BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

01-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #243
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post
Hi , just joined so i can post this, i fitted these to my car back in August

Ok then, bought these back in August , a full set of F8* M3/M4 brakes , consisting of 370mm rear discs with 2 pot calipers ,380mm front discs with 4 pot calipers and also the front spindle/hub assembie's too, you need those for the front calipers as the pitch betwwen mounting lugs is smaller on the M4 as opposed to the E92 M3, I was assured from theseller that they would just bolt on so after many messages back and forth I took the plunge and bought them, I dont think anyone has done a detailed write up about fitting this brake set up so here goes

the full set along with spindles

so with the car on axle stands for a few days I stripped my front hubs/spindles off to compare to the M4 set.

back to back measuring to compare the centreline ,angle and height of how the damper will sit , its exactly the same

carefull measurements of the centrelines and angles of the balljoint holes, if this is different then its game over ! indeed they are exactly the same

Now this is the one where its slightly different, note the four holes for the wheel bearing , they sit around 4-5 mm lower on the M4 spindle, making the length from the strut top mount to the wheel centre 4-5mm longer, this will raise the car's ride height ever so slightly, we'll see later on!

also the E92 wheel bearing fits exactly to the m4 spindle, i tried it off the car first then bolted the disc on and caliper, its plug and play with no altering of the track ,the wheels sit exactly the same and i still use my 10mm spacer with no ill affect.

old spindles and front arms removed for cleaning and painting

removing bushes ready for powerflex items

painted

spindles cleaned up ready for painting, can you see where this is leading to?

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

back on and bolted up, I marked the damper with a line around the top of the old spindle , its the same with the M4 spindle

caliper on and bled

Rears now, I measures the thickness of the discs from the mating face to the inner surface, i can comfirm they're the measuremnt on both sets of discs, the rears are plug and play with the handbrake shoes lining up perfect too!

the only thing thats required for the caliper fitment is these spacer washers between caliper and hub to centralise the caliper on the disc

caliper bolted on and bled

use also use the E92 brake hoses as theyre a direct fit

Also fitted these, a set of competition pack springs

this is how it sits with the comp pack springs and m4 brakes

I'd say its a little high in the front ,maybe due to that measurement I talked about earlier, making the centre of the wheel to the strut top 4-5mm longer due to the wheel bearing mounting holes, it was on eibachs for a bit and looked good with them fitted but the comp springs handle far superior!

bought some used Intrax springs , have to say they handle really well but a very hard ride, this is how it looks with those fitted, I think the drop is a bit low, even with the M4 spindles!

so to conclude , Im happy with the M4 brake set up, a nice solid feel with no exceess pedal travel the some BBk's can give, only thing is im looking for the holy grail of springs to give me that perfect stance with comp pack ride/handling , dont say eibachs as ive had those, KW has set maybe on the cards!
would i reccommend the M4 set up ? Yes! allthough I may paint the calipers Austin yellow one day!
GreatWhiteM2
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      01-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #244
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post
Hi , just joined so i can post this, i fitted these to my car back in August

Ok then, bought these back in August , a full set of F8* M3/M4 brakes , consisting of 370mm rear discs with 2 pot calipers ,380mm front discs with 4 pot calipers and also the front spindle/hub assembie's too, you need those for the front calipers as the pitch betwwen mounting lugs is smaller on the M4 as opposed to the E92 M3, I was assured from theseller that they would just bolt on so after many messages back and forth I took the plunge and bought them, I dont think anyone has done a detailed write up about fitting this brake set up so here goes

the full set along with spindles

so with the car on axle stands for a few days I stripped my front hubs/spindles off to compare to the M4 set.

back to back measuring to compare the centreline ,angle and height of how the damper will sit , its exactly the same

carefull measurements of the centrelines and angles of the balljoint holes, if this is different then its game over ! indeed they are exactly the same

Now this is the one where its slightly different, note the four holes for the wheel bearing , they sit around 4-5 mm lower on the M4 spindle, making the length from the strut top mount to the wheel centre 4-5mm longer, this will raise the car's ride height ever so slightly, we'll see later on!

also the E92 wheel bearing fits exactly to the m4 spindle, i tried it off the car first then bolted the disc on and caliper, its plug and play with no altering of the track ,the wheels sit exactly the same and i still use my 10mm spacer with no ill affect.

old spindles and front arms removed for cleaning and painting

removing bushes ready for powerflex items

painted

spindles cleaned up ready for painting, can you see where this is leading to?

coat of 2k primer

painted silver

bushes fitted

arch liners cleaned up

back on and bolted up, I marked the damper with a line around the top of the old spindle , its the same with the M4 spindle

caliper on and bled

Rears now, I measures the thickness of the discs from the mating face to the inner surface, i can comfirm they're the measuremnt on both sets of discs, the rears are plug and play with the handbrake shoes lining up perfect too!

