BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

I wanted to share what I think is a new world record 1/4 mile trap speed for E92 M3. I checked the various performance databases and it seems that the current world record is held by Drew (DLSJ5) at 135 MPH. The new trap speed, if confirmed as the new world record, would shatter that old record by an additional 5 MPH to 140.11 MPH.

Here's some of the details.

Some of you may remember Sergei from Russia a while back. He contacted a few engine builders before deciding to use Bert@BE Bearings to build the engine and manage the project for him. Since a lot of the bits and pieces for the project came through my shop, Auto Talent in Los Angeles, we were heavily involved with the project as well. So I think we get some bragging rights here as well.

Engine:
Built by Van Dyne Engineering in Huntington Beach CA

Specifications: 4.5L, 9.5:1 compression ratio. The engine used a custom made crank using extra strong 4340VM material, custom rods by Carrillo to Bert's specs on side clearance and extra strength at the parting lines, custom design pistons by Bert and made by Mahle.

Rod bearings were brand new BE Bearings at the time. Main bearings WPC treated. Heads bolted with head studs, bed plate bolted with main studs.

Cylinder head was ported and polished then fully rebuilt by Van Dyne Engineering. HD valve springs provided by Auto Talent.

Before shipping the engine to Russia, Bert picked up the engine from Van Dyne and brought it to Dinan to break-in and test on their engine dyno. The engine was run naturally aspirated for a few hours to make sure it was healthy and the rings properly seated. After the initial break in, a few power runs were made on the NA engine on stock headers and I think it was stock exhaust. The engine made 465 crank horsepower. That's a very interesting number because it means the engine was probably going to be running really strong. The engine was only 12.5% larger than stock, and it produced exactly 12.5% more horsepower than stock even though it was 9.5:1 compression ratio instead of 12:1. So the engine was running real healthy right from the very start and even the Dinan guys said it was running as strong as some of the race engine S65's they've seen on the dyno.

I know Bert has photos of the engine build and videos of it on the engine dyno. If there's a lot of interest, I'll see if I can get him to make them public somewhere.

Bert wrote all the specs for the crank, rods, and pistons. Writing piston specs and doing all the math to design pistons isn't easy. Ask me, I just had to deal with it again a couple of weeks ago. That's where Bert comes in real handy.

Supercharger:
Started life as ESS VT2. ESS worked with Bert and provided many upgraded pieces for this project. ESS provided a custom modified manifold with extra BOV mount. ESS provided the much larger capacity Vortech V2Ti supercharger which still mounts to their VT2 hardware brackets. ESS also provided upgrades to the pulley system, and newer high capacity injectors for the fuel system.

Van Dyne Engineering provided custom machining to provide oil to the supercharger, and return lines back to the oil pan from the supercharger. This is a requirement of the V2Ti supercharger. Van Dyne modified the supercharger outlet for Hobbs switch needed for upgraded fuel system. Van Dyne also designed and fabricated custom mounting hardware for the ESS manifold to ensure it could not come dislodged from the throttle bodies due to high boost.

My shop, Auto Talent, provided the hardware for oil sending to the supercharger, and custom paint for the ESS custom manifold.

Fuel System:
Designed and built by Drew (DLSJ5). Anybody who's tried to cross the 600 WHP barrier on the car has either blown an engine trying, or found out they needed a custom high capacity fuel system. Lots of shops (ours included) are now using Drew's custom fuel system design.

Results:
Estimated crank horsepower:
The engine output is an estimated 1080 crank horsepower. This was calculated using some proprietary BMW software tools that can read the torque at the crank. From there, it's easy to calculate horsepower. I remember Bert telling me this story about it because I think Bert didn't even believe this number. So he asked Van Dyne if that number made sense, and here's what they said. "The engine runs 465 chp on 1-atmosphere pressure. The boost on this engine in Russia is 1.2 bar, so that's 2.2 atmospheres. So take that 465 chp, and multiply by 2.2 and you get 1025 chp. Add to that big tube headers, and catless free-flow exhaust, and yes 1080 chp is a pretty realistic and very reasonable."

