BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

KW HAS install issue

Hi guys, I'm finally installing my KW HAS kit. I've taken it for a long drive and after settling here is the picture of how it sits with springs in lowest position.

Picture of installed setup while car is still off the ground.

What's weird is that there are two dimensions in the install instructions, first is 76mm for the sleeve which is not achievable as seen below where I measure 76mm, and show how far I'm able to get it on.

And another is 7", which it is dead on.

So, as per the instructions my sleeve is in the wrong place and the correct place at the same time, ok sure, moving on. I looked up a video on YouTube and their sleeve is exactly where mine is and they are able to close that gap.

What do you guys think? Seems installed correctly as per the video and one of the measurements but almost as high as stock springs.

TIA
Appreciate 1
ARPHOTO14.50
      07-19-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
ARPHOTO
Alpinweiß Herrenrasse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe, 2000 750il

Garage List
I have run into this same issue with my KW HAS kit on my Competition Package Coupe. I wonder, perhaps there are dimensional differences between EDC vs non-EDC struts? Perhaps the non-EDC struts allow the perches to slide further down to achieve the drop? The only other idea I could think of is that the car in the video is using a 35 profile tire--maybe something like a 255/35. Also that video setup has a far less aggressive offset than the 19x10ET20s our Forgestars run, and his camber is set fairly negative. Might be bringing the outer edge of that tire slightly higher into the wheel well. My perches reached the exact same height on your struts, my install looked exactly the same.

I'm in Oregon too by the way, greetings from Salem.

Edit: just realized EDC is in the title of that video. Perhaps there are different EDC shocks for standard and comp pack, since EDC was available as an option separately from the comp pack? Also I noticed you are running 265/30R19. I'm running 275/30R19 on the same 19x10 F14s, my gap isn't *quite* as apparent as yours. The 265/30s run pretty damn skinny.

Instagram | BMW CCA #503745

Last edited by ARPHOTO; 07-19-2019 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the reply. There must be something in the water here. KW only lists the one part number for E9x M3's. KW never replied to my email, FWIW. I did more searching and someone complained the car wasn't exactly level and someone else replied saying "one side got hammered more than the other, just adjust to your liking you'll be fine" or something to that effect.

I bought a press, it went in like butter to this point. If you're ever in Aloha and want to press yours in you're welcome to drop by.

Appreciate 1
ARPHOTO14.50
      07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
ARPHOTO
Alpinweiß Herrenrasse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMachines View Post
I appreciate the reply. There must be something in the water here. KW only lists the one part number for E9x M3's. KW never replied to my email, FWIW. I did more searching and someone complained the car wasn't exactly level and someone else replied saying "one side got hammered more than the other, just adjust to your liking you'll be fine" or something to that effect.

I bought a press, it went in like butter to this point. If you're ever in Aloha and want to press yours in you're welcome to drop by.
Oh wow so it was able to slide down the extra length required! How's your ride height looking now? I might just take you up on your offer, as much as I'd hate having to remove the front struts again. Did it feel like the perch could be pressed even further down the strut, or was it a pretty definite stop?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

I've not driven it yet to see after settling but it's much better, exactly as expected. I tried to go more, it was a definite stop. I was 35 mins all in. Took longer to put the press together. I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
ARPHOTO
Alpinweiß Herrenrasse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMachines View Post
I've not driven it yet to see after settling but it's much better, exactly as expected. I tried to go more, it was a definite stop. I was 35 mins all in. Took longer to put the press together. I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow.
Right on, please do. Now that I know for sure my install isn't 100%, it's driving me nuts thinking how much better my car is gonna look that extra bit lower in the front.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

I'm on my phone. Sorry if large. It could go a little lower. I need to raise it a little.

Appreciate 2