BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
Kaarmagfx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

DCT potential problem?? Not too sure what the issue could be.

So I have an 11' e92 m3 DCT and this is the second time this issue has occured in my 2 and a half months of ownership. I parked my car, turned it off. When I went back to my car I turn it on it starts up perfectly fine and its even idling fine. Here's where the problem happens. While I have my foot down on the brake I put it into drive, but as soon as I put it in drive while my foot is still down on the brakes it wants to jerk forward aggressively until it stalls out. Since I had already had this problem before I knew a temporary fix which is unplugging the battery to reset the ecu. I unplug the battery for 2 minutes and plug it back in and my car drove perfectly fine. I could really use someones knowledge on this issue. I already took my car to BMW the first time it happened so they could read my ecu but my car was not throwing any codes. Therefor they could not figure out what was wrong with it. If anyone has some insight as to what this problem could be I would really appreciate it. Also, my car doesn't struggle to get into any gears whatsoever if that helps narrow down the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
There are lots of great BMW Indy Shops in Florida...that can diagnosed the problem.

BMW Dealerships won't open up the DCT to fix internal parts. A new DCT is $12k, plus $2k-3k for the install.

Have the DCT serviced with new fluids and filters at a very good BMW Indy Shop. They might replace the internal wet clutch and/or pump. There is the pan gasket and the side mechatronics gasket that might be sources of a leak (low fluid). There is also a wiring harness at the top with a round rubber o-ring that should also be replaced (source of leaks).

It could also be something as simple as the battery or the fuel pump (under the back seat). My DCT failed at the exact same time as my fuel pump. What are the chances of that? Idiots at the BMW dealership couldn't figure out that maybe the engine stalling and shifting into N, was a failed fuel pump and not a bad DCT. That is a $1K vs $14k difference in costs.

If you need a new DCT, get a low mileage used one from M-Porium in Texas (user Deans Bimmer).

Good luck....a $15k New DCT is painful. I know first hand.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Kaarmagfx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Oof I pray I do not need a new DCT or else I might as well get rid of the car. I'll be sure to check out some shops near me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is no need for a new dct if a swap is needed. Plenty of good low mileaged used dcts between $1200 and $1600 out there.
Appreciate 0