BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

05-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Job offer?

So, I was at the Honda Dealership three weeks ago shopping for a new car for the parents. A sales woman approached us told us about the new accord and civic. We test drove a few here and there. I asked a few questions, and after having told her that the new civic has a 140 hp I-4. She pretty much said "can I get your phone number, I would like to possibly hire you as a salesman here." It turns out this women the hiring manager at Capitol Honda and she pretty much offered me a job once I turn 18. So I was wondering if it's worth it? How much $$$ is expected with working around 32-40 hours a week. And exactly how much is commission?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

take it.. great weekend job.. Most of the money is commissions, you get like $100/week salary probably.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Maybe by the time you work your way up to sales manager the NSX will come out and you can drive it for free!!!!

Do some homework before you take it. Go to different dealerships around your area and see how it is. If you know about cars then you will be golden. Every salesperson ive came across knows jack sh** about the cars they are selling. What do they do all day long?? If you can even name the engine in the car and give me some hp and tq numbers and maybe even 0-60 times and what not I will be sold. It will be work wheeling and dealing with people but it could be worth it with all the sales you will probably get.
Give it a try. Worst case you dont enjoy it and quit. Right back where you started with some extra cash and an experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

The thing is in all honesty. I'm a huge honda guy since I grew up with them. It was only up until a few years ago when I drove an M3 is when the BMW enthusiast inside of me came out. Not to speak too high of myself, but at being only 17 I know about every honda except the damn mini-van!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

expect no holidays off, stress, and depending on your dealer backstabbing sales reps. Tho it is a damn good paying job (if you can sell cars) for no college degree and it is also a career path. It is a great summer job, especially if you have a business related major, this can serve as a payed internship.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Shocker
1 in the Stink
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malves85 View Post
Maybe by the time you work your way up to sales manager the NSX will come out and you can drive it for free!!!!
+1

I say go for it man! Do your homework and never lose the edge, know your cars in and out. Nothing pisses me off more than if I walk into a dealership and I know more about the car in question than the sales associate. Granted if I really want a vehicle I do alot of homework, but that means that they should be doing theirs as well. I mean, its their job, if you were selling encyclopedias, I think the person at the door, if they were remotely interested, would like to know more than just the title of the company and your name. Sales people get too lax with their jobs and expect the sales to come to them, you have to go and get it! But don't take it too far, I knew a used dealership in Colorado Springs, CO, where if you even drove thru they would come out and almost run up to the car. That's desperation, don't ever take it that far!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Yeah, it's just that I am currently an employed. Although at around $9.50 an hour I think I can take a risk. I expect if I do my homework right, get around 3-5 sales a week. I would probably yield mid to high 6 figures for my yearly income. Seeing as how my income was only around 11k last year. I am desperate to do anything!!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

sounds about right, I grossed 80+k my first year selling toyota. Gotta love that mark up on the prius.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
...and after having told her that the new civic has a 140 hp I-4. She pretty much said "can I get your phone number, I would like to possibly hire you as a salesman here." It turns out this women the hiring manager at Capitol Honda...
similar thing happened to me when i leased my last bmw; after i wrote out the exact terms of the lease, including even the mf reduction for msds, the finance manager, kiddingly i will admit, asked me when i could start there. he must have been impressed (to the point of catatonia) because he didn't even flinch at the fact that i had given them no mark-up on the acq. fee and mf:headbang:.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I hope you don't mind, asked my Avatar. This is what he said;

Summoned here you were....
Learn you will...
Train you will.

Heinz, a choice you will soon have to make!
The dark side I sense in you, but too late it is not.

Ok you are set...
EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

I'd just wait tables. Probably make similar money, work around younger/cooler people. Not near as competitive, and very flexible with going to college.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

From my personal experience selling Toyota's several years ago...run, run away fast. Selling cars is not what you want to be doing, especially if you have a job paying $9.50/hr now. Take a look around at what the sales people actually drive home. Not the borrowed cars their real cars. Most are almost dirt poor and the economy is sucking right now. How many cars do you think you'll sell in a dealership with 15 hungry sales people and only 5 serious buyers a week?

This is only my opinion of the job, there are probably people on here who didn't have it so bad but I was in a big city and most of the sales staff could barely afford lunch...
      05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Well the advantage of living in San Jose is that our economy NEVER dies. Even with making around $100-200 a week. I believe that once the cars start selling, I can probably gross close to 25k by the end of 2008. The sales manager of Capitol Honda drives a 335xi and the other assistant drives a Prelude-SH which is nowhere near a bad car. Shoot for the stars right?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Depends on the dealership and management. Also if you work at high end dealers like BMW or Merc, it's a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Depends on the dealership and management. Also if you work at high end dealers like BMW or Merc, it's a lot better.
I'll second that, the dealership I worked for sucked monkey balls and higher end dealers would probably be more beneficial. You're 17, it's not like you are picking your life long career right now anyway so just have fun. As said above, if it sucks and you're broke all the time, quit...
      05-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

You will learn more than you could imagine in a cut-throat business like car sales. If you don't get chewed up and spit out yourself, you will gain insight into finance, sales (inside and outside), psychology of buyers, high pressure situations.

Just don't lose your integrity imo. 95% of all the car sales staff I have dealt with over the years have been crooks. And if they weren't crooks they were indiots.

A true car guy, who treats people decent, should make a good living, or a good summer wage as it were.

Honda is a great company, that make great cars, and with gas prices up, it should be even more attractive than it is during normal times.

Go for it I say.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
nyknicks11
Rep
Drives:

I was a car salesman at the age of 18 at a Mazda dealership...and I own an RX-8...I was in a similar situation as you are in now...it is a great learning experience but like others said...don't expect too much time off until you've been working there for a year...and you'll be making much more than 9.50 an hour loll...

I say go for it too because I have no regrets about my experience...if you have a passion for cars then there is no better place to work than a car dealership...g'luck
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #18
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Went into Capitol Honda today at 1:30pm. Spoke to the sales managers, I was interviewed. Needless to say, "A position will be available when you turn 18." I was not able to get the internship till I turn 18. But hey, at least I can enjoy a low-paying union job for the next 3 months!! I'm jumping for joy!!

On another note! I get my raise next week, a full $9.50 an hour. With working full time I should bring in $350 a week. /sarcasm

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #19
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
The thing is in all honesty. I'm a huge honda guy since I grew up with them. It was only up until a few years ago when I drove an M3 is when the BMW enthusiast inside of me came out. Not to speak too high of myself, but at being only 17 I know about every honda except the damn mini-van!
Hey hey don't diss the Odyssey. I drove that for a year in HS and let me tell you, the 6cyl VTEC ain't too shabby to say the LEAST. It's like a rock even cruising at 90.

Nice weekend job for an 18 year old, go for it!