BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #23
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Challenges:
- mechanical: easily sorted with part numbers as the chassis was offered with both
- electrical: Somewhat easy, SSP & PIB documents available in ISTA/D to determine necessary DME repinning. No unique harness, all from OEM.
- Programming: change VO and reprogram/recode as necessary. From the DME's perspective the program area is identical between cars, only the calibration area is different and it's a single 8bit value in two different locations (1 ignition/1 injection side).

A member just did this on M5Board from SMG -> 6MT. It was actually done in a weekend.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
L4ces337.00
      07-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Lol @ people thinking a 2001 Honda Civic manual is better than an E9x. If that's the case, you need to fix your car.

I've owned almost half dozen MT BMWs since the E36 days. Never have I felt the BMW MT was inferior to a pedestrian Honda's. It's not as crisp as a stock Porsche MT but it is damn good.
They probably have leak legs, I hate soft Asian clutches, feels like nothing is there. Like banging a loose...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #25
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razif View Post
Hello everyone.

Going to be a long thread, but its a plan for a very rare project, might be worth to cont reading .

My love for manual cars is so deep that I am seriously considering this.

I have a 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP and I plan to convert it to manual by changing the gearbox and other stuffs. I am from Malaysia and there is no manual here at all, so there is no choice to buy one. Not even 1 Manual, damn lazy Malaysians...This is the only way to get a manual e92 here, Can't buy new anyway, since its out of production.

Bought this car around 2 years ago, even back then, I already ask a shop and he says it's possible, he had even done it on a 335i e90 (which in my book isn't that much different than the m3, cause the electronic stuffs is similar).

2 years ago when I asked the shop, he said his friend have a totalled car from Japan which is a Manual m3 and he could do the conversion with the parts from that car. He has done a ton of e36 and e46s plus one 335i conversion.

Fast and furious tokyo drift forward 2 years later, I have asked him again about the totalled Japan car but he has yet to comfirm with me if the car is available now, I hope it is available. Im quite sure at least the transmission is available since no one ever want manual here lol.

I never drove or felt the manual in the E92 M3 before. However, from what I read here and there, a lot of people say the manual in m3 is not the best. They compare it to porches and stuff. For example, a new m6 owner says the manual in his m6 is so much better than his old e9x m3.

Another important question I want to ask is , does a transmission that sits in a totalled car for a long time (say 5 years) goes bad? or it's not affected? Or perhaps the affects is minimal and can be ignored?

I would just love to be able to drive manual, its just that putting the gear in with a stick feeling, but if the 6mt in m3 is bad I might even pass.

Still,I'm seriously considering the conversion. If I go with the conversion, I will most likely get the UCP clutch replacement soon after.

Keep in mind the labor here is much cheaper than USA. So it's is not thatttt expensive to do this job here. Total cost for the complete conversion is around $5k USD.

Is the manual in m3 so much worse compared to Porsche or some hondas for example?

Thanks for your time.
Razif
I had an SMG 1 E36 M3 Euro (1997 Italian spec) which I purchased in Dubai. The SMG pump was a slouch, would overheat on track (and then gave up the ghost) and I ended up converting to manual. That car was easier as we had to insert springs in the gear shifter lever (for 1-2 and for Reverse), making holes in the tanny for the springs, clutch/slave cyl, adding a clutch pedal, short shifter etc. It went well but I realized there is a yaw sensor and what nots attached to the then 1997 car. Had to retune the car too. Was NOT easy and labor in Dubai was cheap as well (I had my own shop back then). I wrote my feedback on bimmerforums under the Euro E36 section back then (under Lutfy).

Is it doable? Yes and eventually yes but I DOUBT you will be able to. I now have a DCT car and am GLAD I got this vs the 6mt. Nothing against the 6mt but the DCT in this car is just amazeballs (everyone is entitled to their opinion am sharing mine). Grass is greener, if I had to even make a remote suggestion for your conversion, DONT do it. Like I said there were a LOT of electrical gremlins we had to deal with the then E36 chassis to make it work and no one has every go around this so not sure you want to be the prime suspect here. If you MUST, sell it and import another used manual car.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #26
Razif
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah idk if I wanna go with it too.

The owner of the shop has done a 335i e9x conversion as stated earlier, I suppose the electronics will be similar.

Selling the car doesn't seem to be an option or something I wanna do. Cause I have put a akra full system which cost quite a lot, plus te37 wheels. Another main reason is , if I wanna import a car I wont be able to inspect it.

Maybe yes If I go to UK or something, but then there is not much manual car in the UK so it is not a real option. Plus UK is not small, might have to do domestic flights just to inspect car etc etc. Really something I dont plan on doing.

Perhaps I wont do it after all. And just drive it in S mode and using the shifter to shift (pretenting its a manual...lol....)

Anyone knows if a transmission that has been sitting long is bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

All a transmission which has been sitting 5 years needs is a tranny fluid change. It isn't any worse than a car that sat for 5 years
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #28
140M
Norway
Rep
Drives: 140M V8RS

Hi

I have just done the opposite, 6mt-dct.
It's possible to do the swap, but i can't see any reason to do so. DCT is just a better gearbox in the m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #29
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Challenges:
- mechanical: easily sorted with part numbers as the chassis was offered with both
- electrical: Somewhat easy, SSP & PIB documents available in ISTA/D to determine necessary DME repinning. No unique harness, all from OEM.
- Programming: change VO and reprogram/recode as necessary. From the DME's perspective the program area is identical between cars, only the calibration area is different and it's a single 8bit value in two different locations (1 ignition/1 injection side).

