BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

02-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '00 MCoupe, '11 E90 M3

Looking for E90...Opinions on some available options...

Hey guys...New to the E9X M3 forums...Looking for a 2009-2011 E90.

Have been focusing on 6MT variants...but...have opened the search to DCT, as well...still undecided.

I have (3) current examples I've been considering.

1) 2010 AW/Fox(ext) 58k 6MT...18"...most options, excluding power seats, folding rears, and sunshades. Has Individual stereo. Asking $34k, thinking $31k.

2) 2011 Space Gray/Fox 62k DCT...ZCP...most options...has HiFi stereo. Includes aftermarket warranty good to 99k FWIW. ~$32k

3) 2011 Jerez/Fox 58k 6MT...18"...similar options to AW car...Worried about Jerez upkeep. Asking $38k, seems like $32k is more appropriate.

Would love to find AW, Interlagos/LM, or Space Gray with Fox or 2-tone interior...6MT...most options, 18" is fine...Under $34k, under 60k.

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

I'd recommend you test drive both transmissions before you keep looking. That will help you narrow down what you're looking for. If your heart is set on a 6MT, don't compromise, be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I drove a DCT, just the other day (Coupe)...I found it to be very smooth, except on quick slow speed stop-start transitions. I did not mind it...but...

I believe (fear), that after the initial "newness", I would simply end up driving it like an automatic.

We also have an '13 X3 (auto), '06 E61 (auto), and I have a '00 Z3M with Euro 6MT...I also raced a '92 325is 5MT...So I have a pretty good feel for BMW transmissions, over time. DCT is new to me...I just don't see it as a manual tranny...I know the technical aspects, I'm simply referring to the driving experience (although it was only a test drive).

I'm just trying to gauge a feel for the market, with the input from the M3 community...with many others that have bought used E90s hanging about!

Thanks,
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I'd recommend you test drive both transmissions before you keep looking. That will help you narrow down what you're looking for. If your heart is set on a 6MT, don't compromise, be patient.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
I drove a DCT, just the other day (Coupe)...I found it to be very smooth, except on quick slow speed stop-start transitions. I did not mind it...but...

I believe (fear), that after the initial "newness", I would simply end up driving it like an automatic.

We also have an '13 X3 (auto), '06 E61 (auto), and I have a '00 Z3M with Euro 6MT...I also raced a '92 325is 5MT...So I have a pretty good feel for BMW transmissions, over time. DCT is new to me...I just don't see it as a manual tranny...I know the technical aspects, I'm simply referring to the driving experience (although it was only a test drive).

I'm just trying to gauge a feel for the market, with the input from the M3 community...with many others that have bought used E90s hanging about!

Thanks,
-Mark
I had a DCT e90 2 years ago and then I sold it and got 6MT instead. The DCT was fun for the first couple of months then it became like a normal automatic transmission performance car. It was also new to me so I thought new must be good. However, I started to lose interest in the car over the time. On the other hand, 6MT keeps me excited everytime I drive the car until this day!

Point is get what you like to drive and don't settle down just because you can't find one. Do more test drives until you are convinced which transmission to get
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Hey guys...New to the E9X M3 forums...Looking for a 2009-2011 E90.

Have been focusing on 6MT variants...but...have opened the search to DCT, as well...still undecided.

I have (3) current examples I've been considering.

1) 2010 AW/Fox(ext) 58k 6MT...18"...most options, excluding power seats, folding rears, and sunshades. Has Individual stereo. Asking $34k, thinking $31k.

2) 2011 Space Gray/Fox 62k DCT...ZCP...most options...has HiFi stereo. Includes aftermarket warranty good to 99k FWIW. ~$32k

3) 2011 Jerez/Fox 58k 6MT...18"...similar options to AW car...Worried about Jerez upkeep. Asking $38k, seems like $32k is more appropriate.

Would love to find AW, Interlagos/LM, or Space Gray with Fox or 2-tone interior...6MT...most options, 18" is fine...Under $34k, under 60k.

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark

Welcome.

To be frank, the Fox Red interior is highly sought-after. You will pay a premium for it and you might have to wait a while to find one, especially in sedan form. I would avoid black exterior paint as it is indeed a nightmare to keep clean and swirl-free. I consider myself pretty anal about keeping a car clean, and figured I could handle a black car -- I sold it after a year and vowed never to own one again.

As to your fears about just using the DCT as an auto, I have pretty much never done it in my 4 years of ownership. Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I didn't use manual mode. The Dinan DCT tune does sharpen things up a bit and can be had for a few hundred bucks if you really think it needs improvement. As others have said, if you're on the fence, take a few more test drives and don't settle.

FYI I may be selling my 2011.5 sedan soon. It's AW on black leather, ZCP, DCT, Individual Audio, etc. I'm in Chicago so not too far from you.
      02-25-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Welcome.

To be frank, the Fox Red interior is highly sought-after. You will pay a premium for it and you might have to wait a while to find one, especially in sedan form. I would avoid black exterior paint as it is indeed a nightmare to keep clean and swirl-free. I consider myself pretty anal about keeping a car clean, and figured I could handle a black car -- I sold it after a year and vowed never to own one again.

As to your fears about just using the DCT as an auto, I have pretty much never done it in my 4 years of ownership. Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I didn't use manual mode. The Dinan DCT tune does sharpen things up a bit and can be had for a few hundred bucks if you really think it needs improvement. As others have said, if you're on the fence, take a few more test drives and don't settle.

FYI I may be selling my 2011.5 sedan soon. It's AW on black leather, ZCP, DCT, Individual Audio, etc. I'm in Chicago so not too far from you.
Thanks for the input...I'll keep your car in mind. Is it in an online gallery anywhere? I kinda wish the Space Gray car had Individual Audio, Comfort Access, and PDC...but...I can live without these things (probably upgrade the audio, at least).

TA
-Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Thanks for the input...I'll keep your car in mind. Is it in an online gallery anywhere? I kinda wish the Space Gray car had Individual Audio, Comfort Access, and PDC...but...I can live without these things (probably upgrade the audio, at least).

TA
-Mark

No, but I sent you a private message with a few photos.

Agreed that Individual Audio probably isn't a deal-breaker since you have plug-and-play stuff from Bavsound that can match or maybe even beat it. I think Comfort Access and PDC are must-haves for a DD. I've always been a bit annoyed the car didn't have a backup camera.

Last edited by dparm; 02-25-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Brentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW e90 M3 Competition

IMO, must have options are individual audio and EDC. EDC brings the car up to date and soaks up annoying road issues. Had a 2015 535 sport and it drove worse on certain stretches of roads. Premium audio because people don't like buying cars with tampered electronics on BMWs.

ZCP and 2011.5+ is nice too.
Appreciate 0