BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #2201
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
No direct correlation has been shown between SC and rod bearing wear. Most cars that blow up never had one.
I am willing to bet that I have seen RB failures on SC engines ("or was supercharged at one point) more than complete stock engines. But you can believe whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #2202
ramo135
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ZCP Alpine White

Are the 2013 model years pretty much showing the same amount of failure as others? Just hit 20k miles and these threads are convincing me to just get it over with and replace them
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #2203
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo135 View Post
Are the 2013 model years pretty much showing the same amount of failure as others? Just hit 20k miles and these threads are convincing me to just get it over with and replace them
Yes.
      06-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #2204
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo135 View Post
ONLY if they are the super rare Alpine White! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #2205
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
I understand the forum is not the world. But if there are 300+ failures documented (someone mentioned that?), we might still be able to have some statistical inference on the data. For example I'm curious if the failure is completely random (a flat failure rate curve, or other shape? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve )
If you want to make a date/failure rate curve , you can do it with the list on page 1 => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Open each link from the posted bearing failures and check the dates .
But your date/failure curve will never be accurate , because you/we have no information about the worldwide bearing failures .
Yours would be a Bimmerpost curve .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Adrian g.243.50
      06-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #2206
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
If you want to make a date/failure rate curve , you can do it with the list on page 1 => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Open each link from the posted bearing failures and check the dates .
But your date/failure curve will never be accurate , because you/we have no information about the worldwide bearing failures .
Yours would be a Bimmerpost curve .
Sure it won't be accurate to a tee, but this is statistically sampling, same as for e.g. polling before election. Is it 100% accurate? Obviously not. Is it completely useless? I don't think so. It's better than no info. As long as one is aware of its limitation, it still provide good info.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #2207
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Sure it won't be accurate to a tee, but this is statistically sampling, same as for e.g. polling before election. Is it 100% accurate? Obviously not. Is it completely useless? I don't think so. It's better than no info. As long as one is aware of its limitation, it still provide good info.
Not quite. You need random samples from the population of M3s or population of M3 RB failures, neither of which is currently possible for the general public to get. Polling is based on random samples of the us population.
      06-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #2208
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Not quite. You need random samples from the population of M3s or population of M3 RB failures, neither of which is currently possible for the general public to get. Polling is based on random samples of the us population.
Yes, I agree, there will be sampling bias. This is one of the caveats one would need to keep in mind when interpreting the number.

However, I don't think the geography bias (that it's mostly US data point) is particularly problematic unless you think somehow there is something special about m3 being shipped to the US, or there are some special conditions in the US that correlate to the failure.

A more likely bias is that the population hang out on the forum might be a population that drives their cars harder, take the car to track etc, compared to general public. Something along that line will be more like to skew failure rate/pattern. But, I am probably more like an average forum guy than the general public anyway... so to some degree, that bias makes the result more relevant to enthusiasts readers...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #2209
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I agree, there will be sampling bias. This is one of the caveats one would need to keep in mind when interpreting the number.

However, I don't think the geography bias (that it's mostly US data point) is particularly problematic unless you think somehow there is something special about m3 being shipped to the US, or there are some special conditions in the US that correlate to the failure.

A more likely bias is that the population hang out on the forum might be a population that drives their cars harder, take the car to track etc, compared to general public. Something along that line will be more like to skew failure rate/pattern. But, I am probably more like an average forum guy than the general public anyway... so to some degree, that bias makes the result more relevant to enthusiasts readers...
I have put in about 70 records into my spreadsheet so far, this is the histogram of failure mileage... Obviously part of it is driven by the fact that there are probably more cars at mileage round 45-60k mile... I need to adjust for that fact somehow if i want the plot to represent failure rate / probability... But it does feel like if a car managed to survive past 60k mile, the chance of a failure after 60k is lower than before 60k...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
L4ces337.00
      06-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #2210
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
I have put in about 70 records into my spreadsheet so far, this is the histogram of failure mileage... Obviously part of it is driven by the fact that there are probably more cars at mileage round 45-60k mile... I need to adjust for that fact somehow if i want the plot to represent failure rate / probability... But it does feel like if a car managed to survive past 60k mile, the chance of a failure after 60k is lower than before 60k...
There's more to the story than simply tallying up the frequency of failure at an indicated milage. And you're going to have a tough time with the limited data to generate any kind of stats that can be predictive. You would need to account for a few handfuls of variables (driving styles, maintenance, modifications, environmental, gas, etc) and then perform some kind of factor analysis of mixed data. I doubt anyone has the time or care to do a proper study here and the final stats are going to be crude and blunt at best.

