BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

12-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #67
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Slight correction...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I think somehow you got air in the system. You have DCT so no clutch to bleed or worry about. You may need to run through INPA or take it to an indy to pulse the ABS system.

Typically I find, right after a brake flush, you need to start the car and press on the brakes and top off fluid prior, during, and after.

Assuming you went furthest from master cylinder to front, everything you did sounds correct however, the output of your effort points to air in the system.

Since the air/gas is MORE compressible than the fluid, it would make sense that you can eventually build up pressure.

There COULD be some other issue causing your symptom like a leaking master cylinder. The caliper you replaced could also still have air in it since it was new.
Also, OP, you can manually activate the ABS to try to pump some of the air out and then re-bleed. Just find an empty parking lot, accelerate, jam on the brakes like you're Mr. Brembo and viola', ABS activation. For even easier activation, do this while turning.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #68
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Slight correction...

Also, OP, you can manually activate the ABS to try to pump some of the air out and then re-bleed. Just find an empty parking lot, accelerate, jam on the brakes like you're Mr. Brembo and viola', ABS activation. For even easier activation, do this while turning.
Oops, thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #69
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Possibly tap the new caliper with rubber mallet as bleeding. Did this during st40 install.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #70
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Possibly tap the new caliper with rubber mallet as bleeding. Did this during st40 install.
Yes! Another good tip. Break the surface tension of the air bubble(s) and the caliper.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #71
Duckengine
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I think somehow you got air in the system. You have DCT so no clutch to bleed or worry about. You may need to run through INPA or take it to an indy to pulse the ABS system.

Typically I find, right after a brake flush, you need to start the car and press on the brakes and top off fluid prior, during, and after.

Assuming you went furthest from master cylinder to front, everything you did sounds correct however, the output of your effort points to air in the system.

Since the air/gas is MORE (thanks admranger!) compressible than the fluid, it would make sense that you can eventually build up pressure.

There COULD be some other issue causing your symptom like a leaking master cylinder. The caliper you replaced could also still have air in it since it was new.
I think activating the ABS is the key...working on the software install. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #72
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Pleasant clutch bleeding surprise folks. After half an hour of turning the bleeding valve a full turn with my vacuum machine attached to it (no freaking s p a c e -why the hell the system censors that word????) and no fluid, I knew I was dealing with a check valve. Got out from under the car, opened door, push clutch pedal with hand and it went in like butter. Did that 10 times more and I was done. Clutch worked perfectly after closing it. Next time it's going to take me 2 minutes after removing shield.

Here's the drill:
- Remove belly pan (3 screws in front, 2 in back, and 2 on each side).
- Remove cap from valve and loosen it one full turn with a 1/4" ratchet and 11mm standard socket.
- Valve will just spew fluid when you push the clutch pedal, so use any method you want to catch it that won't splash. This is a one-person job folks .
- Push clutch pedal slowly (and return slowly as well) about 10 times, and you're done.
- Screw valve clockwise with ratchet until you feel a 'click' and it stops turning. DO NOT apply too much force since it's PLASTIC.
- Reinstall belly pan and you're done. This is the easiest clutch I've ever bled, and the most effective way is by pushing the pedal, but I never do it that way since helper can screw up. No chance for that here; great feature .

By the way, rear brakes require a 9mm closed wrench and front 11mm, and are regular valves (the way I like them on the brakes). Job done in about an hour with a vacuum bleeder (the best way IMO). Fluid was clean (no debris inside the reservoir, like most of my new cars), which was good news, so no need to destroy the filter to clean the reservoir. Just amber in color. From now on will do it yearly, like all my other vehicles. Just $10 and an hour of my time. Well, probably 2 hours since I like to clean the undercarriage . Hope this helps folks.
during the clutch bleed, did you have to watch the reservoir closely since the clutch fluid intake is a lot higher in the reservoir and when did you refill between pumps(every 2 or 3 pumps)?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #73
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

This thread shows an alternate way to manually bleed the ABS module:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...abs+activation

Question: better to bleed the ABS module first? Or after the calipers have been blead?
Appreciate 0