BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #67
Andrew@LutzPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 GT35R

Wow,

that's a lot of exhaust changes! You guys would be best to sell system out there!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #68
RPMnorth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
So I've finally switched up my exhaust again for the ______ time.... Let's hope this is the last time, and I think it is. It sounds awesome now.. Akrapovic slip-on paired with a Fabspeed x-pipe and HFC's. No need to worry about a CEL deleter with this setup. I've had the Fabspeed for approx. 4-5k miles and had 2 CEL's which after a couple hundred miles will clear by themselves.

So has anyone had more combo's than I've had?
  1. Supersprint Sport - Their race version which was ok, but droned like crazy.
  2. Eisenmann Sport - Very nice sounding exhaust, great quality.
  3. Eisenmann Sport W/ Secondary Cat Delete - Was pretty nice, not much louder but much more aggressive sounding
  4. Eisenmann Sport W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - was cool, but at the time I wanted louder
  5. Active Autowerke W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - Really sounded great, was very loud after it was broken in for a few thousand miles. Very exotic sounding when you step on it. Very unique, not the loudest car on the road but eveyone could pick out the unique sound of my car and knew it was me coming
  6. Akrapovic W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - Just installed it today and love it. Probably the most refined sounding muffler of all. More exotic sounding than the Eisenmann and not nearly as loud as the AA. Sounds mean and makes some noise, but also makes the car appear more classy than the previous setup. *** CEL started popping up more frequently with this setup. Not sure why
  7. Akrapovic Slip-on - Switched to this when I get tired of the CEL from the Fabspeed setup. It sounded nice, similar to Eisenmann Sport but titanium sounding (you know what that means if you've heard a titanium exhaust before) Definitely quieter with the OEM Xpipe and cats.
  8. Dinan Slip-On - Just installed this and so far am happy. I wanted something a little louder than previous Akra slip-on but not loud inside the car. The tone is more throaty sounding than the Akra slip-on. Louder just slightly than Akra Slip-on, but not as loud as Akra with xpipe. I think I'm going to do a secondary cat delete to get it a bit louder. I'd love the full system but don't want issues with NYS inspections.

How many systems is that now???? hahahaha

I'll try and get a video soon of my current so it can be compared to the full Akra system.
I think you're just practicing for your new car, haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #69
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Has anyone paired Dinan with Active Autowerke HFC's and X-pipe?

saw this on youtube, sounds crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #70
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^-- I believe that one is catless
      05-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #71
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Updated with #9 M Performance is without a question my favorite, just the right volume and still aggressive and exotic.

Quote:
So I've finally switched up my exhaust again for the ______ time.... Let's hope this is the last time, and I think it is. It sounds awesome now.. Akrapovic slip-on paired with a Fabspeed x-pipe and HFC's. No need to worry about a CEL deleter with this setup. I've had the Fabspeed for approx. 4-5k miles and had 2 CEL's which after a couple hundred miles will clear by themselves.

So has anyone had more combo's than I've had?
  1. Supersprint Sport - Their race version which was ok, but droned like crazy.
  2. Eisenmann Sport - Very nice sounding exhaust, great quality.
  3. Eisenmann Sport W/ Secondary Cat Delete - Was pretty nice, not much louder but much more aggressive sounding
  4. Eisenmann Sport W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - was cool, but at the time I wanted louder
  5. Active Autowerke W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - Really sounded great, was very loud after it was broken in for a few thousand miles. Very exotic sounding when you step on it. Very unique, not the loudest car on the road but eveyone could pick out the unique sound of my car and knew it was me coming
  6. Akrapovic W/ Fabspeed X-Pipe and HFC's - Just installed it today and love it. Probably the most refined sounding muffler of all. More exotic sounding than the Eisenmann and not nearly as loud as the AA. Sounds mean and makes some noise, but also makes the car appear more classy than the previous setup. *** CEL started popping up more frequently with this setup. Not sure why
  7. Akrapovic Slip-on - Switched to this when I get tired of the CEL from the Fabspeed setup. It sounded nice, similar to Eisenmann Sport but titanium sounding (you know what that means if you've heard a titanium exhaust before) Definitely quieter with the OEM Xpipe and cats.
  8. Dinan Slip-On - Just installed this and so far am happy. I wanted something a little louder than previous Akra slip-on but not loud inside the car. The tone is more throaty sounding than the Akra slip-on. Louder just slightly than Akra Slip-on, but not as loud as Akra with xpipe. I think I'm going to do a secondary cat delete to get it a bit louder. I'd love the full system but don't want issues with NYS inspections.