My work involves performing statistical analysis to determine the susceptibility, or risk, that children have of developing a leukemia. You can think of RB failure as a complex disease of a car much like we think of leukemia. Like leukemia in kids, there are many risk factors that predispose the M3 to to this complex state. To save everyone a lecture on statistical power, (appropriate) statistical significance testing, relative risk ratio and odds ratio - if you lack a sufficient population sampling and are missing many critical variables that play into RB failure then your data can only be descriptive (not predictive and certainly not able to make any associations). We can only take what you showed (or will show) with a huge grain of salt. You def cannot say that when you hit a certain mileage that your risk suddenly drops - whether the risk is high or low for a particular car at mile 0, the risk only goes up with time/mileage (increased wear, aging parts, etc) save for cars that just sit on display. I think a more appropriate inference from your histogram is that although RB failure has the potential to occur at any mileage interval on your x axis, the frequency is highest in mid mileage cars and the reason for that is poorly understood. As these cars continue to live and die we will continue gathering data, and maybe at some point we could have enough to do a proper retrospective study.

I'm glad someone is putting the data into a figure though. Seeing a visual representation of the available data is certainly more compelling that just seeing the total number of events.

I'm sure there's a dissertation on this somewhere, and if not then soon lol (or maybe for another car).

Appreciate 3
CSBM52716.50
L4ces337.00
      06-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #2211
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
There's more to the story than simply tallying up the frequency of failure at an indicated milage. And you're going to have a tough time with the limited data to generate any kind of stats that can be predictive. You would need to account for a few handfuls of variables (driving styles, maintenance, modifications, environmental, gas, etc) and then perform some kind of factor analysis of mixed data. I doubt anyone has the time or care to do a proper study here and the final stats are going to be crude and blunt at best.

My work involves performing statistical analysis to determine the susceptibility, or risk, that children have of developing a leukemia. You can think of RB failure as a complex disease of a car much like we think of leukemia. Like leukemia in kids, there are many risk factors that predispose the M3 to to this complex state. To save everyone a lecture on statistical power, (appropriate) statistical significance testing, relative risk ratio and odds ratio - if you lack a sufficient population sampling and are missing many critical variables that play into RB failure then your data can only be descriptive (not predictive and certainly not able to make any associations). We can only take what you showed (or will show) with a huge grain of salt. You def cannot say that when you hit a certain mileage that your risk suddenly drops - whether the risk is high or low for a particular car at mile 0, the risk only goes up with time/mileage (increased wear, aging parts, etc) save for cars that just sit on display. I think a more appropriate inference from your histogram is that although RB failure has the potential to occur at any mileage interval on your x axis, the frequency is highest in mid mileage cars and the reason for that is poorly understood. As these cars continue to live and die we will continue gathering data, and maybe at some point we could have enough to do a proper retrospective study.

I'm glad someone is putting the data into a figure though. Seeing a visual representation of the available data is certainly more compelling that just seeing the total number of events.

I'm sure there's a dissertation on this somewhere, and if not then soon lol (or maybe for another car).

i'm well aware of the limitation of the attempt. even as i punched the data into the spreadsheet i realized the quality of the data is very spotty (lot of the reports consist of 1 liner that the engine has failed... it's going to be hard to have good consistent details of the incidents). it's just going to be a pet project of mine, which i think other people that are more numerically inclined like you and i are going to find interesting...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #2212
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

codinge90 for the list => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23399115

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      07-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #2213
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

New_m3 for the list => # 81 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1446659&page=4

Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      07-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #2214
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep

For codinge90, I saw a thread where he got a tune and then 2 months later after running on E85 car started acting up. Wonder how this factors in.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464063
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #2215
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep

Also, should we reference the videos in codinge90’s thread on the first page of this thread as good examples of ‘bad engine sounds’?

Also, cool pic of Ambiorix!
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #2216
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Also, cool pic of Ambiorix!
Thank you Sir !

