BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #133
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
this incident has made me lose my balls, which is good in a way.
now back to 2:01 HAHA
you scared.
      12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #134
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolam3 View Post
See if you can attend one of the skid control class. Driveway Austin has one. Or find an empty parking lot on a rainy day and have at it.
No go on empty parking lot. I'm not interested in dealing with LEOs. I'll look up some skid control events.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #135
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
No go on empty parking lot. I'm not interested in dealing with LEOs. I'll look up some skid control events.

Not to keep rambling about Bondurant, but they had skid cars (with the dollies on each wheel to raise/lower them at will). Probably the most useful exercise we had all day. I used to be a bit terrified of those "snap" oversteer situations but now I can correct it almost entirely on instinct. Highly recommend those types of exercises!

It was a real riot to watch EVERYONE spin the first few times (did the exercise in groups), even when the instructor was clearly about to change the traction situation.

In fact, this is the EXACT car I used there in February:

12-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #136
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
just do it at the track event. or even better if the track hosts an open track day just find a corner that is safe to practice and go off, make sure there is no one in front or behind you and have a go.

here is a small vid of my few first days with traction control off.

fast forward one year and im doing this.

12-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #137
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Kong, I've noticed you seem interested in gaining some car control (also on m3f).

Here's my advice and what I tell people who want to learn:

Start with one or two skid pad events. Bring an extra pair or two of tires.

Start with doing a donut. Left handed turn donut. Then right hand turn donut (or vice versa, just practice both sides). You'll probably want to use 2nd gear to start with. Get the feel of where the car starts sliding and what inputs in takes to keep it there. Then you can increase the radius of the turn to make as wide a circle you can given the space you have. Experiment that way.

Then once you a starting to get a decent feel of sliding the car on either side, you can start trying transitions. Slide the car one side and try to transfer the slide to the other side. Eg. make an imaginary figure 8.

It's all about weight transfer and feeling the car.

Spending an entire day doing that I guarantee you you will start getting the hang of it.

Not sure I would recommend trying your first slides on an actual track through an actual turn (higher speed, other cars around, less asphalt run off).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #138
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv
Kong, I've noticed you seem interested in gaining some car control (also on m3f).

Start with doing a donut. Left handed turn donut. Then right hand turn donut (or vice versa, just practice both sides). You'll probably want to use 2nd gear to start with. Get the feel of where the car starts sliding and what inputs in takes to keep it there. Then you can increase the radius of the turn to make as wide a circle you can given the space you have. Experiment that way.

Then once you a starting to get a decent feel of sliding the car on either side, you can start trying transitions. Slide the car one side and try to transfer the slide to the other side. Eg. make an imaginary figure 8.

Spending an entire day doing that I guarantee you you will start getting the hang of it.

Not sure I would recommend trying your first slides on an actual track through an actual turn (higher speed, other cars around, less asphalt run off).
That's what I did lol.

During a lemons test day so it was slow
      12-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #139
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Not to keep rambling about Bondurant, but they had skid cars (with the dollies on each wheel to raise/lower them at will). Probably the most useful exercise we had all day. I used to be a bit terrified of those "snap" oversteer situations but now I can correct it almost entirely on instinct. Highly recommend those types of exercises!

It was a real riot to watch EVERYONE spin the first few times (did the exercise in groups), even when the instructor was clearly about to change the traction situation.

In fact, this is the EXACT car I used there in February:

Bondurant probably on my radar for sometime next year. Maybe the 3-4 day course.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #140
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post

This is great advice.

I did a couple car control clinics with Porsche owners club in my all-wheel drive 911 which has very different dynamics than an M3. I became very comfortable with the car because of these clinics and in fact was sliding it out all day at the Thermal Club last week never an issue with recovery. Now that I've decided to track my M3 instead I'm going to do this all over again before I get back on the track. While nothing will prevent a freak accident perhaps like what happened here, we are all going at a very high rate of speed and making spit second decisions that our life depends on so don't skip the basics.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #141
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful posts. I've been looking into some local car control clinics. There is an autox/drift event with a large skid pad that I'll probably go to on the 27th, so I can get some practice.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #142
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful posts. I've been looking into some local car control clinics. There is an autox/drift event with a large skid pad that I'll probably go to on the 27th, so I can get some practice.
Check out Fabricated Motorsports. They do a series in TX which is a feeder for formula drift. Mostly at Mineral Wells but they go to some place on I45 near Houston 2x per year.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #143
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

My condolences to Ivo's family. With that said two deaths this year, and one last year has me leaning towards some sort of government regulation in this industry, especially regarding instructor certification, and training.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #144
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
My condolences to Ivo's family. With that said two deaths this year, and one last year has me leaning towards some sort of government regulation in this industry, especially regarding instructor certification, and training.

Are you suggesting that the latter would have prevented the former in some way?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #145
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Are you suggesting that the latter would have prevented the former in some way?
IVO was an instructor. Not sure about the crash at autoclub earlier this year, but the one at chuckwala last year also had an instructor in the vehicle. What type of national standard does an instructor have to meet? How many track hours? etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #146
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:
IVO was an instructor. Not sure about the crash at autoclub earlier this year, but the one at chuckwala last year also had an instructor in the vehicle. What type of national standard does an instructor have to meet? How many track hours? etc..

Many instructors are trained and tested to a rigorous standard established by organizations like BMWCCA and PCA (among others).

What I asked is whether you are stating (it reads as such) that the U.S. federal government regulating HPDEs would have changed the outcome of the incidents you noted. If so - please explain how the federal government would do that and how it would prevent such incidents.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #147
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Do you really think the government is going to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Many instructors are trained and tested to a rigorous standard established by organizations like BMWCCA and PCA (among others).

What I asked is whether you are stating (it reads as such) that the U.S. federal government regulating HPDEs would have changed the outcome of the incidents you noted. If so - please explain how the federal government would do that and how it would prevent such incidents.
I've heard that there are DE orgs that train by putting instructors on the side of the track with radios.

I've always said this...careful who you HPDE with. Instructor qualifications vary greatly between the different organizations. Some groups are more interested in filling slots. Some have established standards and procedures.

Just because racecar doesn't mean a better instructor. In fact...some of the worst or most questionable instructors are racers. Racing is not the same as HPDE. Some skills are interchangeable but HPDE is a non-competitive environment.

BMWCCA and PCA are the two DE orgs that are good at it. Driver's Edge in TX is the best one I've driven with.

The tell tale sign on the quality of DE org...the morning driver's briefing. Do they stress safety? Flags? Playing well with others? In my experience over the past 7 years...the ones that don't are usually the ones that I would rate as poor.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #148
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hell no to govt regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Check out Fabricated Motorsports. They do a series in TX which is a feeder for formula drift. Mostly at Mineral Wells but they go to some place on I45 near Houston 2x per year.
Didn't see any past events near Houston. I'll monitor their FB page.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #149
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Bondurant probably on my radar for sometime next year. Maybe the 3-4 day course.

Awesome dude, let us know what you think. I plan to return in the next year or two for the more advanced stuff...and to try a Z06.