the only thing thats required for the caliper fitment is these spacer washers between caliper and hub to centralise the caliper on the disc

caliper bolted on and bled

use also use the E92 brake hoses as theyre a direct fit

Also fitted these, a set of competition pack springs

this is how it sits with the comp pack springs and m4 brakes

I'd say its a little high in the front ,maybe due to that measurement I talked about earlier, making the centre of the wheel to the strut top 4-5mm longer due to the wheel bearing mounting holes, it was on eibachs for a bit and looked good with them fitted but the comp springs handle far superior!

bought some used Intrax springs , have to say they handle really well but a very hard ride, this is how it looks with those fitted, I think the drop is a bit low, even with the M4 spindles!

so to conclude , Im happy with the M4 brake set up, a nice solid feel with no exceess pedal travel the some BBk's can give, only thing is im looking for the holy grail of springs to give me that perfect stance with comp pack ride/handling , dont say eibachs as ive had those, KW has set maybe on the cards!
would i reccommend the M4 set up ? Yes! allthough I may paint the calipers Austin yellow one day!
GreatWhiteM2
Cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:00 AM   #245
Viper4
Rep
Drives: 11.5 E90 M3

Reviving the forum here. Does anyone have a lead on where I can buy a bracket for the F80 M3 front brakes? I found a complete set of F80 M3 brakes, and I'd like to make the swap on my E90 M3. The bracket option seems really straight forward and easier than replacing the spindle. My brakes need an overhaul and I'd rather spend money on something better than original. I'm not spending BBK money right now.

Also, any long-term driving impressions from those that made this swap a while ago? Any noticeable changes to performance over stock? TIA!

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:02 AM   #246
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 & E91

Great info looking to do this in the future.
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #247
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper4 View Post
Reviving the forum here. Does anyone have a lead on where I can buy a bracket for the F80 M3 front brakes? I found a complete set of F80 M3 brakes, and I'd like to make the swap on my E90 M3. The bracket option seems really straight forward and easier than replacing the spindle. My brakes need an overhaul and I'd rather spend money on something better than original. I'm not spending BBK money right now.

Also, any long-term driving impressions from those that made this swap a while ago? Any noticeable changes to performance over stock? TIA!

-Tom

I doubt you're going to notice any differences on the street. Tires are the limiting factor in braking performance 9 times out of 10.
      04-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #248
Edberto
#BorstenBartRacing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:

-Tom
I'm also looking for a solution that is not using the M4 spindels but I don't think that a bracket is a working solution since the only dimensional difference seems to be the bolt pattern (122mm M4 vs. 138mm M3).
An excentric sleeve/bushing (whatever the technical term is) should be sufficient but I have not yet found a matching one.

If some of the folks who mentioned they used a worling brakcet solution has pictures or links, let us know
      04-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #249
Viper4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

-Tom

I doubt you're going to notice any differences on the street. Tires are the limiting factor in braking performance 9 times out of 10.
I track the car a fair amount. I have the luxury of living close to the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #250
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I track the car a fair amount. I have the luxury of living close to the Nurburgring.

Then I would just look at an actual BBK...
      04-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #251
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

-Tom
I don't know of an adaptor for the blue m4 calipers, but there is one for the CCB or M2 Comp calipers.
https://futureclassic.us/collections...it-bracket-set

But it's $1350 for just the adapters, whereas the spindles are only about $750ish.
I don't know if adapters will work with the blue m4 calipers because the bracket is fixed unlike the CCB and M2comp calipers where it is removable and can be replaced with the adapter.

I went with the spindles to have everything be OEM.
Long term driving impressions are good, high speed braking feeds much more stable. I got to do 1 track day before things shut down and it went well.

Plus the rotor size, rotor hats with M stamp, and calipers all look better so that's a good improvement.

Last edited by tdott; 04-22-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      04-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #252
Viper4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:

-Tom
I don't know of an adaptor for the blue m4 calipers, but there is one for the CCB or M2 Comp calipers.
https://futureclassic.us/collections...it-bracket-set

But it's $1350 for just the adapters, whereas the spindles are only about $750ish.
I don't know if adapters will work with the blue m4 calipers because the bracket is fixed unlike the CCB and M2comp calipers where it is removable and can be replaced with the adapter.

I went with the spindles to have everything be OEM.
Long term driving impressions are good, high speed braking feeds much more stable. I got to do 1 track day before things shut down and it went well.

