BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
excitebike99
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Space Gray

Stretch distortions in VS Clear Bra?

Just had my Ventureshield clear bra applied and I'm not exactly happy with the results. Once I got home, I noticed serpiginous folds and depressions in the film. Some as long as 8 inches long. I was hoping it would fade after a week of curing. Nope - still there, unchanged. I e-mailed the installers (I'll withold their identity for now) and was told at first it was purely a "visual distortion" seen under fluorescent lighting. After I stated that I could actually apply a thin layer of wax and see it collect within the folds and depressions, they replied:

"These are what we call stretch distortions. To apply paint protection film via custom or precut, it requires stretching of the materials. The film’s backside is adhesive based. What happens is when we stretch the film to allow it to lay down flat over contoured areas, the adhesive would become distorted in some areas, which is the nature of film application. There is no way to go about paint protection film application without stretching the material. And in the course of stretching the material to have it form to fit on any panel that is not completely flat, stretch marks will form."

I can vaguely understand this explanation, but I'm still not happy. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just let this lie or pursue this further? I'm very tempted to just have the film removed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

It doesn't seem like you would notice it from far away. Clear Bra's are never 100% perfect IMO. I've had a couple installed and I've also seen a couple in Ferrari's and Porches. And although the look perfect, if you get up close you can sometimes see SOME (just some) mild imperfections. In any case, give it some time until the clear bra cures that might go away.
      07-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
excitebike99
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Space Gray

Definite second thoughts ....

Thanks, but I have a feeling it won't go away .....

Having gone over all the clear bra vs. no clear bra debates on the forum, I felt it could be reduced to this: If you have AW, the clear bra will inevitably yellow to some degree and may not be a perfect option. If you have any other color, however, clear bra should be the first thing you should do straight from the dealer after pickup. Any ultimately, you get what you pay for, as installation is KEY.

Well, I paid extra for the privilege to have it installed by the best, and I'm not all that happy. I thought my experience with "stretch distortion" could add something to the debate for those out there still juggling with the decision and as something that I haven't read about until it happened to me.

I just find it odd that these films cater to those who are fastidious enough to care about minor rock chips. But at the same time, we are asked to ignore "stretch distortion" because, hey, it's part of the process and the guy with a bra on his Zonda or Veyron doesn't seem to care ....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Until there is some kind a miracle film, I think if you look close enough, especially with the right colors you'll find imperfections like this. I've installed the film before myself and I'll do it on easy jobs, but the stretch is the key making it fit. It's nearly impossible to make a perfect stretch where the film is all even without the stretchmarks on a difficult contour.

Working on flat surfaces is a piece of cake. A lot of people don't look as closely as you do after they have their clearbra done, then they report it's all perfect. Likewise with tint. But on every clearbra job, every tint job I can point out numerous imperfections.

BUT, judging by the pictures in your case, you might have a legitimate complaint to have it redone. If you've only been corresponding with them in e-mails, it might be better for you to drive in there, point it out and see what they say. I don't think you're being too picky.

I remember when I had my tint done at STM, I found many imperfections. Some I could have had them redo. I told Jay that I've tinted before, I know there's no such thing as perfection and I could live with it. He thanked me for my understanding.
      07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Paint Protector
Registered
Rep
Drives: caddy, mg, chevy

Stretch lines, etc.

Stretch lines, or adhesive distortion, is caused by a number of different circumstances during the application of PPF.
Typically, when an installer (especially on a dark colored car) pulls back the film to then stretch it or repostion it you will get a 'tack' line because of the distortion of the underlying adhesive. This can be minimized or eliminated with a couple of diferent techniques. One is to use spray excess soap solution under the film after pulling it back, let it sit for a minute, then squeegie and stretch. Another is to use a spray wax on the vehicle in areas where any difficult stretching is to occur.

All of the techniques address the same inherent problem with PPF, and that is the aggressiveness of the adhesive. What you are actually seeing is the result of the adhesive tacking down too quickly and then as the film is stretched it pulls on the adhesive and gives 'stretch' marks of uneven adhesive thickness. A 'hotter' soap solution to begin with and an experienced installer will eliminate most all of those marks.

There are still some places that it is unavoidable where you actually have to use the alchohol solution to make the adhesive tack up quicker to hold a critical spot down. You will see the lines then, but generally they are hidden in more complex curved areas.

PPF is not perfect, but there is nothing else like it to protect your paint. I would definately stop back at the installers and ask for a redo of the pieces affected, and then understand that a black car shows everything with no mercy.

Paint Protector is the owner of a PPF shop in Ma and probably 40% of our customers are owners of black cars. We also service BMW dealerships and know the intricacies of all of the BMW models.

Hope this helps and happy MMMMotoring!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Paint Protector
Registered
Rep
Drives: caddy, mg, chevy

Stretch marks

One more thing, those marks, especially in Venture film will fade and level out over time and exposure to the sunlight. thay will not dissappear completely, but will fade in their severity.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

OP: if that were my car I'd ask them to redo it. Better yet, get a refund and go somewhere else. I did extensive research and opted against a clearbra. I never liked it on a AW car.
      07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
OP: if that were my car I'd ask them to redo it. Better yet, get a refund and go somewhere else. I did extensive research and opted against a clearbra. I never liked it on a AW car.
The only acceptable clear bra IMO for an Alpine White is venture shield. Its thin and pretty clear. I had a 3M installed on my last AW and to be honest, you could see it from EVERY angle. It sucked!
      07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

for a faster installation the installer(s) probably used too high of alcohol/water % mixture, making the solution too aggressive. this will also cause the lines

Paint Protector
      07-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Don't know what extensive research you did but I got my AW wrapped asap. The guys at Premier did an awesome job. They stay 4 hrs extra (to 11pm) to finish my car up.

Close up on the CF roof . You can barely see the cut line there.

Close up on the front driver side area (near mirror).

Just so you know, the roof, hood, fenders, bumper, side mirrors, headlights and even the AW reflectors were wrapped. Even though those pictures doesn't do its justice, it was hard to tell which part is and which part isn't wrapped in person.

As for the OP: I suggest you take your car back to get it fixed unless they do refund. I have to take my car back in 30 days as a complementary check up by the guys at Premier.

Last edited by ducman; 07-14-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
djsueno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80 M3

ducman can you post the contact info for premier? i'm about to take delivery on my 2011 E92 coupe and would like to give them a call on this. congrats your car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsueno View Post
ducman can you post the contact info for premier? i'm about to take delivery on my 2011 E92 coupe and would like to give them a call on this. congrats your car looks great!
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/contact_pfoc.shtml

You'll most likely talk to Chris, he's a cool guy. Give him a call ahead of time if you have questions. If you're interested, you should try and get it wrapped right after taking delivery. They do wash, clay, polish, wax, seal, etc. your car before they wrap it.

I got my tints done from them too which knocked off $100 bucks for the clear bra. Their diamond cut ir tints are superior than huper optik and they do really good job at the installs. No bubbling on the dot matrix area at all.
Appreciate 0