BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

04-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Radio (and door/seatbelt chime) no longer working

I haven't been on these forums in a while since I recently moved cross country, but now I'm back.

When I bought the car a couple of years ago I noticed that the radio sometimes (maybe once a month) fails to produce sound when I first turn on the car. Everything "works", the buttons, the lights, etc, but there is no sound coming from the radio and there is no door/seatbelt chime. If I press tue Audio button to switch sources, it would flicker and bring me right back to where I was. That was the only "malfunction" I could identify....other than no sound of course.

Previously, if I turned off the car and waited a minute or so, everything would be fine. Just a couple of days ago, it just stopped and for the past 2 days, no sound.

Searching around the net shows that this isn't an isolated problem. Anyone know about this and what can be done? Some have received a software update and it's fine. Some have had their amp replaced AND a software update.

I have an aftermarket amplifier (JL Audio 8 channel) with Technic's custom harness so I don't think it's an amplifier issue since this problem happened prior to the JL amp. I'm just concerned if I bring it to BMW for a software update, they will blame it on the amp.

EDIT: This is NOT the issue on the 1Addicts board where a guy made a video showing his radio not working. In his instance, there were no lights on the radio as well.

Any ideas/advice is welcome. My car just came out of the maintenance warranty, but it's still in the CPO.
      04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I haven't been on these forums in a while since I recently moved cross country, but now I'm back.

When I bought the car a couple of years ago I noticed that the radio sometimes (maybe once a month) fails to produce sound when I first turn on the car. Everything "works", the buttons, the lights, etc, but there is no sound coming from the radio and there is no door/seatbelt chime. If I press tue Audio button to switch sources, it would flicker and bring me right back to where I was. That was the only "malfunction" I could identify....other than no sound of course.

Previously, if I turned off the car and waited a minute or so, everything would be fine. Just a couple of days ago, it just stopped and for the past 2 days, no sound.

Searching around the net shows that this isn't an isolated problem. Anyone know about this and what can be done? Some have received a software update and it's fine. Some have had their amp replaced AND a software update.

I have an aftermarket amplifier (JL Audio 8 channel) with Technic's custom harness so I don't think it's an amplifier issue since this problem happened prior to the JL amp. I'm just concerned if I bring it to BMW for a software update, they will blame it on the amp.

EDIT: This is NOT the issue on the 1Addicts board where a guy made a video showing his radio not working. In his instance, there were no lights on the radio as well.

Any ideas/advice is welcome. My car just came out of the maintenance warranty, but it's still in the CPO.
I would try to get a replacement radio under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Thanks Technic. Would you recommend I put the OEM amp back in with the original harness just in case they say something?
      04-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Thanks Technic. Would you recommend I put the OEM amp back in with the original harness just in case they say something?
That's what I would do