BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
I wouldn't wait. We do these tests for a reason. If you don't do the bearings right away I would send another sample in within a thousand miles. It's so easy to pull a couple oz of oil there's no point waiting til the next change when you are throwing that much lead. If it's got high lead after that short run, you may not make it til another change. Not trying to scare you but many failures happen quickly, out of the blue. This uoa may be your only warning. I just got a report back Friday. It's the fourth one I've done on an engine that was installed August 2016. Luckily it's not thrown more than 1 ppm copper or lead, but if I had your report I would make a move.

I don't know why people don't run uoa's much more frequently. Sure they're good for monitoring long term trends but they can also clue you into a major problem if you're lucky enough to take the sample at the right time. The only way to increase the odds of catching an impending failure is to increase the frequency of your testing. The higher the metal numbers are, the more samples I'd send in. It takes five minutes. People will spend $3k on a nearly useless exhaust but scoff at spending $28 a month on oil analisys. Doesn't make sense.
Yeah I'm already prepping. From what I gather theres a place in NJ called CIM that will do the bearings for about $2200. Need to give them a call. I switched to a thinner lighter oil to push me through but yeah, Im worried just trying to find the time to get it done is the problem. I'm not running the car hard just taking an easy until I get them replaced. i would do the work myself I just dont have the resources to do it myself. I hoping in the next 2 months I can get it done