BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

I have 10mm spacers on both the front and the rear. If you want ultra aggressive, everything matters: camber, tire size, specific tire sidewall profile. It will require some trial and error. Here's a photo.

2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #24
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I updated the 2nd post to include that. Measured from the lower lips of the ARC 8 wheels to the fender lips I get 23" in the front and 22.25" in the rear. I left the front a bit higher than I could have gone so that the splitter doesn't get destroyed daily driving. Otherwise the front would be lower.
Thank you. So that would make it from the fender to the ground almost 26" in the front and 25.25" at the rear, I've been paying attention to ride height, rake, etc on track cars with aero stuff, to see if there is a sweet spot to speak of. I'm at 25" on all corners but will be dropping all corners by .5" before my next event.
      06-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #25
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
I'm going to run the DCT as-is for a season and see how it goes. If it needs help I'll go to the Do88 as you guys have mentioned and likely machine a pan.
Yay pix!

I will be very curious to hear your DCT experience. With that suspension, those tires and those brakes, some aero and prior track experience, you will find yourself in some high-G situations. I will be interested to hear if you have shifting issues. On my end, the Slon-Workshop DCT pan has worked well on the 3 days I've used it so far. No shifting issues since it went on.

Wait....when you say "machine a pan".....can you make this stuff yourself??

I'm glad to see that you have a nitrogen rig for the suspension. I can't see the front-end of it. Do you have a regular ball chuck valve on there? If so, I would recommend getting a few pieces for the nitrogen rig so you can really measure your nitrogen pressures and know EXACTLY what you're putting in there. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can walk you through the pieces I put together.

What spring rates did you go with on the MCS?

Anyway, congrats on the build. You got some quality parts on there that should treat you very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
I'm going to run the DCT as-is for a season and see how it goes. If it needs help I'll go to the Do88 as you guys have mentioned and likely machine a pan.
Yay pix!

I will be very curious to hear your DCT experience. With that suspension, those tires and those brakes, some aero and prior track experience, you will find yourself in some high-G situations. I will be interested to hear if you have shifting issues. On my end, the Slon-Workshop DCT pan has worked well on the 3 days I've used it so far. No shifting issues since it went on.

Wait....when you say "machine a pan".....can you make this stuff yourself??

I'm glad to see that you have a nitrogen rig for the suspension. I can't see the front-end of it. Do you have a regular ball chuck valve on there? If so, I would recommend getting a few pieces for the nitrogen rig so you can really measure your nitrogen pressures and know EXACTLY what you're putting in there. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can walk you through the pieces I put together.

What spring rates did you go with on the MCS?

Anyway, congrats on the build. You got some quality parts on there that should treat you very well.
This is my setup but when I disconnect from the canister I feel like I might be loosing some pressure is there a better fitting for the canister.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #26
jid2
Private First Class
Rep

That's the same adapter and gauge I have. Thread it down tight on the stem of the can and it won't leak pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

That wing must grab some attention during your everyday commute lol

Great weekend warrior build!
      06-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #28
TRUE2THEBLUE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I'm not sure that is a good idea. 2nd track day the splitter started to crack and break from load. Front straight and turn 1 at Pacific Raceways is around 150 MPH. Might have to get the Bimmerworld splitter at some point.

Boo.

thanks for the warning. I wonder if the ebay frp lip is more durable.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #29
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I updated the 2nd post with details on the setup, 600/900lb are the rates.

I've got a shock charging adapter with a gauge to fill them, I kind of use that along with the pressure regulator to get the pressure correct.

During my hiatas from track time, I taught myself to be a machinist and went through a whole transformation of basic machining capability to a legit CNC machine shop in my garage. I'm an engineer, and have really gotten into designing and build my own stuff. So a DCT pan seems like a good project at some point. Along with some billet jack points.
That's awesome that you can dig in and make this stuff yourself. I've never heard of anyone doing CNC in a home setup.

