BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-05-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Mr 12 volt coding for non CD changer cars

Hi all,

I am a little confused about coding in CD changer functionality to work with the Mr 12 Volt P2000 for those of us with cars that never had that option, but DID have "6 CD preparations" option.

Most instructions reference using Bimmercode, but I dont have it. I am competent reading various modules with NCSExpert, manipulating them with NCSDummy, and then coding them into the car.

A few questions:

What modules must be read first?
For those modules read, what must be changed/manipulated?
Is a K-DCAN cable sufficient or not?(I have read that not all modules can be read with one on these cars - specifically the 2URAD module)

For reference, my car is a manual '08 with a CIC retrofit. Everything works. Any help for coding the "old fashioned way" with NCSDummy is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 11:47 PM   #2
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

The module is the CIC itself, I think it was 'HU_CIC"

You need to set CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc.

Unsure if there is something additional needed for CIC retrofit cars. K-DCAN cable works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep

The problem is that I can’t code the CIC directly with a k-dcan. When I try to find it on the list of available modules in NCSExpert, it isn’t listed.

I did edit the VO for the CAS, NFRM, and the FRM by adding $672 and deleting $694 (this adds the CD option to the car). But I’m not sure if that’s sufficient, I will find out soon
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 11:37 PM   #4
drwankel
Major
Rep

I think the issue lies in the coding done for the retrofit itself. At the conclusion of the cic retrofit, you are expected to default code the CIC module, which means it likely wasn't done if you cant see it in NCS_expert.

Did you update the build date to at least 0909 before coding CAS and NFRM/FRM? Did you add $6VA to the VO?

Last edited by drwankel; 01-07-2024 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I think the issue lies in the coding done for the retrofit itself. At the conclusion of the cic retrofit, you are expected to default code the CIC module, which means it likely wasn't done if you cant see it in NCS_expert.

Did you update the build date to at least 0909 before coding CAS and NFRM/FRM? Did you add $6VA to the VO?
I bought a pre-coded retrofit kit, so I assume it had the default coding already done to it. I read somewhere else that K-DCAN can’t communicate with the CIC via NCSExpert.

I did not update the build date nor add $6VA, are those things necessary?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 02:16 AM   #6
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgsvensson View Post
I bought a pre-coded retrofit kit, so I assume it had the default coding already done to it. I read somewhere else that K-DCAN can’t communicate with the CIC via NCSExpert.

I did not update the build date nor add $6VA, are those things necessary?
To be clear- I've never done a CIC retrofit, but reading through various instructions, yes you need to update the build date and add $6VA. Only once that is done will CIC be visible in NCSexpert. Regardless of how you think the CIC was coded, once you get it visible in NCSexpert, you should still default code it.

Example procedure:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2016/06/14/...ng-ncs-expert/

Not 100% sure if everything in here is accurate.

I can confirm that I can view CIC in NCSexpert on a native CIC car with a k+dcan cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #7
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
To be clear- I've never done a CIC retrofit, but reading through various instructions, yes you need to update the build date and add $6VA. Only once that is done will CIC be visible in NCSexpert. Regardless of how you think the CIC was coded, once you get it visible in NCSexpert, you should still default code it.

Example procedure:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2016/06/14/...ng-ncs-expert/

Not 100% sure if everything in here is accurate.

I can confirm that I can view CIC in NCSexpert on a native CIC car with a k+dcan cable.
Awesome I will do that. Appreciate the research!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like you have a separate issue not being able to read the CIC module.

That usually means something was skipped in the retrofit coding, hopefully the above mentioned will fix it.

Also consider that some harnesses that split behind the CIC HU sometimes blocks the ability to code the CIC. So youd have to uninstall the harness to code it.

I have the older version mr12volt with the CIC controller harness not the new one, so I can't confirm if this is the case or not. But android units usually have that problem. So something to consider. But if you always haven't been able to read the CIC module then it's probably due to steps omitted in the retrofit coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:24 PM   #9
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sounds like you have a separate issue not being able to read the CIC module.

That usually means something was skipped in the retrofit coding, hopefully the above mentioned will fix it.

Also consider that some harnesses that split behind the CIC HU sometimes blocks the ability to code the CIC. So youd have to uninstall the harness to code it.

I have the older version mr12volt with the CIC controller harness not the new one, so I can't confirm if this is the case or not. But android units usually have that problem. So something to consider. But if you always haven't been able to read the CIC module then it's probably due to steps omitted in the retrofit coding.
Actually, this is a valid point- the new version connects differently. Either way- you still need to do the build date and VO coding update.

If it still doesn't work and you are using the new version with factory mic integration- you might have to remove it to be able to code CIC, and then put it back in.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:34 PM   #10
gkgsvensson
Private
Rep

Just following up, managed to get everything working by recoding the CIC after removing the harness, then reinstalling the 12 volt. Thanks everyone for the input, I couldn’t have done it without the help
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 01:23 PM   #11
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgsvensson View Post
Just following up, managed to get everything working by recoding the CIC after removing the harness, then reinstalling the 12 volt. Thanks everyone for the input, I couldn’t have done it without the help
This is a good callout. So it sounds like the way the new box connects vs the DSP and earlier boxes, you need to do the coding before installation.

In the DSP and prior boxes, there is no quadlock adapter, so you can still code it with the P2000 installed.
Appreciate 0