BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #1959
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

NJMP Thunderbolt - 133:6
Ohlins R&T
255/275 RE-71r's
PFC-11 Pads with SRF
Stock Power
Timed on race chrono with external GPS

I could definitely make up some time on turn 4, but that right hander is notorious if you overcook it. Saw quite a few wrecks this weekend, today was a wash out.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #1960
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
Track: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:40.209 (transponder and traqmate)
Best Lap Time: 1:37.59 (transponder and traqmate)

Car: 2011 E92 M3 DCT
Suspension: KW Clubsports, Eibach FSB
Brakes: StopTech ST-40 Fronts, EAS Rear Rotors, PFC-08 Pads Front/Rear
Mods: Akrapovic Evolution Full Exhaust System, AA Pulley, MS Intake, BPM Tune, Racetech Race Seats, Bimmerworld Rollbar, Zebulon Front Splitter, Zebulon Rear Wing
Tires: 265/35-18 Yokohama A052s on ARC8 18x10.5 Front/Rear
Weight: 3600 lbs w/ driver

Really quick first session with SpeedSF yesterday. Haven't driven Laguna since June, so going out and going fast was tough and looking at the data, there's definitely a mid-36 in the car in those conditions with some extra track familiarity. Small changes since the last time I was out at Laguna, did the full Akrapovic exhaust but added a rollbar - probably a wash on weight and since it was the first session I was full up on gas. Unfortunately the second session was ~2 hours later and I couldn't replicate this lap by then with the sun beating down on the track surface... It really greases up in T2 and T11 on a sunny day. I did a 38.1 in the second session and 39.6 in the third, even though I was burning off fuel and pushing the limits more.

Super happy with the car, the rear (oem) LSD is worn out and I haven't had a chance to address that yet, hopefully before the next event I'll get something new. The newly added Zebulon Front Splitter really helped with grip, I added about 3 degrees of rear wing angle and it was still looser at high speeds than it used to be (and I left the front bar in the middle setting instead of softening it like I used to.) Bonus, the splitter only just barely touched the ground coming down the cork screw a couple times, so the height seems good. Overall I think the Bridgestones and Yokohamas are pretty similar on pace, but it's hard to say for sure without running back to back. The A052s still grease up when they're hot.

Video:

Last edited by fsmtnbiker; 10-27-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 5
_paolo189.50
roastbeef11583.00
kyrix1st2356.50
      10-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #1961
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Super happy with the car, the rear (oem) LSD is worn out and I haven't had a chance to address that yet, hopefully before the next event I'll get something new. The newly added Zebulon Front Splitter really helped with grip, I added about 3 degrees of rear wing angle and it was still looser at high speeds than it used to be (and I left the front bar in the middle setting instead of softening it like I used to.) Bonus, the splitter only just barely touched the ground coming down the cork screw a couple times, so the height seems good. Overall I think the Bridgestones and Yokohamas are pretty similar on pace, but it's hard to say for sure without running back to back. The A052s still grease up when they're hot.
Interested to see what your choice is on the next LSD!
And whats the review on the A052's? Doesn't seem like many people are really running them on track...More or less greasy than the Bridgestones?? I would hope slightly less, but maybe its wishful thinking. And the 265 not too stretched on the 10.5 wheel? I may consider throwing them on at some point next year...

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #1962
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Mods: Akrapovic Evolution Full Exhaust System, AA Pulley, MS Intake, BPM Tune, Racetech Race Seats, Bimmerworld Rollbar, Zebulon Front Splitter, Zebulon Rear Wing
Tires: 265/35-18 Yokohama A052s on ARC8 18x10.5 Front/Rear
Weight: 3600 lbs w/ driver

Really quick first session with SpeedSF yesterday. Haven't driven Laguna since June, so going out and going fast was tough and looking at the data, there's definitely a mid-36 in the car in those conditions with some extra track familiarity. Small changes since the last time I was out at Laguna, did the full Akrapovic exhaust but added a rollbar - probably a wash on weight and since it was the first session I was full up on gas. Unfortunately the second session was ~2 hours later and I couldn't replicate this lap by then with the sun beating down on the track surface... It really greases up in T2 and T11 on a sunny day. I did a 38.1 in the second session and 39.6 in the third, even though I was burning off fuel and pushing the limits more.

very nice lap and good example of using the whole track. beautiful line at the crest of 8 and execution of the corkscrew.
can we see some detailed pics of your aero?
      10-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #1963
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
very nice lap and good example of using the whole track. beautiful line at the crest of 8 and execution of the corkscrew.
can we see some detailed pics of your aero?
Sorry I missed your question about the aero the first time around.

