BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-21-2023, 11:51 PM   #1
gaz_0001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2012 DCT ZCP

Does Anyone Recognise these noises? M3 E92 Rear End Knocking

Hi Everyone,

Would like to know if anyone recognises these noises that I have on my M3 2012 E92 DCT.

I have 2 Distinct Noises.
They are both coming from the back end, and seem to come when the back end is moving, ie damping. Not so much on large bumps, like a speed hump.

I took this video on a road made from small bricks, one of those pedestrian and vehicle hybrid type roads.
It's kinda rough and bumpy in nature.

You can hear the knocking and bumping throughout.

The squeeking is a high pitch squeak, and the video captures it very well.
The knocking noise is not captured as accurately,audio wise.
The best way I can explain it (and this is quite weird) is it's like one of those metal wheely trays in restaurants that are stacked with metal trays, glasses plates etc. When someone walks into it, and you can hear everything rattling and clanging against the metal frame.

Just to add, that's I had quite a bit of maintenance done, roughly 200 miles prior to theses noises appearing, and my initial though was that it was related to that work.
I had engine mounts, gearbox mounts, front sway bars, centre prop shaft mount and bush, rear discs and shoe, and rear subframe bushings.

When I returned to the garage, my first line of investigation was those rear subframe bushings and the work they did to actually get to them.
But the garage is steering away from this.

Last edited by gaz_0001; 10-22-2023 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Can you share what type of rear subframe bushings, engine and transmission mounts you had installed?

Do you have confidence the shop torqued the suspension screws/bolts to the proper torque specs and while place under load where required?

Any chance you can film a video under the rear suspension area just to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong?
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here

Last edited by Theodore; 10-22-2023 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
gaz_0001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2012 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Can you share what type of rear subframe bushings, engine and transmission mounts you had installed?

Do you have confidence the shop torqued the suspension screws/bolts to the proper torque specs and while place under load where required?

Any chance you can film a video under the rear suspension area just to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong?
Hi Theodore,

Thanks for your reply.

I paid for all Original BMW parts, and I don't have reason to believe they installed anything other than. I the past, when I have suggested using OEM parts, they have always been unable to obtain them.

The garage is the best that's available in country, but no, I do not have confidence. A lot of issues I have had to use this forum or YouTube videos to point them in the right direction.
The collective knowledge of this forum is better than the garage.

The garage suspects that the squeak is interior related, back drivers side and wants to dismantle the interior. And best guess for the knocking was a screw for the exhaust hitting on the metal protector above. But that screw, whilst close to the metal, it's right in the middle of the car, and I'm almost certain that both the squeak and the knocking are coming from rear drivers corner.

I will do an under car video tomorrow and post it up.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0