Drag Strip Results:
60-Ft: 1.914 seconds
330-Ft: 4.942 seconds
1/8-Mile: 7.274 @ 105.51 MPH
1000-Ft: 9.227 seconds:
1/4-Mile: 10.858 @ 140.11 MPH
1/2-Mile: 16.306 @ 166.68 MPH

Drag result details:
  • Factory ECU, not standalone
  • Dodson DCT clutches
  • Full weight interior (not stripped)
  • Full gas tank
  • 100 RON Gasoline (~96 octane US)
  • 25 liter ice tank
  • 10Kg Co2
  • 30+ deg-C ambient temperature (86+ deg-F)
  • Hoosiers Drag Radials 315/30/18
  • Started from 800 RPM
  • Track not drag prepped (no glue on asphalt)

Here's a video, but it's not the 1/4 mile results. This was a video Sergei sent Bert of a 0-200 MPH run he ran in the Mexican desert of Russia.

0-200 MPH in approximately 18.75 seconds.

Last edited by Green-Eggs; 08-13-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 10
      08-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Very cool!

That acceleration video is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Crazy power and speed . I wonder what was done on his DCT trans. and drive train .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

holy smokes. good job on the build. how drivable is it on the street?

i'd love to see pics of the head polish!
      08-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
R_lara
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650, F30 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Crazy power and speed . I wonder what was done on his DCT trans. and drive train .
Quote:
Me too

Thanks for sharing this info, i would really like to build my engine like this one day.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
R_lara
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650, F30 33

Would an engine like this run AC and all of the accessories like a normal M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Here's more info I just received (added to original post):

Drag result details:
  • Factory ECU, not standalone
  • Dodson DCT clutches
  • Full weight interior (not stripped)
  • Full gas tank
  • 100 RON Gasoline (~96 octane US)
  • 25 liter ice tank
  • 10Kg Co2
  • 30+ deg-C ambient temperature (86+ deg-F)
  • Hoosiers Drag Radials 315/30/18
  • Started from 800 RPM
  • Track not drag prepped (no glue on asphalt)

Last edited by Green-Eggs; 08-13-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dodson clutches. That's all I know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

I think he drives it quite a bit, but not totally sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
Me too

Thanks for sharing this info, i would really like to build my engine like this one day.
Bert has another one already built, almost same specs, I think he's planning to sell it. I know he wants to build a flat-plane S65 and already has the parts to do it, so he might be motivated to sell it at a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
Would an engine like this run AC and all of the accessories like a normal M3.
Yes, this car still has AC and all other accessories. Still runs factory ECU.
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:

I'd say it would drive like an ess M3 just with more power
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

any cam work?
      08-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #11
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

What rod bolts were used?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #12
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Did the break in period differ from the method you recommended on previous posts, ie initial startup, change oil, startup again, change oil, ect....?
If so, what's different in this build?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
any cam work?
There are no forced induction cams available for the S65. You don't want to use NA cams on an FI engine. Bert's and I have talked about doing FI cams for a while and he has a design for one, but it's never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
What rod bolts were used?
Carrillo M9-CARR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH View Post
Did the break in period differ from the method you recommended on previous posts, ie initial startup, change oil, startup again, change oil, ect....?
Breaking in on an engine dyno can be done very fast in a matter of hours. Afterwords, these were the instructions given to Sergei.
http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....arged_Break_In

Quote:
If so, what's different in this build?
My shop has built a dozen or more S65 and S85 strokers and dozens of other S65 and S85 engines. I'd say what sets this build aside is having an Indy-500 winning engine builder do the job. Everything is measured and fitted. If it doesn't fit to an exact specification, then parts are machined until they do. Cams were assembled and probably timed and re-timed three times until there wasn't even a 1/2-degree slop in where they sat or opened/closed the valves. I'd say this is the quality you get from an Indy-500 winning engine builder.

I'll see if I can push Bert to get some pictures of the build.
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yes, pictures please.

