BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
derric
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Clicking sound is back....

The engine clicking sound led to a new crank shaft and main bearings being installed on my 09 E90 a few months ago. Car seemed fine and then the other day I noticed the same clicking sound is back. It seems to also happen some when you let off the throttle, previously it seemed to only do it when stepping on the throttle. I am assuming it's the main bearings again which would be a huge disappointment. Anyone else have the sound come back?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Bananas92
Rep
Drives: F80

My clicking came back after the re-torquing of the plate that they do first. Do you get it fix again or get a new engine now?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas92 View Post
My clicking came back after the re-torquing of the plate that they do first. Do you get it fix again or get a new engine now?
Re-torquing the plate did absolutely nothing on my car. Getting the crankshaft/bearings replaced on my car any day now. The parts were on backorder for over a month.

I really hope this doesn't become a reoccurring issue.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Bananas92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Re-torquing the plate did absolutely nothing on my car. Getting the crankshaft/bearings replaced on my car any day now. The parts were on backorder for over a month.

I really hope this doesn't become a reoccurring issue.
That sucks, guess I will be out of the M for a while.

It could be worse though, imagine dealing with this out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by derric View Post
The engine clicking sound led to a new crank shaft and main bearings being installed on my 09 E90 a few months ago.
How many miles since the fix? And how many miles before the fix? Sorry to hear that man. So they just repaired your engine? Did it come out, or was the job done under the car? Just curious. I'd demand a new engine now if it's the same issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

It has come back for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
derric
Private First Class
Rep

It's probably been apx 3K miles since the crank was replaced. Engine leaking oil as well.. Kouii oh man your engine I thought was doing so good too sorry to hear it came back as well. I may ask for a new motor or a buy back at this point. I love the car but this is becoming a hassle car has been in the shop 10+% of the time I've owned it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
derric
Private First Class
Rep

I think it must still be the bearings because unless I was deaf when I first got back, the sound seemed to have left. Maybe the rotating of the bearing wore down the actual slot that the bearing sits on? Not sure..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

derric, the clicking sound is really audible on hot days but on cold days I do not hear it. The behavior is different compared to before.

Before when I drove the car at 25mph in the highest gear possible with the oil temperature needle at 170C the clicking sound is still audible, now it is not audible under this condition (even on hot days or oil temperature at 210C).

Now the sound is not audible until the needle is right in between 170C and 210C when the car is idle or driving at a low speed on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Does anyone have video or audio of the clicking sound?

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Scary notion. I wonder how common this is? Seems to have no bearing on year.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Fuck! I can't believe BMW still has issues with main bearings from 2008. I had my some problems with my engine that was refused to be warranted due to my intervention in the ECU taking off the speed limiter only. That's fine. I rebuilt it using much stronger parts like liners and ceramic coated bearings. I would have thought BMW would have done something about it and they already changed the part numbers on the 2008 main bearings suggesting newer ones. I can't believe they are still failing. I have discussed this before in my rebuild thread. I would blame the oil pumps. Simply because they are not creating enought pressure to lubricate the engine. Couple that with hot weather and it becomes worse.

I hope you get yours fixed guys....

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Bananas92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Fuck! I can't believe BMW still has issues with main bearings from 2008. I had my some problems with my engine that was refused to be warranted due to my intervention in the ECU taking off the speed limiter only. That's fine. I rebuilt it using much stronger parts like liners and ceramic coated bearings. I would have thought BMW would have done something about it and they already changed the part numbers on the 2008 main bearings suggesting newer ones. I can't believe they are still failing. I have discussed this before in my rebuild thread. I would blame the oil pumps. Simply because they are not creating enought pressure to lubricate the engine. Couple that with hot weather and it becomes worse.

I hope you get yours fixed guys....
Just curious, what oil pumps did you replace the old ones with? Oem?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

As I mention in another thread, BMW told my dealership that it was the oil pump making the noise....normal noise in other words. I just wanted to have something on paper from them in case things go south.

We shall see....but when her warranty runs out, so does her time with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Does anyone have video or audio of the clicking sound?
+1

would help a lot...

I had concerns about my engine noise as well after getting the car to full operating temperature... I made a thread about it and found that it's normal engine noise (injectors...and also the clutch chug in neutral).

Last edited by armorrig; 10-06-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
derric
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
+1

would help a lot...

I had concerns about my engine noise as well after getting the car to full operating temperature... I made a thread about it and found that it's normal engine noise (injectors...and also the clutch chug in neutral).
Just search for m3 clicking there are a bunch of videos
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas92 View Post
Just curious, what oil pumps did you replace the old ones with? Oem?
Its a custom oil pump with rebuilt bearings and cogs inside. Housing is still BMW but internally its all changed.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
JB_Vert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

It seems to me that if the problem returns after the replacement shaft and bearings, then there is probably something else wrong. The housing for the crankshaft and bearings may be out of alignment, for example. I've heard people insist that when bearings and shaft have to be replaced, you're wasting your time if you don't also check the housing / engine block. In other words, something is likely causing them to fail other than simply weak bearings.

JB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Vert View Post
It seems to me that if the problem returns after the replacement shaft and bearings, then there is probably something else wrong. The housing for the crankshaft and bearings may be out of alignment, for example. I've heard people insist that when bearings and shaft have to be replaced, you're wasting your time if you don't also check the housing / engine block. In other words, something is likely causing them to fail other than simply weak bearings.

JB
Ditto. Which is why more than a handful who had replaced their crank bearings had their sound return after a while as there are other parts that should have been changed but was not changed.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I'm sure someone has asked the question, but are there any documented engine failures due to this issue?

Mine has been ticking for over 8000 miles now, and the engine seems to be just fine....and I am not shy about wringing the thing out.

It is cooling down here in Houston, and I have noticed that the ticking has indeed decreased in frequency.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

The ticking you guys are hearing is most likely valvetrain noise and injector noise.

I would love to be able to hear your M3's in person to confirm my suspicion. Noise from crank/main bearings is pretty unmistakable and more of a knocking than a ticking/clicking. My 2011 M3 also has a clicking noise at idle however it is faint and I have been able to confirm that it is valvetrain noise. If you guys actually had main bearing noise it would get worse over time and it wouldn't be intermittent. Eventually the sound would turn into a grinding noise and oil pressure would start to drop off enough that the oil pressure warning would turn on at idle.

*****If any of you people end up getting your engine replaced or crank/bearings replaced, do us all a favour and get some pictures of the old bearing shells and crankshaft if at all possible. If it is indeed bearing noise the bearing shells and crankshaft journals would definitely confirm it.
      10-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Bananas92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The ticking you guys are hearing is most likely valvetrain noise and injector noise.

I would love to be able to hear your M3's in person to confirm my suspicion. Noise from crank/main bearings is pretty unmistakable and more of a knocking than a ticking/clicking. My 2011 M3 also has a clicking noise at idle however it is faint and I have been able to confirm that it is valvetrain noise. If you guys actually had main bearing noise it would get worse over time and it wouldn't be intermittent. Eventually the sound would turn into a grinding noise and oil pressure would start to drop off enough that the oil pressure warning would turn on at idle.

*****If any of you people end up getting your engine replaced or crank/bearings replaced, do us all a favour and get some pictures of the old bearing shells and crankshaft if at all possible. If it is indeed bearing noise the bearing shells and crankshaft journals would definitely confirm it.
I had the clicking and it was the bearings. I only had time to take a single picture of the bearings and not the crank. I got the car back and it definitely feels like it has been fixed. I do not hear the clicking and the engine revs sound/feel is slightly different. It could be all in my head though. I'll post the picture later.
Appreciate 0