BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

10-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #23
DFW_MThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT/Audi A4 Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Grey btw, should you have the Carly app there is a engine parameter that says "raw oil level" or something like that. We're a bunch who have been playing around with this and it seems this provide a oil level indication which is helpful in addition to our gauge. It also presents it immediately rather than like the gauge waiting for ever. Seems to be 32.6-32.9 isch at full gauge bar but there are other measured levels to be found on the forum.

Cheers
Nice, I will have to get the App then... Anything that can supplement our "iffy" gauges would allow for better piece of mind.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.GREY View Post
FYI..the BMW shop has had the car since last night, they advised that whoever changed the oil last did not replace the rubber gasket that was on the oil cap, and that was the source of my problems.

This is not what i expected, as I saw no oil coming from that high in the engine bay.. but they insisted they checked the car through and through, performed a proper oil/filter change, washed the engine bay and drove the car/let it run a bit and still no additional leakage.

They also said the car is in excellent shape overall, and if any leaks should pop up later they warranty their work.

Happy that it was not a major deal, but still a bit skeptical.

I am glad you sorted it out that easy! Did they change the Oil Filter Rubber or oil cap rubber? Usually you do not change the oil cap one. And make sure that your oil filter tighten up 45NM torque not 25NM like it is used to!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #25
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

Oil leak at 80K

Sometime in 2017, I took my car in for a check up at the dealer for something else, they told me there was oil leak from head gasket and it needs to be replaced. But since I didn't see an oil drops on the floor, and I don't trust the dealer, I just ignored.

But starting last month, I noticed increase in oil drops on the floor and I could literally see oil meter dropping while driving on the freeway.

After reading this thread, I tried replacing the oil cap and it cost me $24 including shipping. And now, there is no oil leak anymore.

It could have been $2k at the dealer, but fixed it for $24. Thanks to you all.
Appreciate 0