BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
fe3
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I just installed my 84 21 2 151 043 iPhone 3G cradle. The parts guys ordered an eject box for me as well, but I already had it.

It works as expected. The iPhone snaps in just right. I also have an iPod plugged in via the Y-cable (6FL). When both are plugged in, the device in "External Devices" is the iPod, not the iPhone. The iPhone's phone functions work fine. When I unplug the iPod, the external device switches to the iPhone.

All of this has been reported in bits in other threads, but I thought it would be good to wrap up my experience. Hope this helps someone down the line.
      02-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe3 View Post
The parts guys ordered an eject box for me as well, but I already had it.
Do you know if it was a 6NF specific eject box, or the old pre-6NF one?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
fe3
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Do you know if it was a 6NF specific eject box, or the old pre-6NF one?
I don't know for certain, other than my M3 specifically came with both the 6NF and 6FL options. So, I assume it was the specific 6NF eject box.
      02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
M3Ron
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Sedan-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
Based upon all the posts above, and rising concern on my part, I went to the dealer yesterday to get some answers.

It's obvious that the dealers are trying to figure out the integration system as well, but my CA was very helpful.

Yesterday, I went to the dealer with my iPhone 3G to figure this all out. They did not have a 3G cradle, but we sat in an '09 (335 actually) with smartphone integration. I plugged in the 3G through the Y-cord (6FL) and sync'ed the bluetooth. Well, the phone appeared to have FULL functionality. My contacts uploaded to the iDrive, I could call out and received calls through the car, flawlessly. I was even able to set one of the radio preset buttons to "one-touch" call my home phone. Worked fine. As far as music, that worked just fine, too. Shows under external device, showed all music, artists, playlists, etc. It charged and had a good signal as well.

So, I'm wondering, while the cradle may look cleaner under the armrest, than hooking to the Y-cord, why is it a necessity? Comments appreciated, please! Want to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

Not sure if I've simplified or complicated the matter...

ColoCane - Can you confirm that 6FL charges the iPhone 3G (same phone I have)? I assume it does.

Also, where does everyone keep their phones when plugged into the 6FL. Does it rattle around in the armrest or is the cord long enough to put the phone on the seat or somewhere else. This whole 6FL vs. Smartphone integration is really getting confusing but thanks a million for going to the dealership to clear up a lot of the issues!
      02-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #27
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Ron View Post
ColoCane - Can you confirm that 6FL charges the iPhone 3G (same phone I have)? I assume it does.

Also, where does everyone keep their phones when plugged into the 6FL. Does it rattle around in the armrest or is the cord long enough to put the phone on the seat or somewhere else. This whole 6FL vs. Smartphone integration is really getting confusing but thanks a million for going to the dealership to clear up a lot of the issues!
The 6FL (Y Cable) does simultaneously charge the iPhone 3G. I also have that phone
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Ron View Post

Yup, 6FL (Y-Cable) sure did charge the 3G.

The cord is only maybe 6", no long enough to go outside the armrest. Not sure I'd want to though.

I agree with you on the confusing part... I'm clear now, thanks to the gents on this thread. But I still struggle for a $175 cradle just for looks (the reception I had with the Y-Cable was full signal strength. Maybe because I'm in a metro area). I will probably get the cradle, for looks, being clean, but hard to really justify.

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #29
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

I finally got my cradle and at first it refused to work. I got the warning message which I ignored, but when I went to external devices, it said none were there. It turned out that just having the iPod cable plugged in with no iPod was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected the cable, the iPhone showed up on the screen. Everything works as promised. I like it. It does make my iPod obsolete already. I still want to test out the "extra" reception from the car's antennas. I'm really wondering if it relly makes a difference. I've called friends and asked them how I sounded on the car's mic and speakers without the cradle and it was fine. I do have a friend out in the country I need to see...my iPhone's signal is zero, so I'll test it there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, JIO. Keep us posted on how your "test" goes, please. I keep going back and forth on whether to get the cradle or not.

Thanks.

