BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Anybody have any job ideas?

I just found out that my contract position cannot be renewed for 90 days...so I'm ready for a change. I just don't know what to look for...this board has such a wealth of knowledgeable people that I thought I'd ask here...and if anybody's hiring

Here's what I've been up to:

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

WORKFORCELOGIC for GOOGLE, INC., Mountain View, CA February 2006-present
Quality Rater
• Employed off-site in Richmond, VA
• Evaluate and analyze web searches in German and English
• Research possible query outcomes
• Give written performance feedback based on search queries and analysis
• Assist in streamlining operations from a searcher’s perspective by marking useless links for possible removal
• Recipient of performance-based bonus in January 2006

SECRET SHOPPERS SERVICE, Virginia Beach, VA April 2004-present
Mystery Shopper
• Pose as a regular car wash customer at all locations of a locally based car wash chain
• Evaluate performance of associates, machinery, and facilities
• Prepare written reports for client

WORLD ACCESS SERVICE CORP., Richmond, VA July 2000-August 2003, June 2005-May 2006
Remittance Coordinator
• Examined, translated, and paid international health insurance claims for Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association
• Established and maintained contacts with foreign medical providers
• Worked closely with Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association member plans to negotiate inpatient hospital payment amounts
• Use of specific medical terminology
• Founding member of Foreign Language Advisory Committee, used to screen new applicants for language knowledge prior to employment; worked closely with Management to determine level of fluency needed to perform
• Developed new data list in AS/400 system to simplify production of claims for the German language, resulting in quicker turnaround times for the department
• Trained new associates
• Audited all work of trainees in department

JOHN TYLER COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Midlothian, VA July 2004-September 2004
Adjunct Professor
• Taught History survey courses
• Created two-hour classroom period lesson plans
• Controlled classroom disciplinary procedures
• Administered exams and projects; evaluated students’ performance
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

EDUCATION:

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Richmond, VA Master of Arts degree in History with concentration in Modern European/Antebellum Southern History, May 2004
• Inducted as Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society member, Beta Mu Chapter

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Richmond, VA
Bachelor of Arts degree in German with History minor, May 2000
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

COMPUTER EXPERIENCE:

MS Office; Office 07; AS/400; PeopleSoft CRM, IBM VisualInfo, Empire BlueWeb ITS, MacOS

LANGUAGES:

Fluency in spoken and written German
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Good luck, Spider. You seem like a smart guy, I'm sure whatever you choose to do, you'll do well.

You have 2 options, I guess you could explore both:
1. Use your MA, and teach - college or HS - history, German
2. Use your German skills and do the international business thing, join a corporation (or smaller company) that does a lot of business with or within Germany.

Unless you want to do more school; it may be required if you choose to teach.

Where do you want to be in 10 years? 20? What do you have to do now, to get there? You get what you settle for.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Spider: I thought you said 'I'm alright Spider'
Tommy: This f'n kid
Spider: [hesitating] Why don't you go fu-k yourself, Tommy?
[stunned silence]
Jimmy Conway: WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.
[tosses money on the table]
Jimmy Conway: That's the way. You don't take no sh-t from nobody.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You're working for Google and trying to switch jobs? You're not on the main Google "campus" so that's the only reason I could think of for you possibly wanting to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Marven
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Sedan

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry, I dont mean this to be rude....

I just dont understand why folks spend a TON of money on history or political science degrees. They always have issues finding employment...I personally went to college (not University..) and took Systems...Thankfully the timing was right with technology...I've never had a problem finding a job...I just feel bad for you but what can do with that educational background?

There is a HUGE shortage in the trades. The computer field in saturated, unless you are developer. Personally if I could go back I would be a mechanic, electrician or something similar...once you learn a trade you can save soooo much money in your own personal life with your house not to mention starting your own business..Xray or MRI techs also make a TON of money.

Again sorry I dont mean to offend or be rude...just trying to give a message for the younger guys who are still in school..
      03-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marven View Post
Sorry, I dont mean this to be rude....

I just dont understand why folks spend a TON of money on history or political science degrees. They always have issues finding employment...I personally went to college (not University..) and took Systems...Thankfully the timing was right with technology...I've never had a problem finding a job...I just feel bad for you but what can do with that educational background?

There is a HUGE shortage in the trades. The computer field in saturated, unless you are developer. Personally if I could go back I would be a mechanic, electrician or something similar...once you learn a trade you can save soooo much money in your own personal life with your house not to mention starting your own business..Xray or MRI techs also make a TON of money.

Again sorry I dont mean to offend or be rude...just trying to give a message for the younger guys who are still in school..
Sometimes I think about quitting my job...and becoming a BMW mechanic!

Then I look at my bills at home...and realize I can't afford downtime so I have to stay in my current job.
Appreciate 0