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #2217
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

GSTE34 for the list => # 17 https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...4#post23443094

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #2218
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

replaced rod bearings had dipstick installed

Posted earlier in this thread about getting rod bearings replaced because i thought i was hearing ticking noise related to failing rod bearings. Fast forward couple months, had rod bearings replaced and also had the engine mounts replaced and oil dipstick installed. got the car back did the break in, didnt go over 3k rpm for 1000 miles and just did an oil change after about 1400 miles and found alot of aluminum shaving in the oil filter. i looked at the oil that came out of the engine and did not see any shavings in the oil. dumped couple quarts of cheap 5w30 and let it run through before refilling with fresh 10w60. The car also ran fine for the last 1400 miles except for a higher pitched metalic whine but no knocking. im hoping the whine is coming from the oil dipstick sitting against the heatshield or due to machtsnell air filter i installed around the same time. im guessing whoever drilled the hole in the oil pan for the dipstick bung forgot to clean the shavings out of the pan. I was pretty upset after seeing this and asked the shop to do an engine flush and then replace the oil with fresh oil again, however i dont trust the shop at this point since this is not the first time they screwed up. I was hoping if i do another oil change after a couple hundred miles that should flush anything else out. Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gt4428qeAjM6hTYA9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7AVrGAJAyY9swJUA6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YAUjXFMAWYAjuuEJ8
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #2219
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacket View Post
Posted earlier in this thread about getting rod bearings replaced because i thought i was hearing ticking noise related to failing rod bearings. Fast forward couple months, had rod bearings replaced and also had the engine mounts replaced and oil dipstick installed. got the car back did the break in, didnt go over 3k rpm for 1000 miles and just did an oil change after about 1400 miles and found alot of aluminum shaving in the oil filter. i looked at the oil that came out of the engine and did not see any shavings in the oil. dumped couple quarts of cheap 5w30 and let it run through before refilling with fresh 10w60. The car also ran fine for the last 1400 miles except for a higher pitched metalic whine but no knocking. im hoping the whine is coming from the oil dipstick sitting against the heatshield or due to machtsnell air filter i installed around the same time. im guessing whoever drilled the hole in the oil pan for the dipstick bung forgot to clean the shavings out of the pan. I was pretty upset after seeing this and asked the shop to do an engine flush and then replace the oil with fresh oil again, however i dont trust the shop at this point since this is not the first time they screwed up. I was hoping if i do another oil change after a couple hundred miles that should flush anything else out. Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gt4428qeAjM6hTYA9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7AVrGAJAyY9swJUA6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YAUjXFMAWYAjuuEJ8
Sorry to hear that happened after all of the ruminating on getting it done in the first place and now having to worry about damage caused by the debris from the oil pan. I wonder if that metal is softer and if so if it means the risk of damage is low.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #2220
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If the shop did the rod bearings, it would have had the pan off when drilling for the manual dipstick so there should be no shavings. If not drilled off the engine, then I can understand shavings getting in the pan. Many shops are not as careful as they should be, which is why I do my own work — most jobs require more care than skill and I care more about my car than most shops.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #2221
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Sorry to hear that happened after all of the ruminating on getting it done in the first place and now having to worry about damage caused by the debris from the oil pan. I wonder if that metal is softer and if so if it means the risk of damage is low.
Im hoping i dodged a bullet here. i didnt see any metal in the oil as far as i could tell. I started hearing a metallic fluter after i got the car back but it runs good. i bought an oem air filter to see if sound was due to after market air filter. i think im going to bring it back to the shop and ask them to drop the pan, clean pan, flush the system and replace with fresh oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #2222
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If the shop did the rod bearings, it would have had the pan off when drilling for the manual dipstick so there should be no shavings. If not drilled off the engine, then I can understand shavings getting in the pan. Many shops are not as careful as they should be, which is why I do my own work — most jobs require more care than skill and I care more about my car than most shops.
The shop drilled the pan while off the car. i have pictures they sent me of the job showing it being drilled off the car. I am not certain where the debris is from, however it is not magnetic, appears to be aluminum and with the amount of debris i found in the oil filter, if it were from the rod bearings or crank i think the engine would be ceased by now. I sent pictures to the the shop. I am waiting to hear back from them. i guess im not sure what the next best course of action should be to resolve this.
Appreciate 0