BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Attention all 6 speed MT owners! - 1200 miles service bulletin

Hello!

I just wanted to drop out a line to all 6MT owners about the 1200 mile service visit-

I would like to make sure that everyone makes sure that the dealership of choice is changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the trans fluid filter. I think A LOT of dealerships are not changing the transmission fluid.

If you have not had your 1200 mile service yet, please make sure they do the following! Make sure you stress it to them-

If you have already had your 1200 mile service, please look at your service record to verify that the trans fluid was replaced. There should be parts billed out for trans fluid! If you do not see the parts billed out, then it probably was not done!

Here is the service bulletin that states the PROPER proceedure for the M3 1200 mile service-

Please make sure that your car was serviced right! Im just trying to help you guys/gals out!

-BMW service bulletin- SI B 00 04 08 -Maintenance and General Hints

M3

Reminder for operations needed at the 1200 Mile Service:

Replace the engine oil and oil filter

Replace the transmission oil on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit.

Note: The optional M DCT Drivelogic transmission has a long-term rated oil DCTF-1, which requires no replacement unless specified for a repair.

Remove and clean the transmission filter on the standard-equipment 6-speed manual unit

Replace the differential oil

Repeat these maintenance operations at every 3rd Engine Oil Service.

Note: For M3, M5 and M6 the 1200 Mile Service is counted as the "first" engine oil service. The engine oil nominal interval is approx. 15,000 miles (can vary per CBS). Therefore, the second time the engine oil needs to be changed would be when the vehicle reaches approx. 16,200 mi (1200 + 15,000) mi. Using the same nominal interval, the third oil service would be due at approx. 31,200 mi (actual miles based on CBS). That would coincide with the "Vehicle Check" maintenance operation.

No other models require the 1200 Mile Service. Therefore, all non-M models (except 335d) would need their first engine oil service at approx. 15,000 mi.

Note: The M3's engine air intake filter does NOT need to be replaced at the 1200 Mile Service. Its first scheduled change is at the Engine Oil Service occurring at approx. 16,200 miles, then only required at every other Engine Oil Service thereafter (i.e. at approx. 46,200 mi.).
      05-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Just talked to the SA at my local dealer.

They told me that the 6MT transmission fluid was good for a lifetime and didn't require replacement. Said if I wanted it, it would cost me since it's not covered under the maintenance warranty.

I disagreed, and after some research, they finally came back and said I was right, thanks to your OP. The SA didn't realize there was a separate 6MT 1200 mile checklist that was different from the DCT.

Now, they're checking to see if I got it done at the 1200 mile service. I told them I didn't think so, since I brought it up before, but they're researching it.

Thanks for making this thread, hopefully it helps alot of people out.

UPDATE- It wasn't done for me, and I'm scheduled for one tomorrow. They still said there's no checklist for the transmission service, only the Bulletin.
      05-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I had to fight it too, but I made them do everything the manual said, including replacing the 'microfilter' (air filter, I suppose) . But I agree it's probably unnecessary; wonder why manual mentions it.

Hey John, have a question for you buddy. I'm not going to drive my car much (maybe 3K a year), so will have to get a 'low mileage oil change' every year. But tech said he would NOT reset the system when doing this, so it doesn't trigger a tranny/diff oil change the 3rd time. Does that sound right? I don't know if those 2 oils are fully synthetic or not, but the same time limitation should apply to those oils, no? Just curious. And thanks for posting that, so other owners don't have to fight dealers like I had to. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

John is right. It should be done for the 6spd's.

Check your invoice for the following:

PN# 83-22-0-309-031 1 1 Gearbox Oil
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
John@BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Just talked to the SA at my local dealer.

They told me that the 6MT transmission fluid was good for a lifetime and didn't require replacement. Said if I wanted it, it would cost me since it's not covered under the maintenance warranty.

I disagreed, and after some research, they finally came back and said I was right, thanks to your OP. The SA didn't realize there was a separate 6MT 1200 mile checklist that was different from the DCT.

Now, they're checking to see if I got it done at the 1200 mile service. I told them I didn't think so, since I brought it up before, but they're researching it.

