BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #45
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I think I know exactly what the OP's problem was because I ran into the same issue. The problem is the f&king Genie remote! I spent like 2 hrs trying to program the homelink, then I took another remote (I had two) and it work on the first try.

First step is a breeze if you replace a battery in the remote and hold it very close to the mirror between the glass and rear-view mirror. Second step is the following:
- click learn button on the overhead unit (it flashes slowly)
- hold just programmed homelink button until it turns from rapid flashing to steady, approximately 2 seconds. If it flashes slowly, you have to go back to the VERY begining
- Go check the light on the overhead unit. It must be steady
- GO back to the car and press the homelink button once again, light should do the same changing from rapid to steady. approximately 2 sec.
- GO check the overhead unit light, it should be off. You are done!

If you tried everything 100 times like I did and the stupid overhead unit light keep flashing rapidly, you have no other choice, but to use a different remote!

I hope I helped someone to avoid a ton of frustration.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #46
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Since the OP never followed up, I figured I would since I had exactly the same issue on my E90:

Everything *appeared* to be working, but then the head unit LED would start flashing quickly halfway through its programming indicating a problem.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, this is a REMOTE problem. Homelink picked up the remote's signal, but apparently something was corrupt and therefore the head unit wouldn't play along. I started over using one of the alternate buttons on the remote (even though the button didn't actually operate the door), and it worked the first time through.

TL;DR: Try a different button on the remote.
      08-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
ydoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Genie keyfob remote -- only small buttons work to program Homelink

Ghengis -- you solved my problem. Thank you!

I struggled with programming Homelink in my e92 M3 for hours until I found your post. As you correctly state, the BIG round button on the small keyfob size Genie opener you picture below will NOT work to program your BMW Homelink.

The other two small buttons (to the left of the big button) WILL program the Homelink. Just pair one of the other two buttons -- either the small oblong shaped one or the small circular one -- to your garage door by pressing the learn button on your door motor mechanism and pushing the desired small remote button three times until the door activates, then follow the BMW/Homelink instructions using that same small button on your Genie keyfob remote you just programmed to your door to "teach" one of the three buttons on the mirror in your BMW.

Then, do the "learn" button routine -- press the learn button on the motor mechanism and within 30 seconds press the button on your mirror that you just paired with the Genie keyfob remote three times (hold the button on the mirror for at least 2 seconds on each of the three pushes) and it should work for you, too.

Thanks, again, Gengis. Your tip ended my long frustration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I was having the same exact problem as the OP. Here's what I learned which might help:

If you are trying to program your HomeLink using the small, three-button keyfob style Genie remote, it will not work.

This one does NOT work:

However, if you program it with one of the big, single button remotes, it will work perfect.

This one works:

If you only have the keyfob style remote, I have heard that you might be able to get it to work by programing one of the small buttons on the remote, then using that button to program your car's HomeLink. The big main button on the keyfob remote does NOT work though. I didn't try it with the small buttons because I had a large single button remote laying around, so I can't confirm. However, the big, single button remote will work for sure.

I hope this helps. Maybe you are just having the same problem as I was.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #48
charyan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335ix

programming garage door remote with bmw 335ix

hey guys,

i looked high and low to no avail. hopefully my story will help some poor soul out there who is trying to program the bimmer.

i have a wayne dalton prodrive garage opener. so if you have this exact model, you're in luck!

follow the following steps:

1) turn on ignition.
2) clear all programs by pressing button #1 & 3 simultaneously until the light blinks fast.
3) simultaneously press and hold the remote control button that you want programmed AND the bmw mirror button that you want to program. make sure you hold the remote close enough for reception to work. this process may take 20 seconds. you can tell if the code is accepted by the rapid blinking light.
4) from the garage door, climb on a ladder to the LEFT side (looking from the garage door) of the garage door opener. you will notice a small button below a light. press and release the small button that says "SW". this will make the light blink. go the the bmw mirror button and select the button that you have programmed earlier from the remote. press and hold for 2 seconds once or twice. it should work now. good luck!

cheers!
charyan
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #49
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

I cannot get my Liftmaster max series remotes to connect with the mirror. I tired genie for out other garage door opener and it connected immediately.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #50
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I have a stubborn homellink as well. My door opener is a Genie. I resolved my issue by relocating the position of the remote from the side to the bottom of the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #51
EasyRhino
Rep
Drives: 2015 335Xi ///M Sport

YES!!! This worked for me. Wayne-Dalton no longer supports their openers so I thought I'd have to replace the damn thing. Three cars, all from different manufacturers, couldn't pair with the opener. Thank you charyan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charyan View Post
hey guys,

i looked high and low to no avail. hopefully my story will help some poor soul out there who is trying to program the bimmer.

i have a wayne dalton prodrive garage opener. so if you have this exact model, you're in luck!

follow the following steps:

1) turn on ignition.
2) clear all programs by pressing button #1 & 3 simultaneously until the light blinks fast.
3) simultaneously press and hold the remote control button that you want programmed AND the bmw mirror button that you want to program. make sure you hold the remote close enough for reception to work. this process may take 20 seconds. you can tell if the code is accepted by the rapid blinking light.
4) from the garage door, climb on a ladder to the LEFT side (looking from the garage door) of the garage door opener. you will notice a small button below a light. press and release the small button that says "SW". this will make the light blink. go the the bmw mirror button and select the button that you have programmed earlier from the remote. press and hold for 2 seconds once or twice. it should work now. good luck!

cheers!
charyan
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #52
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I wish I could set up homelink at my apartment because wouldn't have to carry the key fob. But how the hell am I supposed to to put a ladder on a slanted surface and reach the opener that likes 20 feet high. Fml.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 07:36 PM   #53
TriscuiT
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

Reviving an old thread because I just had this same issue with my 2011 335 and a Genie garage door opener. A link provided above led to HomeLink and selecting the variables. Steps 3 and 4 are the critical pieces and seem to align with prior references to using "different buttons."

https://homelink.com/program/instruc...licode2/0/0/us

Intellicode 2 – General Instructions
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. You will now need to train HomeLink to the Genie transmitter. If any of the buttons on your Genie transmitter is in Intellicode 1 mode (red LED), skip steps 3 & 4 and use that button in step 5. If all buttons on your Genie transmitter are in Intellicode 2 mode (green LED), you must proceed to step 3.
  3. Press and hold an unused Genie button on the transmitter for 10 seconds (LED changes from green to green/red).
  4. Press the same button two times to turn the LED off. The transmitter button should now be in Intellicode 1 mode (red LED).
  5. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.) Note the Genie transmitter will transmit for up to 30 seconds. If HomeLink hasn’t trained within 30 seconds, the Genie transmitter will need to be pressed again. Wait approximately 3 seconds until the led turns off before pressing the button again.
  6. To continue programming HomeLink to the Genie opener, go to the garage door motorhead. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  7. Press and hold the PROGRAM button (square button) on the Genie motorhead until both blue LEDs turn on.
  8. Release the PROGRAM button. The round blue LED should now be on and the long LED should be flashing purple. If the long LED is off, press and release the PROGRAM button again, and the long LED should now be flashing purple. You now have 30 seconds in which to complete the next two steps.
  9. Get back in your vehicle and press (hold for 2 seconds) and release the trained HomeLink button. Repeat (up to 3 times) until the door moves. Programming is complete.
Appreciate 0