I'd absolutely love to see some before/after shots of the port/polish.
      08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #15
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
There are no forced induction cams available for the S65. You don't want to use NA cams on an FI engine. Bert's and I have talked about doing FI cams for a while and he has a design for one, but it's never happened.

Carrillo M9-CARR.

Breaking in on an engine dyno can be done very fast in a matter of hours. Afterwords, these were the instructions given to Sergei.
http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index....arged_Break_In

My shop has built a dozen or more S65 and S85 strokers and dozens of other S65 and S85 engines. I'd say what sets this build aside is having an Indy-500 winning engine builder do the job. Everything is measured and fitted. If it doesn't fit to an exact specification, then parts are machined until they do. Cams were assembled and probably timed and re-timed three times until there wasn't even a 1/2-degree slop in where they sat or opened/closed the valves. I'd say this is the quality you get from an Indy-500 winning engine builder.

I'll see if I can push Bert to get some pictures of the build.
it sounds like an incredible build, congrats to everyone involved. imagine what the times would be with a prepped track and a little less weight in the car....great job.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Incredible. I'm not surprised these results are so incredible, the best of the best worked on it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #17
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
This is exciting. I've read that race car engines are expected to be refreshed after some number of races (1,2 ... I dunno). Is this a race engine like that or will this type of build be a replacement (ignore price) like the Dinan stroker?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
filinm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ESS VT4-1000

Thanks to all!)))

Guys,

Great to see that you all are so happy with my success!!!

I just came back home from the event (1,000 miles roundtrip on that car) and have soooo many facts and pics to share with you....... But tooo tired

Would make long-long post tomorrow....

Best wishes to all!!!
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11581.50
MahiC88.00
      08-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
deansbimmer
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Absolutely fantastic! I know what it feels like to get to 200mph that fast, I can't even imagine my M3 at that level. Cajones...

If I were to have anyone in the world build an S65 for me it would be Van Dyne. Utmost respect for their expertise with the internal combustion engine. I love that you didn't sleeve the motor. The S65 is one stout block.

These are the types of builds that shops like to toot their horns about up front and then fail or fall off the radar... I love that this is coming to light after the work is done and the car has been proven. Great job, keep it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinm3 View Post
Guys,

Great to see that you all are so happy with my success!!!

I just came back home from the event (1,000 miles roundtrip on that car) and have soooo many facts and pics to share with you....... But tooo tired

Would make long-long post tomorrow....

Best wishes to all!!!
Can't wait to get mind going on the end of the month
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
617E90M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Wish we knew what the 60-130 was haha
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, pictures please.

I'd absolutely love to see some before/after shots of the port/polish.
Working on it. Bert promised to get some pics up of the engine build in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Incredible. I'm not surprised these results are so incredible, the best of the best worked on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
This is exciting. I've read that race car engines are expected to be refreshed after some number of races (1,2 ... I dunno). Is this a race engine like that or will this type of build be a replacement (ignore price) like the Dinan stroker?
Not meant to be rebuilt. It was built to perform hard and last long. Although piston size was selected to allow two full engine rebuilds before a new block is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
If I were to have anyone in the world build an S65 for me it would be Van Dyne. Utmost respect for their expertise with the internal combustion engine.
I'll pass that along. Thanks!

Quote:
I love that you didn't sleeve the motor. The S65 is one stout block.
One of our customers was the very first guy in the world to sleeve his S65. I don't think people realize how short the life of the S65 is after sleeving the block. It's usually less than 1-year. I don't get the obsession with sleeving the S65 just to weaken the block and make it run hotter.

Quote:
These are the types of builds that shops like to toot their horns about up front and then fail or fall off the radar... I love that this is coming to light after the work is done and the car has been proven. Great job, keep it up.
Unfortunately that happens all too often that the guys never come back to inform people how or why their build didn't work out as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM VT3 View Post
Can't wait to get mind going on the end of the month
Van Dyne built your engine, didn't they? Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617E90M3 View Post
Wish we knew what the 60-130 was haha
Maybe Sergei can say whether he has any vbox results.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50