BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

04-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Comp 6mt

Can I land an e92 m3 on this budget?

Hey guys,

I have a 2016 M4 Comp 6mt that I love, but I always told myself I would get an e92 m3 at one point. I’m about a year out from the purchase and am saving up on the side. My budget will be $15k and I’m completely fine with an 08 with higher miles. However, it needs to be 6mt, coupe and well maintained with no accident history or very minor accidents. Flexible on color too. My goal is to secure a good condition car that I can keep for a long time, with the expectations that after buying it, I’d have to spend money on maintenance like rod bearings, etc. Plans for the car would include basic bolt ons and handling mods, with the occasional track day.

I would get a thorough PPI to check mechanically and structurally before hand. With that said, by next summer do you think I’ll be able to find a clean example with higher miles? 130k miles reasonable? If I’m prepared to do rod bearings, what’s the highest mileage you would recommend on this car? I honestly wish I could spend more but with two babies and a house purchase in the near future, this is the max I’m comfortable spending and I’m ITCHING for a 6mt e92 m3

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Pic of the f82 just because...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

You're thinking a twelve-year-old car with 130k? I'd sell the F82 and get a younger, lower-mileage E92 in my desired spec. Or vice versa, if I needed something to drive. Two aging mistresses at the same time is a recipe for heartburn.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
You're thinking a twelve-year-old car with 130k? I'd sell the F82 and get a younger, lower-mileage E92 in my desired spec. Or vice versa, if I needed something to drive. Two aging mistresses at the same time is a recipe for heartburn.
also, if he buys an e92 the M4 will never get driven again :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt it. I like both platforms the same. One isn’t better than the other imo. Back to the question. With 15k, give or take, can I get a well maintained high mileage 08 with 6mt? Over the course of a year or so after owning it I would do all preventative stuff including RBs, so mileage doesn’t scare me
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I think you can get one for that price range.

If you are guy that enjoys wrenching on his own stuff I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
I doubt it. I like both platforms the same. One isn’t better than the other imo. Back to the question. With 15k, give or take, can I get a well maintained high mileage 08 with 6mt? Over the course of a year or so after owning it I would do all preventative stuff including RBs, so mileage doesn’t scare me
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Or maybe switch it up if you have two cars. Get an E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

It's nigh impossible to predict how much a vintage e92 M3 would drain you long-term, PPI or no PPI. You might get lucky. Or not. I'd insist on unimpeachable evidence that typical major problems are addressed, especially RBs. I'd want total or near-total stock. I'd expect niggling and/or serious issues, particularly if you don't wrench. My one-owner 2011 with 26k miles cost me an immediate $4k to get right. Paid $37.5k three years ago.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate the feedback. I feel confident about a $15k budget getting me what I’m looking for. An e90 might work, but I have my heart set on the e92
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

E92 maybe, e90 will be hard to find for that low
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
M.Power
Գեվոջանյան
Rep
Drives: 2022 LP650 Urus/2023 F93 M8

There's no point in buying a high mileage beat-up car. Spend a bit more and getting a cleaner well-maintained car since it'll cost about the same in the end anyway after maintenance costs are considered.
      04-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Bump the budget 5k.. for 15k rn you're buying a car with a story whether you realize it or not
      04-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #12
mrm3too
Pump that Bass
Rep
Drives: E36, Model 3, Cayenne S

Garage List
I have seen some e92s around 15k that are beat and openly have issues listed. I personally wouldn't and if you want a daily just get a cheap hybrid and park the M4 for weekends. If you want to daily an m3 I would look at e46s. 15k will get you a well maintained e46 with decent miles.

1995 E36 AA M3
F80 M3 X Volk TE37s
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

15k? In good condition and well maintained (maintenance records?) mmm I don't c it, even with high mileage. 15k is for the beat up car at this point, unless it's salvage title. I can c 20k though. Good luck and nice M4 zcp.
      04-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
Korygunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I don't see an issue with getting one at that high milage given that price, especially right now. I own a m3 e92 myself. It will just take longer just because there isn't that many people selling it that low of a price. Just be patient brother.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

As of now, here’s the selection of cars under $17k nationwide. Some have clean car faxes, some don’t.
Lots of great and helpful feedback here. As for the e46, I thought about it but really don’t want to mess with subframe and reinforcement, etc. I’ll be the first to admit that’s well beyond my comfort zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And the car also won’t be for a daily. I have a Jeep for that. The e92 would be a “just because” car, and if I find the right one, I don’t plan on letting go of it. Maybe bumping up the search to $20k might be better and negotiate down to $17k which I might be able to swing.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
JPetro10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I just picked up my first E92 well within your budget! Buut, it DEFINITELY has higher miles. It's a 2008, 6MT, 170k miles, BUT...1 owner, clean title, regularly serviced, no accidents, no mods... but has never had the RB done! That blew my mind. In fact, Feb of 2018, the first owner had roughly $13k worth of work done to the car...but didn't do the RB, lol! Rear main was done, carb cleaning, new plugs, valve cover gaskets, replaced clutch slave, engine and trans mounts were done, fuel injectors (can't recall if it was cleaning or replacing). All of that was done, but not the RB. No clue why. I've already booked my appointment to have them done. I would love to tackle it, but that's a job I'll leave to the pro's with the right tools and experience.

I picked it up for $10,500 under somewhat unique circumstances which I'll go into more in my build thread when that's posted.

It's definitely not perfect & I'm not even driving it until the RB are done. It has the ABS light trio, lol and I'm sure a few other things I'm not aware of.

