BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
BlackPhoenix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 6MT VT2 625, JB/FR

What's up yall, hope this is in the right spot for this post.

My 2011 6MT E90 M3 is about to undergo some big upgrades, and I wanted to hear some of your experiences with any of these upgrades, mainly in terms of NVH/other issues. I recently got this car last December, after my 2011 VT650 E93 was totaled. So far it's undergone the following: Ohlins R/T, Dinan sway, AP Racing BBK, full aero/badges, Forgestar/295 PS4S, Corsa catback.

Here's what I have planned in a couple weeks:
Harrop SC, RKP(Challenge) Sport Xpipe, BayOptiks, Autosolutions SSK, solid subframe bushings, differential bushings, throttle actuators/other wear items.

Purpose: Car is currently my weekend/occ daily/roadtrip car and has not been to the track yet this year (will see COTA in November FTW). It will see more track time once I have work sorted out and finish my move. Goals are to keep extra NVH at a minimum, esp since it will be seeing a ton of roadtrips.

I'm pretty much settled on BW solid subframe bushings and Purple Powerflex bushings, with the thought of minimizing the diff whine that I read can happen at slow highway speeds (55-60mph). Def will need these to put down all that extra power. Not really interested in going to a much harder diff bushing, since this car will see regular roads as well. I'd prefer to hear the whine from the engine instead.

For those with AutoSSK and upgraded carrier and shifter bushings, what have you noticed in terms of gear noise/whine/vibration? Did you go with the stock bushings with the kit or elect for 80A, 95A upgrades? I got the OEM ones but considering the harder ones, likely 80A. Any annoying quirks like V/H in the stick shift? I'm electing for replacement of all the bushings here with OEM, but not sure since I'd like something more durable...

Sorry for the lengthy post, many thanks in advance for any advice!

And... the crappy iPhone teaser pic:
Attached Images

09-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I had those on my last DCT and it was my favorite upgrade. I will do it on this car eventually as well. The whine wasn't really noticeable especially if you have a louder exhaust. I am either ripping it or have music on so the whine was basically non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

as long as you don't do hard diff bushings you are fine with the rest of the mods
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
I have the SSK. You might feel a tiny bit more vibration in your hand but that's it.

Last edited by serranot; 09-19-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

im dct on solid subframe and purple diff, the whine only happens from 80km/h to 100km/h and it's a good type of whine i think you may actually enjoy it
i believe for a manual you can even go powerflex black and you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
as long as you don't do hard diff bushings you are fine with the rest of the mods
Agreed the hard diffy bushings add a ton of nvh.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      09-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Had to check my build sheet its been so long ago....

Powerflex front tension arm (thrust rod) bushing set
Powerflex high durometer rear subframe mount kit
Powerflex black series M3 differential mount kit

Zero issues with NVH on my 4.6L 6MT

Next set of mods Bimmerworld Tri-Y Headers, YCW Carbon Driveshaft, 4.10 Gears w/ Wavetrac LSD....Karbonius intake when it arrives.

Kudos on the Harrop bro, if I do another S65 will go that route for a change up.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
BlackPhoenix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, that's what I've read from other people's experiences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
I have the SSK. You might feel a tiny bit more vibration in your hand but that's it.
Thanks did you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozaiya View Post
im dct on solid subframe and purple diff, the whine only happens from 80km/h to 100km/h and it's a good type of whine i think you may actually enjoy it
Awesome to hear, I'll start with purple and see how that goes I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Quote:
Agreed the hard diffy bushings add a ton of nvh.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte869h View Post
Had to check my build sheet its been so long ago....

Powerflex front tension arm (thrust rod) bushing set
Powerflex high durometer rear subframe mount kit
Powerflex black series M3 differential mount kit

Zero issues with NVH on my 4.6L 6MT

Next set of mods Bimmerworld Tri-Y Headers, YCW Carbon Driveshaft, 4.10 Gears w/ Wavetrac LSD....Karbonius intake when it arrives.

Kudos on the Harrop bro, if I do another S65 will go that route for a change up.
Wow sounds like a sick build! Im considering the front tension arms too while it's up on the rack. From what I've read, steering feels more precise. Any added steering wheel vibration from this setup?

