BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Will_L
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E9x

PO352 "A tale of two coils"

I recently changed out my spark plugs. Later that day after having driven the car several hours i had a check engine light come on. When I pulled the code it came back as an ignition coil in cylinder two. I moved it too cylinder one and the code followed. I tried finding an ignition coil online such as bosche or ngk but everyone seems to be out of stock. So I ordered an 80 dollar ignition coil from bimmerworld(BBT), immediately after starting the car after swapping in the new coil the same code appeared (I had cleared it out with my obd2 scanner). I assumed it was a bad ignition coil so I had the local auto parts store over night me one (duralast) and had the exactly the same result, when I move the new coil the codes follow. But when I put in the old coil c.e.l. Does not put the car into limp mode until it is up too temp. I was doing some research and thought maybe the autohous az would work because people had been having luck with them so I ordered one (bremi), threw it in this morning with the same result. I'm scratching my head with this one any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Perhaps it is a bad spark plug? Maybe try putting the original coil and plug back in and see if if still throws a code. I'm no mechanic but it seems the trouble started after you swapped plugs and have tried several coil options to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

are the coils fully seated? sometimes it seems like they are but they aren't - you've gotta hear a click
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Did you put the ground straps back on the valve cover properly making ground/contact?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Will_L
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E9x

After receiving advice from Mporium i replaced the aftermarket coil with an OEM and all is well now.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232341.00