Plus the rotor size, rotor hats with M stamp, and calipers all look better so that's a good improvement.
It looks great! Yeah I saw that one bracket. Outrageous price haha. Maybe I'll press with spindles. Nice review. Seems like a worthwhile replacement until I go BBK. I'll pretty much be able to do this for the price of new E92 rotors plus 600 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #253
Viper4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

Then I would just look at an actual BBK...
Ah yes. I would too. One of these days. Many priorities... Anyways, the speed limfac is still the driver 😆
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #254
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

I compiled everything into 1 post including a part list, so that it is easier to follow vs this huge thread where the long picture post keeps getting quoted.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26082424

Hopefully that will cut down on the PMs and questions I get.
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      04-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #255
Viper4
Rep

Quote:
I compiled everything into 1 post including a part list, so that it is easier to follow vs this huge thread where the long picture post keeps getting quoted.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26082424

Hopefully that will cut down on the PMs and questions I get.
Great post. Thanks! These brackets are elusive! Haha. Spindles it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #256
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes. I would too. One of these days. Many priorities... Anyways, the speed limfac is still the driver ��

A good braking system will give you more confidence to drive harder and faster. You'll be kicking yourself next year once you realize this system is getting overwhelmed.

Seriously, I would not do this swap for any sort of track driving -- especially something as fast as the Nurburgring. Even a basic StopTech ST40 kit will be better. Even the F8x M3 guys who track their cars swap these things out.
      05-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #257
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Speed sensor Exx match 100% on M Fxx knuckles without issues.

EDIT :

it is an old thread but i have to correct my post.

my mistake: i have checked with INPA and i had an error

O05DA6 wheel speed sensor : direction of rotation front right
So i have turn the two front wheel sensors of 90° and now these are OK.

However, i have now a problem on the rear axle,
the sensors indicate the wrong direction of rotation / front...

anyone know if it is maybe possible to code it ?

Thanks a lot
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #258
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
EDIT :

it is an old thread but i have to correct my post.

my mistake: i have checked with INPA and i had an error

O05DA6 wheel speed sensor : direction of rotation front right
So i have turn the two front wheel sensors of 90° and now these are OK.

However, i have now a problem on the rear axle,
the sensors indicate the wrong direction of rotation / front...

anyone know if it is maybe possible to code it ?

Thanks a lot
Read back a few pages.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #259
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Read back a few pages.
i have read all the pages

you are talking of the 15° offset location?

i have tried it but it wasn't better than the 90° location --> my rear sensors always displayed the wrong direction when the front were 90° or 15°

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #260
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drive the car and look at it again. I can't see why the rear sensor would not read the correct direction u less you changed something.

The front sensors are the ones that read the incorrect direction because the orientation is different on the f80 sensor. The pictures a few pages back so where they should be oriented for the front to read correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #261
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Drive the car and look at it again. I can't see why the rear sensor would not read the correct direction u less you changed something.

The front sensors are the ones that read the incorrect direction because the orientation is different on the f80 sensor. The pictures a few pages back so where they should be oriented for the front to read correctly.

OK,

i have not change anything to the rear.

I will give it a try tomorrow with the 15° location.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #262
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That is a good point, that picture shows the right side. Which turning the sensor to the right turns it towards the outside of the center which is what you want.

For the Left side (Driver), you want to turn it to the left which is again towards the outside of the center because the sensor location is different.

The key thing is you want the hole that the screw usually goes in to be pointing toward the outside of the center as much as possible.

I don't have a picture of both sides, but this is how I left one side for now, it is pretty snug in there and has stayed in place for a week, but I do plan on securing it somehow or I am hoping my plan below works.

I found a pair of F8x sensors, my plan is to try to splice them into the E9xm connectors since they are different, then I'll be able to secure them properly and the F8x sensor is in the correct orientation. I am not yet sure the sensors are compatible but they look the same minus the orientation and connector. So it will be trail and error, but I'll report back in a few weeks when I get around to it.
Did you make the test with the F8x sensor??? it seems to be the "cleaner" solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #263
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Did you make the test with the F8x sensor??? it seems to be the "cleaner" solution.
Yes I now have F8x sensors and it have been holding up with no issues even after a track day.

You can try this approach, but it requires cutting the sensor, the above was just a temp solution and testing to find the right orientation.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #264
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I now have F8x sensors and it have been holding up with no issues even after a track day.

You can try this approach, but it requires cutting the sensor, the above was just a temp solution and testing to find the right orientation.

thank you for this detail.
one thing i can think of, is our set up have some differences.

i have fitting M3 Fxx bearing With standard (no M) Exx wheel sensor.

you have an M3 so front bearing are specifics to this and wheel sensors too.

it may be why i have some issues...

the good news is that Fxx sensor could be a fix. or maybe fit some M3 Exx wheel sensor.

it is of course only assumptions.

EDIT :

i have tried to test Without the front sensors (harness unplugged) & the rear sensors always indicate the wrong direction. see photo.

help & advice are welcome.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by ornicar; 05-12-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: add comments
Appreciate 0