BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

unfamiliar noises from m3

hey guys i stated in my other thread that i just had received my m3 and went from a 335xi to the m3. Now this is my second day owning the car and mind you it was used and came with 10,800k miles.. So at night on my way to drop my girlfriend at home ( it was 2am so everything is very quiet so i can hear many noises i might have missed during drives in the day. So first thing the engine is ALOT louder than my 335... so i started driving and everything was fine i didn't hear any weird noises until i came to a red light.. i slowed down and finally came to a full stop and noticed i heard a weird noise.. kind of like a clicking noise but not really.. ( hard to explain) or kind of like gear changes? but i saw the gear was already at first ( this is not in manual mode but in regular mode) and it wasnt just one noise the same noise happens 3 or 4 times in the time it takes to slow down to come to a full stop. This happened on every red light.. and you can only hear it if you close all your windows and have no music on.. its somewhat quiet but very annoying.. now is this normal? so i finally got home and parked the car a bit annoyed with the noise and not knowing what its from. so after i park the car i put it in neutral and pull up the ebrake, but as i am about to get out of the car i hear a really bad noise kind of like a scrape? ( hard to explain once again..) and it sounded like my ebrake.. so i get back in the car and take off the ebrake and start shaking the car with my weight and i hear no sound... so out of curiosity i put the ebrake back on and start shaking the car again.. and of course the same noise was there.. so now i am pretty sure its my ebrake.. also when i am parking and i have the brake held down (not ebrake) and i turn my wheels it makes bad noise as well kinda like a scraping noise as well (another hard one to describe..)
also another thing i noticed was when i am fully stopped at a light or something and i turn the wheel i notice i kinda hear the engine revv and i see on the rpm the needle jumps up a little when all i am doing is moving the wheel from left to right when i am fully stopped.. is this normal?

so to summarize everything is it normal to hear noises when:
- slowing down to a complete stop like at a red light ( clicking noise somewhat like a gear change, but i am pretty sure gear was already at 1 before the sound started and in normal driving mode not manual)

- parked and have the ebrake up i move and shake the car around with my body weight from inside and i heard kind of like scraping noises and when ebrake is off and i do the same thing no noises.. is this normal?

- when car is fully stopped trying to park i hold down my brake (not ebrake) and i steer the wheel left or right and i hear kind of like a scraping noise or something close to it.. i mean i am thinking it shouldnt make any noise at all..

- car is fully stopped and i turn my wheel left to right and i hear my engine revv lightly and i see the rpm needle jump a little ( very slightly but i can clearly see it is moving)

now mind you tonight it had rained all day so could it have been the water that got in some of the parts that are causing all these noises? the only noise i can honestly say i heard yesterday when there was no rain or anything is the one where i am fully stopped and i hear the car revv and see the rpm needle jump a bit when i steer the wheel. So any advices are appreciated so i can start enjoying my m3 without any worries!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

does your clicking noise sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=NTldnJF4x7k
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

it kinda sounds like the sound it makes starting from 0:35-0:37 but i cant be sure.. mine ONLY happens when i am driving and i am about to make a stop at like a red light.. just about when its about to come to a fully stop it makes like 3 or 4 "clicking noises" but the most close noise i heard from that video was from about the 0:35-0:37 mark. but again i have only heard it from inside the car and not outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

can anyone help me?!?! also i noticed the engine makes alot of whirrring noises.. thats the best i can explain it as.. like a eeeee noise... is this normal from the engine? my 335 made no noises such as this and this doesnt sound too much like how the engine should sound.. please someone reassure me!...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
kouhii
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

why don't u post a video of your engine noise.

As far as I can tell if your car has the tick sounds in the video when the engine is warm. Your car's main bearings needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouhii View Post
why don't u post a video of your engine noise.

