BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

04-28-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

CIM Motorsports discusses rod bearings and oil

Hey guys so the time has come where I found a shop to do my rod bearing work. It's CIM Motorsports. In this video Rick, the owner, discusses rod bearing clearance and oil.

04-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

thanks for sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
The fact the guy said " should be in the hundredths" means he has no clue what he's talking about. This video is garbage. He's describing basic engine math and nothing more. He doesn't even know the proper specifications. What a gigantic shit show. The equivalent of taking medical advice from a carpenter.

One would think the owner of the shop could take the time to look up the specifications and correct information before this ****** came to make a video. There is zero preparation. He doesn't even know why 10w60 is used in motorsports engines. Measuring oil clearance without torquing the bolts... I get that you have to use new bolts after measuring, but you CANNOT measure oil clearance without torquing the bolt. That is basic engines 101. Seriously. Highschool kids at UTI fucking know this after their first class.

Im pretty sure RDDC just ruined this guys reputation as the a go to place for S65 rod bearing service or any service for that matter. Completely made him look like a hack mechanic. Though the shop owner did alittle of that himself by not being prepared.

Last edited by Solo_M_Tech; 04-30-2017 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
The fact the guy said " should be in the hundredths" means he has no clue what he's talking about. This video is garbage. He's describing basic engine math and nothing more. He doesn't even know the proper specifications. What a gigantic shit show.
Ok. Races M3's and Porsches for over 20 years and you still discredit. Go you. Put your car together with slop. I'll put my trust in someone who does it on the daily. So go be salty somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm going to try to keep this short, I usually don't bother responding at all to all the crap about rod bearings anymore, there is enough info out there where if you wanted the correct info you could find it. I understand you are trying to drive traffic to your youtube channel, but nothing new was presented, some info is actually out of date and some of it is just wrong or doesn't make sense.

Of the 3 coated bearing options. OEM bearings plus the WPC treatment is the least preferred option since the 2 better options came to market, WPC was once preferred a few years ago but not anymore. It is treatment done to factory bearings and doesn't address clearance issues.

BE/VAC are the two most preferred options. Sounds like CIM is out of the loop on this one and haven't been keeping up to date on the options available for the S65, I'm sure they have a lot of experience but they seem more focused on Porsches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Rick even said he will take the connecting rod completely out and measure each one to make sure the tolerance is the same across the complete engine.
Please explain how he will 'take the connection rod completely out and measure each one', that cannot be done with the engine still in the car and the heads still on, he'll have to remove the engine, remove the heads, remove the crank to get the piston and connecting rods out. Again this is why this explanation in the video doesn't make sense. He cannot measure clearance in these engines the way he is describing unless he plans on doing a full engine rebuild.

I'm sorry just because you are a Diffusion Engineer, doesn't mean you know how an S65 engine works. Same as your other claims.

Also not that it matters but I have never heard of CIM before, while you say they are recommended on these forums, perhaps it's because I am in FL and maybe that info is posted in the Northeast section and I just haven't come across it or it hasn't stood out, but I know that MRF, EAS, AA, Eurocharged, Autoculture to name a few, they are mentioned more frequently / recommended on the forum and they also share information here. I doubt I ever seen CIM post any info on their shop or shared bearings from M3s they've worked on. Only one of close shops are close to me but I've heard of the others and read the information they've shared on it, so they seem to be more well known online.

Goodluck with your bearings, i'm sure you will be fine.
But just know you didn't come up with some magic solution nor revealed any new info on the topic, in fact the information is out of date and some parts wrong.

Last edited by tdott; 05-02-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
blue-mw217.00
BOOF-M34448.50
      05-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Ok. Races M3's and Porsches for over 20 years and you still discredit. Go you. Put your car together with slop. I'll put my trust in someone who does it on the daily. So go be salty somewhere else.
You posted it here, you get to deal with the fallout from contributing to the noise side of the signal/noise ratio

Last edited by Richbot; 05-01-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
blue-mw217.00
      05-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
schnitzed328
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 e92 zcp dct aw

There is a shop in New Jersey that does rod bearing cheaper than your quote and does an alignment after the new rod bearings installed.....and they are know. In this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzed328 View Post
There is a shop in New Jersey that does rod bearing cheaper than your quote and does an alignment after the new rod bearings installed.....and they are know. In this forum
Could you PM me there name
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

05-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Also not that it matters but I have never heard of CIM before, while you say they are recommended on these forums, perhaps it's because I am in FL and maybe that info is posted in the Northeast section and I just haven't come across it or it hasn't stood out, but I know that MRF, EAS, AA, Eurocharged, Autoculture to name a few, they are mentioned more frequently / recommended on the forum and they also share information here. I doubt I ever seen CIM post any info on their shop or shared bearings from M3s they've worked on. Only one of close shops are close to me but I've heard of the others and read the information they've shared on it, so they seem to be more well known online.
That's because CIM is too busy racing M3s and Porsches for 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Could you PM me there name
ACM LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

I just remember the owners previous video where he went to a BMW dealership and they quoted him 8k for the job lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #13
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

OP probably worked out a deal with this shop where he'll make a video to promo them in exchange for a better price on rod bearing job.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Of the 3 coated bearing options. OEM bearings plus the WPC treatment is the least preferred option since the 2 better options came to market, WPC was once preferred a few years ago but not anymore. It adds thickness to the bearing, making the tight clearance issue worse but slightly better than OEM perhaps because it has a coating.

Good post but need to correct this. WPC treatment doesn't add thickness. It's micro-shot peening of the bearing surface....not a coating.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #15
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Good post but need to correct this. WPC treatment doesn't add thickness. It's micro-shot peening of the bearing surface....not a coating.
Thanks fixed.
Appreciate 0