BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
chron3k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 911S Cab

Any reviews of Esurance?

I'm thinking of switching my insurance carrier (from Geico) to Esurance. They are cheaper and I had a negative experience with Geico.

Anyone have reviews about Esurance in terms of their claims processing? Thought I may throw a post up there; did a search and the last time this question was directly asked was back in 2006.

Appreciate all feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
roymorales
Private
Rep
Drives: EME TRES

I have esurance and they are great to deal with. I've never had a problem with a claim and they are always on top of their shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I did some intensive research a few years back (3 years I'd say now). At that point they were utter crap from what I found. tons of bad press, bad reviews, generally just crap.

By the post above, maybe they've turned things around. It's certainly possible. I would definitely scour the review sites, etc first though
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
what problem did you have with Geico, had them for years, never had to make a claim, but friends who have said they were great
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I would definitely scour the review sites, etc first though
The problem with doing this is people are much more motivated to write a scathing review of a bad experience where they feel screwed, as opposed to a positive one where they feel they got what they're entitled to. As a bimmerpost member, you can certainly appreciate that the population distortion of the internet, which is not the place to get the most objective statements.... We all know how outrageous people can become when posting things "anonymously" online.... I take everything, especially product reviews, with a substantial grain of salt, because you don't really know the whole story, or the reviewer's motivations.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
safeco is where its at.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
what problem did you have with Geico, had them for years, never had to make a claim, but friends who have said they were great
personally I left geico because of their cost. Switching progressive literally cut my insurance in half.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The problem with doing this is people are much more motivated to write a scathing review of a bad experience where they feel screwed, as opposed to a positive one where they feel they got what they're entitled to. As a bimmerpost member, you can certainly appreciate that the population distortion of the internet, which is not the place to get the most objective statements.... We all know how outrageous people can become when posting things "anonymously" online.... I take everything, especially product reviews, with a substantial grain of salt, because you don't really know the whole story, or the reviewer's motivations.
completely agreed. However I do use it as a starting point. Everything, everywhere will have upset people. That's a given.

However back when I was reading up esurance, there were blogs, articles, and day after day of stories of them leaving people high and dry. (I mean literally, day after day, review websites having detailed stories day after day of negative things).
Again they very likely have changed now...personally I think they're all pretty good except for nationwide. Nationwide is utter garbage (from personal experience)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

while I'm at it, I'll do a plug for progressive.

Freaking amazing so far...I've had the worst series of luck over the past couple years (90% of them not my fault, only thing that was my fault was a ticket). ending with a claims history that's PAGES and PAGES long.

No insurance hike outside of a small one for a ticket. And they've been awesome with everything
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
personally I left geico because of their cost. Switching progressive literally cut my insurance in half.
Hmm, I always shop it and it's the exact opposite for me - progressive was twice as much
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
I have been with them for a year after being with AMEX (Ameriprise) for almost 16 years and am quite happy so far.

AMEX tried to screw me after I got a couple of tickets by raising my rates to more than double and I gave them the finger!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I always shop it and it's the exact opposite for me - progressive was twice as much
Yea I still try to stress to everyone, all the time, every time, to shop. Shop every 6 months, shop every year.

Every insurance agency has different quotas and different views.
For example, progressive only cares about violations within 3 years. State farm, farmers, esurance, etc care about 5 years.
Some care about the speed of the speeding ticket, some just care that you got a ticket. (so in this case a 40 over is as bad as a 5 over)

I've yet to see a single one care about points.

rule of thumb with car insurance, always shop around, ESPECIALLY if something has changed (tickets, accidents, etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Esurance like to give you a low rate your first 6 months then more the next. Their explanation was it was a "new customer discount" and that I had "circumvented the system" by canceling my policy and getting a new one online.

After some argument they let me keep the new price.
      09-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
roymorales
Private
Rep
Drives: EME TRES

I've have assurance for about 5 years and never got a rate hike. In all honesty it's gone down. I'm not saying they are the best but they have been great with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Esurance like to give you a low rate your first 6 months then more the next. Their explanation was it was a "new customer discount" and that I had "circumvented the system" by canceling my policy and getting a new one online.

After some argument they let me keep the new price.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymorales View Post
I've have assurance for about 5 years and never got a rate hike. In all honesty it's gone down. I'm not saying they are the best but they have been great with me.
Likely would have gone down more then. It's not from my mouth it's from theirs. First 6 months are discounted, followed by a hike or less of a cut (essentially a hike).
      09-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Likely would have gone down more then. It's not from my mouth it's from theirs. First 6 months are discounted, followed by a hike or less of a cut (essentially a hike).
I remember that being one of the big complaints several years back to. Big hikes after the first 6 months.
Appreciate 0