I don't have great pics of the wing, I'll take some tonight when I get home. It's all in the 'attached, but not done' phase so it is a bit ugly. Need to paint everything, clean up the mounting brackets, etc.

The splitter is mounted at 4 points: 2 gas shocks up front and 2 hard mounts to the front subframe with coupling nuts. Pics:

Name:  IMG_5003.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  150.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  305.2 KB

It mounted up pretty well - I will space the front down a bit before the next track day as it is just flat or maybe very slightly angles upwards now. I was in a rush to get it installed so I didn't get much further than just throwing it on. It all fit well and the front diffusers came out really nicely. This isn't a super aggressive setup, but I may have Zebulon build a much more radical setup if I go with the flossman front fenders to help extract air. There's plenty of room left to add rear downforce, it's just a matter of keeping it balanced up front.

Name:  splitter.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  1,019.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5006.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  457.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5007.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  447.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5011.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  275.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5013.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5014.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  574.0 KB

Let me know if there's anything specific you want to see, I'll have the splitter back off to do some mounting updates and get things sorted out for angle.
      10-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #1964
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Interested to see what your choice is on the next LSD!
And whats the review on the A052's? Doesn't seem like many people are really running them on track...More or less greasy than the Bridgestones?? I would hope slightly less, but maybe its wishful thinking. And the 265 not too stretched on the 10.5 wheel? I may consider throwing them on at some point next year...
I'm still not sure what to do on the LSD.. But I need to do something soon.

I think overall the A052s grease up less than the Bridgestones, but they still got greasy. The 265s are pretty square on the 10.5's but they have no rim protector, so the wheel lip sticks out a bit and if you lay them down it sits on the wheel, not the tire. Overall, I think the tire would be happy on a 10 or 10.5" wheel but I wouldn't want to go much narrower. They definitely don't look stretched.

285 bridgestone vs 265 yoko, same wheels:

Name:  IMG_4623.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  1.14 MB
      11-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #1965
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Best lap time: 1:36.28 (transponder and traqmate)

Tires: 295/30-18 Nankang AR1s on ARC8 18x10.5 Front/Rear
Weight: 3550 lbs w/ driver

Great day out with Speed District today. Lots of open track time. Tried out the AR1s for the first time - they’re a great lapping day tire. Fairly consistent with heat and reasonable grip. I think a Yoko A052 in the same size would run as quick or maybe a little quicker for one lap, but these can take a beating. Great if you’re trying to get some laps in and learn the course/car.

I’m hoping to get up to Sonoma sometime soon, this was my 3rd Laguna day in a row and I’m ready to mix it up a little. I also want to go back to BW and see if I can shave a couple seconds off from my last trip there.

Video:

Appreciate 2
Ximian1914.50
_paolo189.50
      11-23-2019, 01:19 AM   #1966
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Wow very nice lap times. Sounds like AR1 are a good choice over A052. What I have heard is that AR1 requires more precise driving with less tolerance for error than A052. Does that line up with your experience? (AR1 = be clinical, A052 = less clinical)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #1967
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Best lap time: 1:36.28 (transponder and traqmate)
Really enjoying seeing your progress at Laguna. You’re crushing it!!

I love that track. But I can only get there once a year. (Didn’t get there this year at all.....blah.)

I met Melchior at High Plains a few months ago. Nice dude. We talked about the racing you guys do. Very cool stuff!

Looking forward hearing how you dig Sonoma and Thunderhill!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #1968
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Wow very nice lap times. Sounds like AR1 are a good choice over A052. What I have heard is that AR1 requires more precise driving with less tolerance for error than A052. Does that line up with your experience? (AR1 = be clinical, A052 = less clinical)
Yeah, overall I would say the A052 tolerates a bit more slip angle without penalty. Also, after 5 sessions of about 15mins each, the tires look like they can do at least 3-4 more days minimum. Great to have some longevity at this pace. We’ll see how they cope with heat cycling as time goes on. It was still possible to overheat the AR1 but I was driving pretty hard for 4-5 laps before I really felt them falling off... and it wasn’t a dramatic drop like the RE71 or A052, just a bit more slip-sliding around midcorner and on exit. For the cost the AR1 seems pretty awesome.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      11-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #1969
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Really enjoying seeing your progress at Laguna. You’re crushing it!!