As far as I can tell if your car has the tick sounds in the video when the engine is warm. Your car's main bearings needs to be replaced.
+1 Can't tell anything from a written description. We need to hear it. If you can't do a video, even audio would help. But, with some things, you just have to be there in person to hear it. Do you know any "car guys" who can give it a listen? What about others in your area with M3s to compare it too?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
+1 Can't tell anything from a written description. We need to hear it. If you can't do a video, even audio would help. But, with some things, you just have to be there in person to hear it. Do you know any "car guys" who can give it a listen? What about others in your area with M3s to compare it too?
yea i posted up a thread looking for guys around my area.. hope it works..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

for ebrake, if you parked on a hill, then you can hear that noise.
your car is DCT right? Double Clutch Tranny, so when you shift down or even if it automatically shits down, the RPM revs a little.
a noise it makes when you are slowing down... i don't know about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well i just bought the car from the dealer 3 days ago used... im afraid if i went back to them they will just say its fine and nothing is wrong with it... since these are small noises and not actually malfunctioning things.. and yes my car is DCT and by the RPM revving i stated it happens weirdly when i am fully stopped and i turn my steering wheel from side to side..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

First some answers or attempts to answer the questions:

- slowing down to a complete stop like at a red light ( clicking noise somewhat like a gear change, but i am pretty sure gear was already at 1 before the sound started and in normal driving mode not manual)
Possibly an issue, possibly not. As noted above, have to hear it. This engine is by no means quiet and has some "sewing machine" type noise you don't hear with the 335. From what I recall, that thing, at idle, was quiet as a mouse. Not the S65. There's all kinds of "noise" and my engine is far from being a mouse at idle. But it sounds just like every other S65 I've heard....My wife's S54, which is an I6, makes way the hell more noise than my ex-335 ever did. But, again, that's totally normal for that engine--it sounds like every other S54 I've heard.
- parked and have the ebrake up i move and shake the car around with my body weight from inside and i heard kind of like scraping noises and when ebrake is off and i do the same thing no noises.. is this normal?
Yes, if you don't have the e-brake pulled all the way up it's just some slippage of the brakes on the rotors. Mine does this on occassion. It's user error. Pull up more on the E-brake (and harder). Second, put the e-brake on with the car in neutral before you put it in park (or shut off the car which puts it in park). That will "settle" the brakes more securely.
- when car is fully stopped trying to park i hold down my brake (not ebrake) and i steer the wheel left or right and i hear kind of like a scraping noise or something close to it.. i mean i am thinking it shouldnt make any noise at all..
I have no idea! I'd never hold down the brakes and turn the wheel, or for that matter turn the wheel with the car stopped. That's just super hard on the suspension, steering mechanism, PS pump, etc. Putting the brakes on while doing this just makes matters worse! It's probably your poor PS pump and steering rack saying "dude, please stop hurting me!" Remember the old joke: "Doc, it hurts when I move my arm this way." "Don't move your arm that way."
- car is fully stopped and i turn my wheel left to right and i hear my engine revv lightly and i see the rpm needle jump a little ( very slightly but i can clearly see it is moving)
Consider the fact that you're putting a pretty big load on the PS pump to force parts to move that don't want to move. Think about it. That puts a load on the car. The car is going to compensate by bumping the revs a bit. Since the load isn't constant, it bumps the revs around. (When you turn on the A/C, the car does the same thing, you just don't notice because the load is constant).
I'm not trying to be a d**k, but seriously, given the flurry of "might this be an issue" posts I get the sense something else is going on here. Folks here really want to help, but on the other hand, I'm not sure we're actually helping as things just seem to be going from bad to worse.

Is there some larger concerns about this purchase? From the recent threads/posts it seems like there's an attempt to find every way possible to justify to yourself that this purchase was a bad decision. Either that, or find "flaws" or "major issues" that would allow a person to return the car to the dealer. Has buyers remorse set in for some reason? Is something else going on?

My recommendation is to drive the car and enjoy it! Quit looking for every little thing that might be a noise or an issue--'cause if you keep looking you're sure to find something (a rattle, a hum, a ___ or a ___) that's sure to bug you. Have some fun! This car should be fun, not a nightmare of worry and regret. If that's the case, sell the damn thing, take whatever hit that means as it's not worth it my friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
My recommendation is to drive the car and enjoy it! Quit looking for every little thing that might be a noise or an issue--'cause if you keep looking you're sure to find something (a rattle, a hum, a ___ or a ___) that's sure to bug you.
Absolutely. When you're sure you have a real problem, and IT'S REPEATABLE, then go to a dealer. Otherwise you'll always be miserable with any car. And yes, I was the same way before I wised up .
Appreciate 0