I see you're doing 175 psi on the nitrogen for the MCS. If you say you're feeling more weight transfer than you'd like, something that I might experiment with is going up in nitrogen pressure since you have a rig. I run mine at 300 psi (on my JRZ remote canisters). It resists leaning a bit better, and you don't get the potential negative side effects of stiffening the sway bar. With remote reservoirs, I feel that you can run higher nitrogen because there's more oil and a long oil line so it still retains a nice smoothness. It's like upping the spring rate in small amounts. The nice part of having the nitrogen rig is, if you don't like the results, it's easy to revert back.

I'm back on stock motor mounts too. Being supercharged, I seem to kill whatever mounts go in there. Plus, in my experience, the OEM ones fail by ripping, but at least the bolts hang on. On the stiffer ones, the bolts snap and then it's yucky......I had to replace an engine mounting bracket after BOTH bolts snapped on a polyurethane mount.....

I drove with MDM for 4 years without aero. In my experience, when I added aero and MDM was turned off---going over 70 mph---the aero feels like traction control, meaning the rear of the car never comes around because the wing does such a good job of planting the rear, and overall the car just sticks with aero (again, at speed). Plus you have some of the grippiest tires available. Of course, at slower speeds, aero does nothing and you need to understand the handling dynamics, but with generally stock power, the car is not super torquey, so it's manageable with modest practice---skid pads, autocross, etc.

Just take your time with DSC-off. People love to belly-ache about it. People gave me so much shit about it. Just ignore them and do what makes you comfortable. When other people start making your car payments for you, then they can have a say about your traction control status.

Have fun!
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

wow, i'm glad the pics are working now. hell of a build! keep it up!
      06-03-2018, 01:27 AM   #31
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Great build!
Does the tow hook really cost $150??
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #32
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Very nice build! Do you mind sharing your source for the scrubs? Try running them at 32 hot - you'll have to start with 22ish cold.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #33
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

you sir are goals. I will be tracking my e90 again when I move to texas. Looking to get as much time as I can at circuit of the Americas.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #34
jid2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Great build!
Does the tow hook really cost $150??
Yeah, it's beautiful and I really like the company/brand - so I was happy to support them. Family business run by a father and son, started in their garage.
2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 1
aus887.50
      06-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #35
jid2
Private First Class
Rep

OK, so here are my open items and thoughts for whats next besides more track days.

- Gonna try lower pressure on the Pirellis.

- At some point I'll try some shock pressure adjustments and other tweaks just to see the response.

- I'm struggling with the exhaust dilemma. The car is super quiet on track, I don't hear much in the cabin really, it's mostly intake. But the stock setup is so nice for commuting, and the neighbors prefer it. I got a text message from the neighbors the first day I installed the Bimmerworld exhaust. I might try an ESS high flow cat and resonated X pipe. I'm not ready to be swapping exhaust for track days, brake pads is enough.

- As much as I enjoy the stock seat for daily driving and I'm impressed with it's track support, it disconnects you from the car. I'm thinking about getting a fixed back race seat on a dedicated fixed mount that I swap into the car just for track days. With the stock passenger seat I should still be able to load the back seat with tires.

- Still waiting for the Solo II DL to be available so I can have some datas!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #36
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
OK, so here are my open items and thoughts for whats next besides more track day

- I'm struggling with the exhaust dilemma. The car is super quiet on track, I don't hear much in the cabin really, it's mostly intake. But the stock setup is so nice for commuting, and the neighbors prefer it. I got a text message from the neighbors the first day I installed the Bimmerworld exhaust. I might try an ESS high flow cat and resonated X pipe. I'm not ready to be swapping exhaust for track days, brake pads is enough.
Have you considered electric cutouts? I had them on my car until this past Friday with great results, plenty of room for them, one small remote to actuate them.
      06-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #37
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

This is just awesome

Many, many thanks for putting all this info together. I'm currently in dual purpose mode with my E90, so this is a fantastic amount of info.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #38
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
OK, so here are my open items and thoughts for whats next besides more track days.

- Gonna try lower pressure on the Pirellis.

- At some point I'll try some shock pressure adjustments and other tweaks just to see the response.