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #31
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I finally got my cradle and at first it refused to work. I got the warning message which I ignored, but when I went to external devices, it said none were there. It turned out that just having the iPod cable plugged in with no iPod was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected the cable, the iPhone showed up on the screen. Everything works as promised. I like it. It does make my iPod obsolete already. I still want to test out the "extra" reception from the car's antennas. I'm really wondering if it relly makes a difference. I've called friends and asked them how I sounded on the car's mic and speakers without the cradle and it was fine. I do have a friend out in the country I need to see...my iPhone's signal is zero, so I'll test it there.
Nice. Let us know about the reception. I got a bad cradle from the dealership apparently so I had to order a new one
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #32
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

So if you get the smartphone integration and the cradle then it looks like you do not need the ipod/USB adapter option unless you want to have the ability to connect an additional ipod in conjunction with your iPhone. Am I following all this correctly? It would be nice to save the $400 on the iPod/USB adapter.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #33
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
So if you get the smartphone integration and the cradle then it looks like you do not need the ipod/USB adapter option unless you want to have the ability to connect an additional ipod in conjunction with your iPhone. Am I following all this correctly? It would be nice to save the $400 on the iPod/USB adapter.
6FL is required to have 6NF.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #34
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

For those that have 2G iPhones... do you get static w/ the smartphone integration? I have it connected and I can play my music through idrive, but it says that the device was not compatible (I get that from time to time w/ the 2G, I chose not to turn off the phone) and I'm getting static from time to time when listening to music. At home, I can avoid this static by putting tin foil behind the phone on a docking station, but would like to leave the tin foil at home. Haha. Anyone with static? I was hoping that the docking station would somehow eliminate that.
      03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #35
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
6FL is required to have 6NF.
Technic, you are always a wealth of knowledge, but are you sure? Why do you need 6FL (Y-cable) for 6NF (Smartphone integration)? The iPhone does have full functionality through the Y-Cable, while the Smartphone integration (with requisite cradle) offers greater signal strength when needed through the shark fin. The only thing I can think you may be referring to is if you do not buy the 3G cradle then yes, you'd have to get the Y-Cable for connection of 3G.

I was going to say AMPowerJ is correct, if you have music on your 3G, obviously, then you don't need the Y-Cable unless you want to use another device, i.e.; an ipod with different music.

Would you please confirm/clarify? Thanks...

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
Technic, you are always a wealth of knowledge, but are you sure? Why do you need 6FL (Y-cable) for 6NF (Smartphone integration)? The iPhone does have full functionality through the Y-Cable, while the Smartphone integration (with requisite cradle) offers greater signal strength when needed through the shark fin. The only thing I can think you may be referring to is if you do not buy the 3G cradle then yes, you'd have to get the Y-Cable for connection of 3G.

I was going to say AMPowerJ is correct, if you have music on your 3G, obviously, then you don't need the Y-Cable unless you want to use another device, i.e.; an ipod with different music.

Would you please confirm/clarify? Thanks...
6FL is not the iPod cable, it is the USB module (MULF-Hi) option itself. And you need the USB module to have the 6NF option to route music from the iPhone to the sound system; without the USB module there's no way to route music, as the wires and the electronics will not be there. The 6NF only adds to the 6FL module a priority switching feature, so whatever is connected to the USB port takes priority in music routing to the sound system.

Which makes sense as you could have an iPhone for charging and antenna connection in the cradle and an USB stick for music plugged in at the same time in the USB port. No need for the iPod cable at all...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #37
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah, makes sense. Thanks, Technic.

Like I said, wealth of knowledge...

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #38
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

So I have had the 3g snap in adapter on order with an online company for about a month. I called my CA today and he said no problem and it will cost you $175. I call the parts department and they say it is available for $287! I say I thought it was $175, they put me on hold and then say they can make that the price. I then ask about the BMWCCA discount and they say no problem, $145. Almost half of where I started. They said it should be in on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #39
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
I have my adapter, too. Came in the other day at the same time as my car ironically. Works great.
      03-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #40
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Do you guys find it hard and time consuming to snap ur phone in and out all the time? Or is it fairly easy?
      03-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijkl727 View Post
...the village is famous for the rape wow gold flowers...
Wow indeed! Those must be the result of some Chinese genetic engineering experiment gone awry. What an unfortunate thing to be famous for. I hope the locals are finally able to exterminate them this year. But even if not, I'm sure they'll take comfort in knowing that you are spreading the word to 3 series owners everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #42
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

Hmmm.. no Blackberry Curve cradle?

A
2010 Honda Civic LX
Appreciate 0