BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

02-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Tesla

I've had my M3 since '08 and was looking to switch to a slightly larger car. In a whim I test drove the Tesla it surprised me with how much I liked it. It obviously won't perform as well on the track but it seemed to be better for day-to-day use. I also have space in the garage now for a toy car. Thoughts anyone?
      02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Yep.I have a thoughts on these and how poor a choice they are for our Canadian winters and how range limited they are without charging.Something like a diesel A6 or 535 makes a lot more sense IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I'm seriously considering steering my father to the Tesla when his lease is up on the s550 4matic. 3 concerns I have are...

A) The range in winter (though he only drives about 40-50km/day)
B) Will he be able to handle a rear wheel in winter as opposed to 4wd that he's been used to... though I have a feeling the fact that weight is well spread out and lower to the ground on the Tesla will make it easier to drive than regular rwd cars
C) Resale value (is it possible to lease these at a reasonable interest rate)
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching View Post
I've had my M3 since '08 and was looking to switch to a slightly larger car. In a whim I test drove the Tesla it surprised me with how much I liked it. It obviously won't perform as well on the track but it seemed to be better for day-to-day use. I also have space in the garage now for a toy car. Thoughts anyone?
Man, the M3 is already too large for its own good. Do you have a big family? If not why do you need something larger? Besides, they're quite overpriced for what they are. How about a CTS-V? Bigger than the M3, but also just as fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yep.I have a thoughts on these and how poor a choice they are for our Canadian winters and how range limited they are without charging.Something like a diesel A6 or 535 makes a lot more sense IMO
I actually wondered about that. Given how temperamental batteries on regular cars get during long periods of deep freeze like this winter, do electric cars suffer the same? If so that would be even worse since you can't just boost it and start an engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Funny, the range on the Tesla is 480 km ideal (although I'm sure winter will be lower) and the car would be filled-up every time I leave in the morning. In comparison, I'm getting no more than 250 km a tank winter, city driving on the M.
      02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I'm seriously considering steering my father to the Tesla when his lease is up on the s550 4matic. 3 concerns I have are...

A) The range in winter (though he only drives about 40-50km/day)
B) Will he be able to handle a rear wheel in winter as opposed to 4wd that he's been used to... though I have a feeling the fact that weight is well spread out and lower to the ground on the Tesla will make it easier to drive than regular rwd cars
C) Resale value (is it possible to lease these at a reasonable interest rate)
A) Still researching range issue.

B) I drove the car at Blue Mountain, and the grip was surprising good because the car is heavy and the CoG is very low. It also had air suspension so you could raise the car in deeper snow. I felt the car was more stable than my M in snow, but I suspect your dad's car being a 4matic would be even better.

C) Have not spoken to a Lease company yet, but Tesla offers a floor price.
What is the Resale Value Guarantee?
Tesla’s Resale Value Guarantee allows owners to sell their Model S back to Tesla between the end of months 36 and 39, regardless of the loan’s term. The resale amount is specified at the time of delivery and is forecasted to be higher than any high volume premium sedan brand (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar or Lexus). This value is equal to 50% of the original base purchase price of the 60 kWh Model S plus 43% of the original purchase price for all of the options, including the upgrade to the 85 kWh battery pack (exclusive of taxes, fees, and accessories).
      02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Man, the M3 is already too large for its own good. Do you have a big family? If not why do you need something larger? Besides, they're quite overpriced for what they are. How about a CTS-V? Bigger than the M3, but also just as fast.
Don't find that there's a lot of room in the back once the car seats are installed. It's actually pretty tight in there and my kids are getting bigger, but not too large to get off those seats. I'm OK with a bigger car as my commuter vehicle. I can get something smaller, lighter and more focused for the summer.

Was actually looking at the cts-v sportwagen until I looked at the Tesla but fuel economy in the city disappoints, and it's pretty much at the end of the line no? I've assumed the new corvette tech will eventually make it over to the caddy.

Funny, the other guy with me at the tesla dealership was selling trading in his cts-v.
      02-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I actually wondered about that. Given how temperamental batteries on regular cars get during long periods of deep freeze like this winter, do electric cars suffer the same? If so that would be even worse since you can't just boost it and start an engine.
I'm still researching this. I've heard the Tesla is one of the best selling cars in Norway so the car is probably not a disaster in the winter, but I don't know if it's good enough for me.
      02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Funny, the range on the Tesla is 480 km ideal (although I'm sure winter will be lower) and the car would be filled-up every time I leave in the morning. In comparison, I'm getting no more than 250 km a tank winter, city driving on the M.
I ran into a guy at our dog park who has one and we talked about the range in particular and he told me about his trips to Windsor from Markham.In the summer he makes it with about 25 kms left at no more than 105 kph.The 2 winter trips that he has done he had to stop at London to get a charge for over an hour in order to make it to Windsor.
Tesla plans to have their "Supercharging" stations along the 401 sometime during 2015 which will make road trips easier but when you can get a full size sedan that gets over 40 mpg and can make this trip both ways on one tank of fuel with ease,the Tesla makes zero sense to me!

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
gq1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 BS F80 M4

Quote:
I had my E90 M3 since '08. Last January I decided I needed a larger car so I traded it in for a brand new 550ix. Last week I traded in the 550ix for a 335 M Performance. Next week I'm buying my wife a larger car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [9.50]
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 840CI  [9.50]
2011 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335i Conve ...  [8.40]
http://business.financialpost.com/20...oronto-garage/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Too much money for a electric car with only 3xx HP... Not interested.
      02-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

resale value would be a major concern. Who knows what the market will bear ? If lucky, you may be looking at the same depreciation factor as a ordinary gas powered car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #15
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
resale value would be a major concern. Who knows what the market will bear ? If lucky, you may be looking at the same depreciation factor as a ordinary gas powered car.
+1
Who knows if the battery life would play a big hit on the resell value. You know batteries have a certain xxxx amount of charge times.