BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

08-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Comparison of M3 and 335i

As previously posted, I bought a Melb Red M3 in May and was not happy with the colour, so I did a deal to take it back and get an Alpine White one. The deal involved a timing issue though, as the AW one does not arrive until mid-Sept, but they wanted the MR one as of last Saturday, so they offered me a loan car in the interim. To my surprise, I was given a 335i loan car - I expected a lot worse (like an E36 3 series). So this is what I am driving for the next month or so.

So since last Saturday, I have been driving around in the 335i and it has been a good opportunity to compare it in detail with the M3.

I can sum it up by saying that the extra $80K or so for an M3 is absolutely worth every cent. The two cars may look similar to a non-BMW person and on paper the performance stats may not differ too much, but believe me, the differences are extremely obvious.

For a start, the build quality is so much better on the M3. It may be the fact that the 335i is a loaner but it has a lot of rattles and just feels "loose". The 335i has done 2000km and was built in May 09 so it can't be put down to age or mileage - but it is normally used as a demo car by the dealership.

The steering on the M3 is so much more responsive and sharp - the 335i has a lot of torque steer , feels heavy even at speed, and is not as precise.

The power on the 335i is good - it has a great take off and throttle response it quite sharp, but unlike the M3, it seems to run out of puff early on (at around 3500rpm). In other words, the 335i seems much less linear in its power delivery - this is typical of turbo cars though, something I have had a bit of experience with, as my previous rides were STi's, Golf GTi's and Evo's.

The handling and cornering of the 335i is also only average - good, but just doesn't have the feel of the M3. The cornering feels sloppier, has noticeable body roll and seems to understeer at times quite a lot.

The overall experience so far of the 335i is that it's not that much better as an overall experience than the series 5 Golf GTi I used to drive. The exhaust note is cheap and hollow sounding, which I thought was quite poor for a $100K plus car with what is supposed to be a superb engine.

I'm SOOOO glad I spent the extra $$ to get the M3.....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
fontana302
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E90 M3

You want to compare M3 vs 135i. I have them both & reckon the 135i Coupe is the best value for money car around. With JB3 it outruns M3, stops great & handles well.

M3 is weekend car, 135i work car. Interseting what you say about the turbo motor, I haven't seen my 135i run out off puff until 7000 rpm, it pulls like a freight train from low revs all the way through, torque is much better, when it changes gear it just keeps hauling. You might find the sound of the M3 reving confuses the mind sometimes. It's much easier to lose your licence in the 135i. I see no difference in build quality between the two of these, nor with my wifes 125i conv.

M3 has great kudos though & makes one feel good to drive, sounds great at 8000+ rpm can't beat that. You can be lazy in the M3, then hit the "Mad Button" to turn it in to a Jeckyl & Hyde car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I have always thought what it would be like to drive a 135i. I have always admired the car and like to own one. But can't justify having both - ///3 and the 135. I have a daily drive - E28 528i manual. Gets me from A to B and can park without worrying as it where it's parked.

fontana302: enjoy your stable ... sounds like you have the toys to enjoy. Good luck and happy motoring!
      08-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I've owned both M3 and 135i at the same time. I let the 135i go a few weeks ago as it was getting a bit squeezy in the garage with 3 cars (the wife has an X5). To be truthful, once I got the M3 I hardly ever drove the 135i but when I did it brought a smile to my face. It had the SSTT chip and the low down torque really launched the 135i into hyperspace. The decision to go from 2 doors to 4 doors was also driven by the fact I have three kids and do the school runs.

The M3 and 135i are like chalk and cheese IMHO. Build quality on the M3 is better and is a better package overall.

I love both cars but if I had to pick one to live with for the next 5 years, the M3 wins!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontana302 View Post
You want to compare M3 vs 135i. I have them both & reckon the 135i Coupe is the best value for money car around. With JB3 it outruns M3, stops great & handles well.

M3 is weekend car, 135i work car. Interseting what you say about the turbo motor, I haven't seen my 135i run out off puff until 7000 rpm, it pulls like a freight train from low revs all the way through, torque is much better, when it changes gear it just keeps hauling. You might find the sound of the M3 reving confuses the mind sometimes. It's much easier to lose your licence in the 135i. I see no difference in build quality between the two of these, nor with my wifes 125i conv.

M3 has great kudos though & makes one feel good to drive, sounds great at 8000+ rpm can't beat that. You can be lazy in the M3, then hit the "Mad Button" to turn it in to a Jeckyl & Hyde car.
Welcome to the forum Fontana - Nice to meet another Brisbanite! You have quite the collection!

Are you interested in joining in on a drive day or two?

Cheers,
ZenderM3
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I have both cars too.... the M for 18 months and the 135i for 12 months. Anyways, the 1 is the shopping car with kick and no noise, the M is what it is.... a sometimes sedate limo then a screaming monster with alot of street cred.

Comparisons, build/equipment?? well you get what you pay, Nappa/Individual Audio, auto everything and they are all standard. Where as in the 1 well start ticking the boxes (+++$). Suspension, - no comparisoms.

I am looking now for a replacement car... which one is going? the 1!

I guess I may look at this a little different than others, I have wanted an M since the E30 so it ain't goin nowhere. The 1 on the other hand will probably make way for a TTS/MkVI GTI/R20 (golf).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
M3E92Junkie
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

My turn I guess. I have the current Mini Cooper S and the ///M.

Same scenario with the rest I suppose. The Cooper is the shopping car and my partner uses it to zip around the city. It's also a lot easier to park and we need not worry too much about the location of the parking spots.

The ///Ms performance and build quality speak for itself but the Cooper still excites especially when you hit the Sport button. A totally different driving experience also because of its go-kart handling and front wheel drive.

We won't be changing our cars anytime soon but I am considering something on 2 wheels as a weekend toy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3E92Junkie View Post
My turn I guess. I have the current Mini Cooper S and the ///M.

Same scenario with the rest I suppose. The Cooper is the shopping car and my partner uses it to zip around the city. It's also a lot easier to park and we need not worry too much about the location of the parking spots.

The ///Ms performance and build quality speak for itself but the Cooper still excites especially when you hit the Sport button. A totally different driving experience also because of its go-kart handling and front wheel drive.

We won't be changing our cars anytime soon but I am considering something on 2 wheels as a weekend toy.
Hey Junkie, this would make a good weekend toy or even a fun shopping car and quicker than a 335i........

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296984
Appreciate 0