop unit and pulled right off the engine when I lifted it up to inspect. I think throttle body is technically an incorrect description but I'm referring to the piece feeding air into each engine cylinder, and the rubber boot bridging that piece to the plenum or supercharger unit

Lastly the worm-screw hose clamps seem to loosen after the initial installation and I find that they need to be re-torqued to spec 1-2 weeks later.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6722.50
RUG8RB8146.00