With that being said, I'm into buying cars and fixing them up. I have a 95 E36 M3 with 230K miles with an S54 and a ton of other upgrades/mods. I just picked up a blown up S2000 which I just finished putting a new engine into.

Anyways, long story short, if you don't mind doing some work and it isn't your daily, the
deals are there and unfortunately with the state of things, I think more deals will be popping up soon.
Appreciate 1
WAKman413.50
      04-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
WAKman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 1985 Porsche 911

I think you can do it pretty easily. And assuming you go in eyes wide open, can and will do the work yourself (critical), and don't have to daily the car, why not? That said, I'd probably steer you away from an 08 mt, as they have clutch problems that were I understand were rectified in 09 (someone correct me if this is inaccurate). I would love to have a mt companion to my 08 E92 DCT, but that would be pretty tough to slip past the wife.

It will be interesting to see how the COVID-driven economic slump will affect the E92 M3. The cars are old enough now to be "hobby cars," by which I mean well clear of the lease/finance cycle, so people now really have to love them to want to keep them up. As they age and become more infirm, I wonder if enough financially distressed folks will just throw in the towel on these expensive mistresses. The way street Hemis became dirt cheap when the 1973 gas crunch hit (I was there). If that happens, your $15K budget should be pretty easy to hit.

Beautiful F82, and fairly rare with mt.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
JPetro10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKman View Post
It will be interesting to see how the COVID-driven economic slump will affect the E92 M3. The cars are old enough now to be "hobby cars," by which I mean well clear of the lease/finance cycle, so people now really have to love them to want to keep them up. As they age and become more infirm, I wonder if enough financially distressed folks will just throw in the towel on these expensive mistresses. The way street Hemis became dirt cheap when the 1973 gas crunch hit (I was there). If that happens, your $15K budget should be pretty easy to hit.
This is exactly what I'm thinking, too. I'm very curious to see how cars like the M3's, V8 R8, AMG GT's, NSX's do in the few months.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetro10 View Post
I just picked up my first E92 well within your budget! Buut, it DEFINITELY has higher miles. It's a 2008, 6MT, 170k miles, BUT...1 owner, clean title, regularly serviced, no accidents, no mods... but has never had the RB done! That blew my mind. In fact, Feb of 2018, the first owner had roughly $13k worth of work done to the car...but didn't do the RB, lol! Rear main was done, carb cleaning, new plugs, valve cover gaskets, replaced clutch slave, engine and trans mounts were done, fuel injectors (can't recall if it was cleaning or replacing). All of that was done, but not the RB. No clue why. I've already booked my appointment to have them done. I would love to tackle it, but that's a job I'll leave to the pro's with the right tools and experience.

I picked it up for $10,500 under somewhat unique circumstances which I'll go into more in my build thread when that's posted.

It's definitely not perfect & I'm not even driving it until the RB are done. It has the ABS light trio, lol and I'm sure a few other things I'm not aware of.

With that being said, I'm into buying cars and fixing them up. I have a 95 E36 M3 with 230K miles with an S54 and a ton of other upgrades/mods. I just picked up a blown up S2000 which I just finished putting a new engine into.

Anyways, long story short, if you don't mind doing some work and it isn't your daily, the
deals are there and unfortunately with the state of things, I think more deals will be popping up soon.
Great feedback. I can't do a lot of the major things myself like rod bearings, but I have a good comfort level with routine maintenance like spark plugs, coils, oil changes, brakes, etc. That said, this likely will be the highest mileage car I'll ever buy, and I'm fine with it so long as the major things like structure, engine and transmission are in good condition. It's encouraging to see that you picked a high mileage one up for $10,500, but even for me, I personally wouldn't want to go much beyond 150k.

Quote:
I think you can do it pretty easily. And assuming you go in eyes wide open, can and will do the work yourself (critical), and don't have to daily the car, why not? That said, I'd probably steer you away from an 08 mt, as they have clutch problems that were I understand were rectified in 09 (someone correct me if this is inaccurate). I would love to have a mt companion to my 08 E92 DCT, but that would be pretty tough to slip past the wife.

Thanks man. I really think I'll need to stay with an 08 due to budget limitations. That said, there are no internal gearbox issues with the 08 like synchros, etc, correct? If it's just a sporadic clutch issue, would that get resolved if I swap out the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetro10 View Post

Great feedback. I can't do a lot of the major things myself like rod bearings, but I have a good comfort level with routine maintenance like spark plugs, coils, oil changes, brakes, etc. That said, this likely will be the highest mileage car I'll ever buy, and I'm fine with it so long as the major things like structure, engine and transmission are in good condition. It's encouraging to see that you picked a high mileage one up for $10,500, but even for me, I personally wouldn't want to go much beyond 150k.

Quote:

Thanks man. I really think I'll need to stay with an 08 due to budget limitations. That said, there are no internal gearbox issues with the 08 like synchros, etc, correct? If it's just a sporadic clutch issue, would that get resolved if I swap out the clutch?
I don't believe 08s have clutch problems per se, just noisier chatter when idling.
      04-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If you're willing to work on cars yourself I don't see why not. The E9X M3 is quite reliable and as long as the engine hasn't blown before you do rod bearings you should be fine.

You'll have to do work like suspension, rod bearings, etc, but that isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Others say you should sell the F8X and consolidate into one car. I disagree. I have an E90, an E92 and an F80 CS and the character between the E9X and the F8X is sufficiently different for me to enjoy both cars for what they are.
Appreciate 0