Thanks again guys
      09-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

@BlackPhoenix look at the Germam Auto Solution monoballs. Best design and the best price.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Sorry for delayed response, yes steering precise with the tension arm upgrade. No vibrations from the setup. But I have replaced worn front bearings and run race pads. The slightest slop or brake issues will come through the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:
I have solid on subframe, CF driveshaft, and purple on diff. The whine is most noticeable between 75-82 mph in 7th gear. I'd say about ~10% increase in NVH. It's slightly annoying because it's highway cruising speed.

MPE, tear pipes, and intake noise can't really mask it at stable throttle during hwy cruising, so if you want peace, gotta turn up the audio.

Other NVH increase during normal street driving below 65 mph is hardly noticeable. There's noise, but it's a subtle, mechanical noise that's quite sporty.

Since these mods were installed together, I cannot single out the main culprit, but from what I'm reading, I believe it's the stiffer diff bushings.

By the way, since you're planning on tracking, you'll have an excuse to get aggressive tires. My RE-71's are pretty loud on most pavement. It used to annoy me vs. RE-11's which were very quiet. Now I don't mind them as much because it helps reduce the diff whine.
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #12
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
I feel like the wine from the harrop is going to drown out any potential while from the diff.

I have solid diff bushings with subframe, CF driveshaft, and Ron's ssk with 95a bushings. It's all very manageable as daily.

Only experiment I reversed were AKG 95a trans mounts, those were insanely loud. Went with rev shift 80a Mounts and they're perfect.
      11-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
We went with solid subframe bushings and urethane diff bushings. The difference from the solid subframe bushings is unnoticeable. Solid diff bushings do cause some unwanted noise, while the urethane ones almost unnoticeably increase the sound levels. This provides the best of both worlds.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
BlackPhoenix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post
Quote:
I have solid on subframe, CF driveshaft, and purple on diff. The whine is most noticeable between 75-82 mph in 7th gear. I'd say about ~10% increase in NVH. It's slightly annoying because it's highway cruising speed.

MPE, tear pipes, and intake noise can't really mask it at stable throttle during hwy cruising, so if you want peace, gotta turn up the audio.

Other NVH increase during normal street driving below 65 mph is hardly noticeable. There's noise, but it's a subtle, mechanical noise that's quite sporty.

Since these mods were installed together, I cannot single out the main culprit, but from what I'm reading, I believe it's the stiffer diff bushings.

By the way, since you're planning on tracking, you'll have an excuse to get aggressive tires. My RE-71's are pretty loud on most pavement. It used to annoy me vs. RE-11's which were very quiet. Now I don't mind them as much because it helps reduce the diff whine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I feel like the wine from the harrop is going to drown out any potential while from the diff.

I have solid diff bushings with subframe, CF driveshaft, and Ron's ssk with 95a bushings. It's all very manageable as daily.

Only experiment I reversed were AKG 95a trans mounts, those were insanely loud. Went with rev shift 80a Mounts and they're perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
We went with solid subframe bushings and urethane diff bushings. The difference from the solid subframe bushings is unnoticeable. Solid diff bushings do cause some unwanted noise, while the urethane ones almost unnoticeably increase the sound levels. This provides the best of both worlds.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Just got the car back last week. Woah! What a difference!! Ended up with solid subframe, purple diffs, and OEM SSK bushings, rear trailing arms (to help with that extra power as was recommended to me) and GAS monoballs. The car def feels more planted and steering more precise. Shifting feel is much improved and precise, love it. Can't wait to get it on the track.

No noticeable V/H, but the whine, oh man, that Harrop is something else. Such a different character from the 650 kit on my last E93. Loving the low end torque. Beast. Mike and BPM, props for all the work you put towards this kit. Need to put much more time on it, but so far loving it. I'm sure Stage 2 will be even more of a hoot!
      11-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
So awesome!

I'd like to hear how the SC fairs on the track. I'll definitely be joining the Harrop club.

Also, videos would be most appreciated. There's a serious lack of Harrop e9x M videos...