A member just did this on M5Board from SMG -> 6MT. It was actually done in a weekend.
Calibration is the same whether DCT or manual. If you'd like - PM me which byte you think is different per side.. M3 MSS60 is one of the few cars which doesn't have a specific transmission designation in the software.

The MSS65 V10 platform on the other hand has a few bytes changed and will not run properly without out the right transmission parameters set in calibration. (Will throw SMG CAN faults) If I recall correctly the MSS54 is the one that has one 8bit value per side designating SMG or manual.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #30
Wasusr
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 F87

Are you still wanna swap to Manual. I have e90 m3 with manual and want to swap to dct. I live in BKk thailand so, it is very easy to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razif View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah idk if I wanna go with it too.

The owner of the shop has done a 335i e9x conversion as stated earlier, I suppose the electronics will be similar.

Selling the car doesn't seem to be an option or something I wanna do. Cause I have put a akra full system which cost quite a lot, plus te37 wheels. Another main reason is , if I wanna import a car I wont be able to inspect it.

Maybe yes If I go to UK or something, but then there is not much manual car in the UK so it is not a real option. Plus UK is not small, might have to do domestic flights just to inspect car etc etc. Really something I dont plan on doing.

Perhaps I wont do it after all. And just drive it in S mode and using the shifter to shift (pretenting its a manual...lol....)

Anyone knows if a transmission that has been sitting long is bad?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #31
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasusr View Post
Are you still wanna swap to Manual. I have e90 m3 with manual and want to swap to dct. I live in BKk thailand so, it is very easy to drive.
Dude, just message him.
This is a 2 year old thread. He probably doesn't own the car anymore!

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #32
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Factory M3 owner, manual trans. From my experience 30 years driving manual cars (heel and toe anytime, on any road, in traffic or on a track but i don't track the M3). I think the weak link is the dual mass flywheel in the M3, not the transmission. Mine has gone bad, and actually showed early sign of being problematic right from the factory (bought new euro-delivery in 2013). i can tell from rough shifts and oscillatory like torque response after a shift that one of the flywheel circularly mounted springs or its stopper has failed. This has happened under original bmw factory warranty, but bmw failed me and refused to investigate it under warranty. A young unexperienced regional (states side) bmw engineer drove my car, without my presence (i never had a chance to meet him) escaped the issue by emailing me :the clutch is a wear item:. The nerve. All independent mechanics, three in total, told me after driving my car that's not a clutch issue.
So you want to get 6MT or DCT either way is fine. 6MT works just fine. But beware the dual mass flywheel in the E9x. I don't know if only some of them defectively built and others not. It is the weak link. Some DCT issues probably come from failing DM flywheels. Once the spring(s) that smooth out engine torque after a shift is broken, the poor dct gets more beating from the engine which cannot be good for it.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-10-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #33
MightyM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I don't know a single person who compares the E92 M3 gearbox to that of a Porsche... I have friends with 911's and Spyders and let me tell you, HOLY SHIT. The trannys on those are AMAZING, so direct, precise, and short throws. No guessing what gear you are going in. The E92 m3 has a very sloppy shift feel, and when aggressively driving it can sometimes be difficult to downshift/revmatch and smoothly enter a turn. I am currently upgrading to an Autosolutions SSK which should help with this. If you are planning on doing the upgrade don't play around, get an M5 shift knob, order a Autusolutions SSK with proper bushings and BOOM, you are good to go. But the M3 shifter is nothing to rave about....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #34
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyM3 View Post
I don't know a single person who compares the E92 M3 gearbox to that of a Porsche... I have friends with 911's and Spyders and let me tell you, HOLY SHIT. The trannys on those are AMAZING, so direct, precise, and short throws. No guessing what gear you are going in. The E92 m3 has a very sloppy shift feel, and when aggressively driving it can sometimes be difficult to downshift/revmatch and smoothly enter a turn. I am currently upgrading to an Autosolutions SSK which should help with this. If you are planning on doing the upgrade don't play around, get an M5 shift knob, order a Autusolutions SSK with proper bushings and BOOM, you are good to go. But the M3 shifter is nothing to rave about....
Sloppy is not the word i would use, mine is too tight, i guess notchy. It won't slide in without drama and almost always with latency, feeling like it's stopping on a shoulder before it slides in. I am quite good at heel and toe and can rev match in my sleep but the rpm window for getting each gear in without meeting resistance/latency is narrow at given speed. If you did not revmatch to exactly the right rpm, you will meet resistance for 1/2 sec before it let you sink it in, which is a long time when trying to be fast, a bit less if you force it in (which i never do). But i think the problem is NOT the transmission and not the clutch, it's the DM flywheel. The planetary springs in the DMF are supposed to filter the engine torsional forces (uneven torque) somewhat to make shifts easier/faster. Like everything else in this car, the M division spent all their efforts on the S65 and for the rest of parts set the bar much lower, ran out of time or money. While bmw is cheaper than porsche at first sight. It is not a better value (worse in fact). There's definitively a lot less effort and grade going into many of its parts. A porsche is a much more rounded design without weaknesses. The DMF dictates that the clutch in the M3 is springless. DMF are notorious to be troublesome. It may not fail but once spring fatigue sets in, its characteristics degrade, which it is notorious for doing prematurely, then you get all the kinds of issues we have with the 6MT or DCT who suffer the consequence of harsh mechanical coupling.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-11-2019 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0