Thanks for making this thread, hopefully it helps alot of people out.

UPDATE- It wasn't done for me, and I'm scheduled for one tomorrow. They still said there's no checklist for the transmission service, only the Bulletin.
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I had to fight it too, but I made them do everything the manual said, including replacing the 'microfilter' (air filter, I suppose) . But I agree it's probably unnecessary; wonder why manual mentions it.

Hey John, have a question for you buddy. I'm not going to drive my car much (maybe 3K a year), so will have to get a 'low mileage oil change' every year. But tech said he would NOT reset the system when doing this, so it doesn't trigger a tranny/diff oil change the 3rd time. Does that sound right? I don't know if those 2 oils are fully synthetic or not, but the same time limitation should apply to those oils, no? Just curious. And thanks for posting that, so other owners don't have to fight dealers like I had to. Take care.
The owners manual, says change all 3 fluids and replace the engine air filter-

If you have your key read at the time of the service, it is going to tell the advisor what is due- Usually it is an oil change, run-in service, and the microfilters.

Since BMWs key readers are not extremely accurate- it may or may not tell you that you are due for a micro filter change- Usually this can be considered corrupt CBS data and it is up to the dealership to determine if it is really needed or not-

As far as the oil change goes- when BMW does an "annual" oil change, they drain the engine oil and replace it- that is IT. They do NOT replace the oil filter during a by-time oil change. At very least, since it is ultimately going to take you over 5 years to complete your first service (16,200mls), your servicing requirements are going to be far different than the normal daily driver. You will be paying for almost all of your scheduled maintenance. It doesnt mean a whole lot- just change the trans fluid and rear end every 3 years or sooner- I like changing my oil every 6 months regardless of miles. The oil is not expensive and its easy to do-(plus i like feeling how super light the drain bolts are!!)
      05-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Check your invoice for the following:
PN# 83-22-0-309-031 1 1 Gearbox Oil
Well, my invoice has that p/n, but for the TRANNY (quantity 2). The DIFF p/n I have is 83-22-1-467-993 (quantity 1). Maybe John can set the record straight. Or maybe the tech just swapped the numbers on the invoice by mistake. All I know is he used a big 5-qt jug for the tranny; I doubt tech swapped oils.

And John, thanks a lot for your answer. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-22-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
any idea what the BMW service bulletin number is?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
wheelman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
any idea what the BMW service bulletin number is?
That would be really helpful in my battle with my SA. Thanks.
      05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
John@BMW
Rep

The service bulletin is SI B 00 04 08 -Maintenance and General Hints
      05-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
John@BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, my invoice has that p/n, but for the TRANNY (quantity 2). The DIFF p/n I have is 83-22-1-467-993 (quantity 1). Maybe John can set the record straight. Or maybe the tech just swapped the numbers on the invoice. All I know is he used a big 5-qt jug for the tranny; I doubt he used the wrong one, to be honest.

And John, thanks a lot for your answer. Take care.
It looks like you had your service done correctly! The transmission fluid comes in a larger jug that the draw from and fill the trans up until fluid starts over flowing from the fill plug hole (approx. 2 quarts)

Transmission fluid is PN 83-22-0-309-031
Diff fluid is PN 83-22-1-467-993
      05-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
wheelman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 MT

My invoice shows that the transmission fluid was changed under the Labor listing, but there is no mention of the transmission fluid in the Parts listing. When I asked my SA, he said they changed it. Hmm...
      05-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT

John,

I had the service done today and the part numbers are as follows:
Tranny: 83-22-0-406-941 *(3)
Diff: 83-22-2-282-583 *(8)

Seems to be different from what you listed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
John@BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
John,

I had the service done today and the part numbers are as follows:
Tranny: 83-22-0-406-941 *(3)
Diff: 83-22-2-282-583 *(8)

Seems to be different from what you listed.
Yes, they are different numbers.

The transmission fluid part number that you listed and I listed are both for the same fluid yet in a different amount- For instance, your number ending in 941 is per liter, my part number is the main part number for the huge drum of fluid.

