BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
elvism
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
I have a 2011 w/ 42,700 miles. Had 5900 miles on the oil tested. No plans for rod bearings .As far I recall it was an early production issue.
My late 2011 production engine seized with 68k miles. Based on the (admittedly limited) statistics that have been compiled, if anything, the later engines are more prone to failure.

Keep in mind:
Oil test results aren’t very informative on the tin/aluminum bearing engines as you no longer have an obvious lead/copper contamination line. Also, I’m not sure why you posted the extremely uninformative Blackstone commentary instead of the actual results.
I posted my results and just my opinion. I wasn't stating a fact. Not sure if you read my post from a few weeks ago. I had emailed five different shop foreman from five different BMW dealerships regarding the rod bearing issue.

Here are some of the replies:

To be honest with you I have not seen any issues with the rod bearings on this engine. We have seen a few M3s with throttle actuators that had to be replaced. In my opinion why replace something if it is still working. Even if the throttle actuator sets a fault you should still be able to drive the car in and have it replaced. You seem like the kind of person who really appreciates the car, will take very good care of it and not beat the hell out of it. Enjoy your car.

Hello Mike
Bearings, we have not done any in our shop. Throttles we have done a few. I hope this helps, I would keep it maintained, everything eventually fails at one point!

Hello Mike,

We haven't seen rod bearing issues at the dealership level... I've heard about it happening from a couple of independent shops that I know of.
My recommendation would be to change your engine oil early and often... No more than 5,000 miles or once a year. Which ever comes first!!!
We have seen throttle body actuator failures... I wouldn't worry until the time comes... Hopefully never!

I think you said it best... Your enjoying the vehicle! Is it worth opening the bottom of your engine to to address something that may or may not happen? I personally wouldn't... Someone else my share a different opinion.

The exhaust sounds very good. In all honesty the rod bearing is overhyped. I would spend it on the exhaust.
———————-

My side note : I would like to know approximately how many engines seized? Non Supercharged
Btw: sorry it happened to you
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #24
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Urena says the M3 experienced total engine failure when it had 36,395 miles and was towed back to the BMW dealership that said the engine seized from "over-revving."
it seriously takes effort to overrev the S65 when redline's at 8400 rpm lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I doubt they'll get what they want out of this. I just went through a similar situation with the N20 engine in my wife's '13 X3, where it stopped on the freeway dead in its tracks with the well-documented timing chain failure. BMWNA's solution to the problem was to quietly extend the warranty on the engine to 7/70k, so mine was covered in full. They did not issue a recall or admit any fault with anything.
you should consult a lemon law attorney in your state
if your normal warranty was valid until 2018, you should still be within the statute of limitation (time limit) to pursue a lemon law claim

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I posted my results and just my opinion. I wasn't stating a fact. Not sure if you read my post from a few weeks ago. I had emailed five different shop foreman from five different BMW dealerships regarding the rod bearing issue.

Here are some of the replies:

To be honest with you I have not seen any issues with the rod bearings on this engine. We have seen a few M3s with throttle actuators that had to be replaced. In my opinion why replace something if it is still working. Even if the throttle actuator sets a fault you should still be able to drive the car in and have it replaced. You seem like the kind of person who really appreciates the car, will take very good care of it and not beat the hell out of it. Enjoy your car.

Hello Mike
Bearings, we have not done any in our shop. Throttles we have done a few. I hope this helps, I would keep it maintained, everything eventually fails at one point!

Hello Mike,

We haven't seen rod bearing issues at the dealership level... I've heard about it happening from a couple of independent shops that I know of.
My recommendation would be to change your engine oil early and often... No more than 5,000 miles or once a year. Which ever comes first!!!
We have seen throttle body actuator failures... I wouldn't worry until the time comes... Hopefully never!

I think you said it best... Your enjoying the vehicle! Is it worth opening the bottom of your engine to to address something that may or may not happen? I personally wouldn't... Someone else my share a different opinion.

The exhaust sounds very good. In all honesty the rod bearing is overhyped. I would spend it on the exhaust.
———————-

My side note : I would like to know approximately how many engines seized? Non Supercharged
Btw: sorry it happened to you
it's a BMW corporate conspiracy to keep a lid on the rod bearing issue

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
you should consult a lemon law attorney in your state
if your normal warranty was valid until 2018, you should still be within the statute of limitation (time limit) to pursue a lemon law claim
Lemon law wouldn't apply because I bought the car slightly used, not new, and the timing chain problem basically gives zero notice so there's nothing to even complain about until the engine blows itself. In the end they covered it so I am good but there's no way I'd own any of the N20 2.0T engines from '13-14 while out of warranty.
      01-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #27
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lemon law wouldn't apply because I bought the car slightly used, not new, and the timing chain problem basically gives zero notice so there's nothing to even complain about until the engine blows itself. In the end they covered it so I am good but there's no way I'd own any of the N20 2.0T engines from '13-14 while out of warranty.
again, this is why you should consult a lemon law attorney in your state

lemon law applies to used cars as long as it is still under warranty
and if the timing chain blows up the engine and it's out of service while under warranty, that's a viable lemon law claim

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
again, this is why you should consult a lemon law attorney in your state

lemon law applies to used cars as long as it is still under warranty
and if the timing chain blows up the engine and it's out of service while under warranty, that's a viable lemon law claim
But they don't apply to cars that suffered a single (even a major) failure that was completely rectified (by installing a new engine at no charge) within three days of the dealer receiving the car.

Common lemon law claims apply after a dealer fails to fix a car multiple times, the car is out of service for a long time, etc. I can literally prove almost no damages here, maybe save for a couple hundred bucks for a tow charge to get the vehicle to my preferred dealer rather than the closest dealer.

It would be a waste of everyone's time to pursue a lemon law claim for a problem that the dealer fixed on the first try. It doesn't fit the letter or the spirit of the law.
      01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #29
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But they don't apply to cars that suffered a single (even a major) failure that was completely rectified (by installing a new engine at no charge) within three days of the dealer receiving the car.
you went to a dealership who was really on the ball then
carry on

you're right
under those circumstances, no lemon claim

Appreciate 0