I love that track. But I can only get there once a year. (Didn’t get there this year at all.....blah.)

I met Melchior at High Plains a few months ago. Nice dude. We talked about the racing you guys do. Very cool stuff!

Looking forward hearing how you dig Sonoma and Thunderhill!
I can’t wait to get back to Sonoma - went there once in 2014 for NASA Championships but haven’t been back. Hopefully get up there soon before the rain hits.

I want to hit thunderhill and buttonwillow again! I’ve only had 1 day at each and I’m ready to get back for some more. Speed District has a Friday at buttonwillow in early Dec but I don’t think I’ll be back from an international trip in time for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #1970
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can’t wait to get back to Sonoma - went there once in 2014 for NASA Championships but haven’t been back. Hopefully get up there soon before the rain hits.

I want to hit thunderhill and buttonwillow again! I’ve only had 1 day at each and I’m ready to get back for some more. Speed District has a Friday at buttonwillow in early Dec but I don’t think I’ll be back from an international trip in time for that.
There's a private open-track day at Thunderhill West December 9th, but it's point by only. (on the positive side, it's open track, 25 cars max, if there's traffic we can just wait till later in the day)

There's also SpeedSF Thunderhill East in December, 15-16th I think.

Let me know if you want me to PM you details on the December 9th day! Would be cool to see you out there!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #1971
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's a private open-track day at Thunderhill West December 9th, but it's point by only. (on the positive side, it's open track, 25 cars max, if there's traffic we can just wait till later in the day)

Let me know if you want me to PM you details on the December 9th day! Would be cool to see you out there!
I don’t think I can make the 9th, too much going on at work. But I’m planning to head to buttonwillow tomorrow and then Sunday the 15th with speedsf at east bypass. Looking forward to running bypass and see what kind of times I can turn there! Any chance I’ll see you there?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #1972
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don’t think I can make the 9th, too much going on at work. But I’m planning to head to buttonwillow tomorrow and then Sunday the 15th with speedsf at east bypass. Looking forward to running bypass and see what kind of times I can turn there! Any chance I’ll see you there?
Planning on making it there for the 14th and 15th! I had some time off from track days lately, looking to break under 2:00 bypass if I can! My PB so far is 2:00.06, sooo close! I bet you'll be faster
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #1973
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Planning on making it there for the 14th and 15th! I had some time off from track days lately, looking to break under 2:00 bypass if I can! My PB so far is 2:00.06, sooo close! I bet you'll be faster
Heck yeah! Looking forward to it. I’m hoping I can run in the 1:57s or better, but that might be optimistic. TT3 record is a 1:52.6, so ideally I’d get within a couple seconds of that with the car setup the way it is now. I don’t think I have enough seat time there yet to really push it to that level.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      12-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #1974
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

fsmtnbiker Sounds good, I'm registered for OP2 run group + SpeedSF challenge both on the 14th and 15th. Looking forward to it! I think it'll be easy so spot you.. mine is a white E92 M3 with trackspec hood vents and GTS wing + Apex wheels visually. See you there!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #1975
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Eagles Canyon Raceway new 2.75mi course CCW - 2:13.79 (Harry's LapTimer data* lap #2 in this video)
KW Clubsports - this track seems to like stiffer rear, soft front
285 square Bridgestone RE71's on 18x10 Apex wheels
Stock brakes with cobalt friction pads
Gintani tuned

Surface on the back half of the course is brand new with this being maybe the third weekend they've used it. So its still very green and most rumbles back there are super slick and really unusable still. The 1.65 front "roller coaster" side has been driven on quite a bit at this point.
Have a lot more time on the table out here but killed off my brake pads in the session after this one so maybe next time! (and time for some brake cooling)
dbyrd has videos posted on his Youtube of 2:08 laps on BFG R1's & similarly setup car.