- As much as I enjoy the stock seat for daily driving and I'm impressed with it's track support, it disconnects you from the car. I'm thinking about getting a fixed back race seat on a dedicated fixed mount that I swap into the car just for track days. With the stock passenger seat I should still be able to load the back seat with tires.

- Still waiting for the Solo II DL to be available so I can have some datas!
What about the BMW MPE for an exhaust? I'm thinking of switching to that for something that'll pass sound at Laguna but still sound fun. Currently running Bimmerworld's street exhaust (discontinued) which passed before, but not sure about it anymore. They re-calibrated the sound station and some people who used to pass don't pass anymore.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #39
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Nice build and very understanding Ministress of Finance!

Curious as to why the low torque rear brake pads? Why not run something with a higher torque than the fronts since you have a huge front kit and stock rear kit? Totally jealous of your front kit, btw.

My only other comment is to please get a cart with a tank cage that will protect the regulator on that N2 tank so there isn't a random missile shooting around your garage or the paddock. You're an engineer. Do the calcs of the stored energy.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #40
jid2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Curious as to why the low torque rear brake pads? Why not run something with a higher torque than the fronts since you have a huge front kit and stock rear kit? Totally jealous of your front kit, btw.
I've tried high torque race pads in the rear before, and they are really hard to get up to temperature. You can certainly dial it in on a race car with balance control but in my experience really strong pads in the rear just squeak for half a session trying to get up to temperature. I've had good luck with this same combo of before - so it's where I'm starting here.

On the exhaust I'd love to try some stuff - it's just an expensive set of experiments. On my list are Corsa, Dinan, and MPE. All of these have some sort of drone control via a helmholtz chamber. I'd like to unlock a little more power with the move to high flow cats in the X pipe as well. But that's likely a project for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #41
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
From the thread title I thought I was going to find something like mine that's basically stock with alignment, brakes and tire upgrades...but this is something incredible! Must be a blast to daily a pretty stout race car.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #42
jid2
Private First Class
Rep

If anything the daily driving feels pretty wasteful. My commute is a grind and the car is just stuck in stop and go traffic. There is nothing fun about it. Both the performance of the car in general and the race parts kind of die a slow death doing the commute. I'd much rather be doing the commute in something like the Mazda 3 I had before. But if I only get one car in the driveway I'll deal with what feels like the waste in commuting to get to have fun on the track. Outside of feeling like I'm wasting the performance of the car commuting it is a really nice and refined car to be in. So that's enjoyable and it's got all the creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #43
Chuck's M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: with driving gloves...

Not a bad build. Hope to see you around locally some time.

I have a fairly similar (more subtle depending on how you look at it) setup that I claim daily driver duty!
Name:  8D04F10D-F03D-4A98-8021-1E29FEC87748.jpeg
Views: 880
Size:  248.2 KB
Build here (minus 2018 updates): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337090

Extra daily driver points:
Removing some interior allows for transporting more cargo... Such as 8x19" wheels/tires!
Name:  85E13E39-6A93-4D8E-9944-C75DA7213495.jpeg
Views: 819
Size:  230.5 KB

Front aero doubles as mini-snow plow for the neighborhood. APR front splitter is much stronger than expected!
Name:  858227EC-594F-434E-8F04-AC7C48373ADD.jpeg
Views: 815
Size:  202.7 KB

And lastly... uhh the exhaust simply double as a morning alarm clock for the neighbors?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:17 AM   #44
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Wow, fantastic build. I've kinda gone nuts with stripping out my E92 and solid mounting everything ... but I still drive it on occasion for commuting. The solid motor mounts definitely make you feel like the car is going to vibrate itself to death, especially when you rev it up through 4000 rpm.

I run the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, (not the GT4 x-pipe). It's quiet enough - passes 90 dB sound at Laguna with no issues.

I tend to like to run my Pirellis no more than 32 hot, start off at 24 PSI cold seems to do the trick. Pirelli has all sorts of warnings about under-pressurizing the tires so I'm leery of dropping too far below 25 at first session.

Pirelli DHs are amazing. Best tire ever.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0