NEW CAR
  9. M Performance - Definitely my favorite by far. Reminds me a lot of my full AA system with the exotic tone it has (a bit different though), but much quieter and absolutely zero drone. Definitely louder than Akra Slip-on, Eisenmann Sport, and Dinan axle-backs. A very unique sound, not overpowering at all, but very aggressive and exotic.

I'll try and get a video soon of my current so it can be compared to the full Akra system.
      05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #72
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I give it 6 months.
      05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #73
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
M Performance - Definitely my favorite by far. Reminds me a lot of my full AA system with the exotic tone it has (a bit different though), but much quieter and absolutely zero drone. Definitely louder than Akra Slip-on, Eisenmann Sport, and Dinan axle-backs. A very unique sound, not overpowering at all, but very aggressive and exotic.

Huh, interesting. Not saying your wrong, but I had a different experience. I found it to be quieter than all of those exhausts except under WOT. There is *much* less bass at low RPMs than any of the aftermarket exhausts, and yet, it screams louder than all of them at higher RPMs. (this was with the stock mid section)

I found the tone to be very different and exotic sounding, but that it only was loud at heavy throttle... around town and putting around, it was way quieter than anything except the stock exhaust. (the Akrapovic slip on is definitely louder below 2500 rpm)

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #74
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

Hey all-
I bought the gintani Xpipe with HFC and 2 resonators, and thought i'd like the meisterschaft gts- but after really listening to the videos and reading the comments realize it will be too loud/obnoxious for me.
the akra does sound very nice, and the no drone is obviously a great attribute, but they are quite expensive.
might you guys recommend another axle back that isnt too loud, doesn't drone too much and is a bit less money? or am i asking for 3 desires to align when by rule of thumb, only 2 can?!

thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #75
mjf6175
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP; 09 Viper Coupe

I am actually looking to do pretty much the same thing as Dan (the post above). I want to use an Xpipe/HFC+resonators and pair it up with either the OEM exhaust or an axle back, don't need it too loud (the Viper with Corsa's fill that need). Does anyone know if the Gintani Xpipe/HFC throws a CEL? I had also considered the Fabspeed Xpipe/HFC but there were a few members here reporting CEL's with the Fabspeed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #76
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Huh, interesting. Not saying your wrong, but I had a different experience. I found it to be quieter than all of those exhausts except under WOT. There is *much* less bass at low RPMs than any of the aftermarket exhausts, and yet, it screams louder than all of them at higher RPMs. (this was with the stock mid section)

I found the tone to be very different and exotic sounding, but that it only was loud at heavy throttle... around town and putting around, it was way quieter than anything except the stock exhaust. (the Akrapovic slip on is definitely louder below 2500 rpm)
hmmmm.... I guess sounds is quite subjective. Although it's quieter in the car, I find to overall volume to be louder than all of those. I don't know. I like it though

I haven't even gotten to hit WOT as my car is brand new.
      05-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #77
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Cool. Yeah, outside the car, I definitely agree, I was shocked at how audible it was outside, since it was so quiet in the car. Did you get a chance to look through it? I couldn't believe it was as quiet as it was at idle, given that it is completely, 100%, roll a lemon through it, straight through. Crazy engineering that would take.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #78
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Cool. Yeah, outside the car, I definitely agree, I was shocked at how audible it was outside, since it was so quiet in the car. Did you get a chance to look through it? I couldn't believe it was as quiet as it was at idle, given that it is completely, 100%, roll a lemon through it, straight through. Crazy engineering that would take.
Didn't. Had it installed at the port before delivery. Got a good deal that way.
      05-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #79
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Any plans to pair the M Performance exhaust with Xpipe / high flow cats / catless etc?
      05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #80
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

i believe i read KITW comment that the m performance was very raspy with x-pipe- and he didnt like it at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #81
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Any plans to pair the M Performance exhaust with Xpipe / high flow cats / catless etc?
nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
i believe i read KITW comment that the m performance was very raspy with x-pipe- and he didnt like it at all.
this
      05-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #82
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
Some people really like that sound. I just don't happen to be one of them

Appreciate 0