Your diff fluid is completely different- The part number I listed is for the 'original' fluid for the differential. The part number you listed is for bmws 'special' oil that is to be used if a customer complains of the differential making noise- There is a bulletin that says if there is a noise complaint, the diff fluid should be changed from the 993 fluid to the 583 fluid. It looks as if you got the special alternate fluid.

For future reference, BMW has different part numbers for different volumes of fluid. This makes is easier for some people and more confusing for others.
      05-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
///M3Joe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post

The transmission fluid part number that you listed and I listed are both for the same fluid yet in a different amount- For instance, your number ending in 941 is per liter, my part number is the main part number for the huge drum of fluid.

Your diff fluid is completely different- The part number I listed is for the 'original' fluid for the differential. The part number you listed is for bmws 'special' oil that is to be used if a customer complains of the differential making noise- There is a bulletin that says if there is a noise complaint, the diff fluid should be changed from the 993 fluid to the 583 fluid. It looks as if you got the special alternate fluid.

For future reference, BMW has different part numbers for different volumes of fluid. This makes is easier for some people and more confusing for others.

I just had my 1200 mile service as well today. My parts description said

20 - 83-22-9-415-961 LSD SYN Diff
20 - 83-22-0-406-582 OIL Manual

These numbers arwe completely different than those mentioned above. How come? My service was done in Canada.
      05-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey John,

Just checked my record from a year ago (5/27/2008) and the trans oil wasn't changed. Now that I have moved to a different state, can the dealer here still do it for me at no charge?

Also, could this have caused any damage to the transmission?

Thanks for the thread!

Last edited by rzm3; 05-26-2009 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #16
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post

Thank you for verifying the part numbers John!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #17
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Joe View Post

These numbers arwe completely different than those mentioned above. How come? My service was done in Canada.
Mine are the same as your's except that my tranny oil was just called OIL and my diff fluid was called POSI DIFF OIL. That should make us Canucks feel better :P

BTW my car makes the groaning noise from the rear end in low-speed tight turns like in a parking lot, so I'll assume that the above differential oil part number does not have the additive.

As long as it doesn't hurt anything, I'm not worried about it....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Mine just says "ENGINE OIL SERVICE" and that's it. No part numbers or anything like that. Am I in the clear or should I give them a heads up?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just check with your dealer. They have all records.

I got mine changed today, after my dealer back in NY forgot to change it almost a year back.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #20
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Joe View Post

These are correct p/ns for Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #21
///M3Joe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
These are correct p/ns for Canada.
So all fluids got changed on my car.
      06-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

This may be "old news" but it's worth noting that it's still very much an issue. I had my 1,200 service yesterday, and while I went over the items in detail for the service with my SA the mechanic actually only did the diff and engine (not the transmission).

I questioned that, and was very happy that my SA took time to look into it, did some research, and acknowleged they'd missed the transmission. (No hassles, just a postive we messed up what can we do to fix it attitude--that goes a long way with me.) They're dropping off a a loaner to me and picking up my car so that the hassle is minimized. Of course, one time at the dealer would be preferable but they're going the distance to remediate the problem with grace and a good customer service approach--so they still have a very happy customer.

As mentioned above the checklist the mechanics use doesn't have the steps clearly outlined. And most of the cars serviced at my dealer are DCT (no transmission service req'd). So, it's pretty easy to see how this can be overlooked--not to mention the dealer had over 40 cars in yesterday for service...and M3 MTs make up a very small % of vehicles that come through there monthly (if not annually).

Recommendation: In retrospect if I had it to do over again I'd have printed a copy of the SIB from the OP. I'd have reviewed the copy of the SIB itself with the SA; and asked that she staple a copy to the work order. I would have added a little note along with the SIB saying "you probably know this already, but this seems to be a common issue due to the BMW checklist, just FYI"--don't want to piss off the mechanic. While that may not be something we "should not have to do" I think it would go a long way to help avoid this issue for others. I suspect most dealers/service depts. want to do the right thing but the protocol/steps and service volume make this not clear to them and a reminder done in friendly manner might help. Hey, this approach is worth a shot--nothing to lose.
Appreciate 0