Track is fast, will be faster with more rubber down. My friends in basically stock Z06's with cooling mods on Pirelli DH scrubs were running pretty consistent 2:02's

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads

Last edited by Kelse92; 12-09-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #1976
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Eagles Canyon Raceway new 2.75mi course CCW - 2:13.79 (Harry's LapTimer data* lap #2 in this video)
That track looks fantastic! Super flowing and fun, with some good elevation change to go with it. Nice lap!! Once you have some more confidence-inspiring brakes, work on easing off the pedal and blending your turn-in with the release of the brakes. It will help the car to rotate on the way in, as well as getting you to the apex with more speed. It is very hard to practice that when the brake pedal/steering wheel is shaking like crazy.
      12-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #1977
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That track looks fantastic! Super flowing and fun, with some good elevation change to go with it. Nice lap!! Once you have some more confidence-inspiring brakes, work on easing off the pedal and blending your turn-in with the release of the brakes. It will help the car to rotate on the way in, as well as getting you to the apex with more speed. It is very hard to practice that when the brake pedal/steering wheel is shaking like crazy.
Thanks! It's incredibly fun, I can't wait to get back out there following the new year. I've got quite a few little things to sort out on the car over the next couple months and the brakes are on the list... oddly enough the rotors were new in June so I really gotta figure that one out.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #1978
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Track: Thunderhill CCW 3.0mi Bypass
Best lap time: 1:55.55 (transponder and traqmate)

Tires: 295/30-18 Nankang AR1s on ARC8 18x10.5 Front/Rear
Weight: 3550 lbs w/ driver

Really fun day out with SpeedSF. Hung out with kpewpew for most of the day - he also set a new PB! Really liked running the bypass config. This is the first time I've run it, second time on the east course. Couldn't have asked for better weather, no wind, 50F, and sunny. Gonna be tough to match the times we ran today! My car was really feeling good.

This lap was during the SpeedSF Challenge, which was awesome because I actually got to run some open laps with just a couple McLarens out in front to act as rabbits. I could get them through the slower stuff and the corners but my little NA V8 is no match in the straights. I ended up resetting the S2 class record on this lap by just under a second - not bad for the first time out!

Watch for the ultra-code-brown moment at the end of the lap. One of the cars blew a motor and gathered up the car behind him after because of the slick. I got really lucky to avoid becoming a part of it. Sorry for the terrible audio - I like this camera angle since you get to see a bit more excitement, but I'll have to get a different camera with an external audio input if I keep using that spot.

Video:

Bartledoo2691.50
_paolo189.50
beats225.00
Davisca4552207.50
      12-16-2019, 01:49 AM   #1979
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Same track day, different car!

Track: Thunderhill CCW 3.0mi Bypass
Best lap time: 1:59.29 (transponder and waylens 10Hz GPS)

Suspension: JRZ RS One + Hyperco 550/800 springs, Dinan front sway bar
Brakes: Rotora 380mm/355mm BBK, PMU 999 pads
Mods: Rogue Engineering resonated test pipes, ESS tune, replica GTS wing, Recaro Pole Position driver seat
Tires: 275/35/18 NT01 on Apex EC-7 18x10
Weight: Not sure, no major weight reduction done. Full fat car.

Haven't been on track since August. Lots of time left on the table and had to remember how to drive. Super happy to go below 2 minutes still. I got a LOT of actionable feedback from my friends on how to improve at almost every turn, so I hope to keep slicing off more time with a relatively static setup. Just tire and durability changes in the future. (285 square + minor items)

Last edited by kyippee; 12-16-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
_paolo189.50
      12-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #1980
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really fun day out with SpeedSF. Hung out with kpewpew for most of the day - he also set a new PB! Really liked running the bypass config. This is the first time I've run it, second time on the east course. Couldn't have asked for better weather, no wind, 50F, and sunny. Gonna be tough to match the times we ran today! My car was really feeling good.

This lap was during the SpeedSF Challenge, which was awesome because I actually got to run some open laps with just a couple McLarens out in front to act as rabbits. I could get them through the slower stuff and the corners but my little NA V8 is no match in the straights. I ended up resetting the S2 class record on this lap by just under a second - not bad for the first time out!

Watch for the ultra-code-brown moment at the end of the lap. One of the cars blew a motor and gathered up the car behind him after because of the slick. I got really lucky to avoid becoming a part of it. Sorry for the terrible audio - I like this camera angle since you get to see a bit more excitement, but I'll have to get a different camera with an external audio input if I keep using that spot.
New camera angle looks great! How did you mount it? GoPro’s with cheap lapel microphones mounted to the trunk seem to be the popular audio choice, would recommend going that route.
And yikes at the end!! That was an awesome and very lucky save!

Appreciate 0