BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

06-03-2016, 02:14 AM   #45
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

So will I... Should go on mid week next week so will sure to post my thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #46
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

A spare couple of hours gave me just the window to get a couple of minor things done on the M3 over the long weekend.

I like the look of LED interior lighting in my cars so decided to replace all 16 filament globes with them. I picked up a complete kit and systematically worked my way through the car - very happy with the results and how it looks. I also installed a set of Pedal Haus pedals and have their brushed black finish extended DCT paddles I need to fit soon.

Lastly, in went an AFE Stage 2 intake. Install was easy enough and who knows (or cares) if it actually helps performance as the induction noise itself is worth it. I just figured that the intake, together with the M3World catted/resonated X-pipe and BPM Stage 2 tune I am waiting for will help bump things along nicely.
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-02-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #47
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep

Mods look great! Especially those pedals... Nice! I did my interior lights a while back and agree that they look much better...

In terms of the AFE filter... I notice it's quite a lot smaller than the BMC I'm running. Do you get a lot of induction noise as a consequence?

Has anyone run both and can compare the sound / noise level?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2016, 02:01 AM   #48
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Good work on lights and filter.

I run the same AFE filter, M3 world catted & res x pipe, test pipes. I noted some slight increase in throttle response and a little more induction noise.
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 01:22 AM   #49
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenio View Post
In terms of the AFE filter... I notice it's quite a lot smaller than the BMC I'm running. Do you get a lot of induction noise as a consequence?

Has anyone run both and can compare the sound / noise level?
I decided on the AFE kit as it also replaces the intake tube as well as the filter pod itself - the claim is better airflow. Induction noise for the whole AFE system is definitely louder than with the stock paper filter. That said, I don't know whether it is due to the AFE filter pod itself or the combo of pod and tube. Regardless, that induction roar is addictive, remembering I have a stock (i.e. relatively quiet) exhaust at this point.

From what I have seen, the BMC is simply a direct replacement for the stock paper filter. It is certainly larger than the AFE and seems to be of similar size to the OEM one. But I cannot comment on how it compares to the AFE noise-wise.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:15 AM   #50
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
I decided on the AFE kit as it also replaces the intake tube as well as the filter pod itself - the claim is better airflow. Induction noise for the whole AFE system is definitely louder than with the stock paper filter. That said, I don't know whether it is due to the AFE filter pod itself or the combo of pod and tube. Regardless, that induction roar is addictive, remembering I have a stock (i.e. relatively quiet) exhaust at this point.

From what I have seen, the BMC is simply a direct replacement for the stock paper filter. It is certainly larger than the AFE and seems to be of similar size to the OEM one. But I cannot comment on how it compares to the AFE noise-wise.
With this set up air intake surface area has been reduced - only an observation. I don't know what affect this has.

I have BMC filter and definitely the induction noise is a lot louder compared to OEM. Concur with Stu

I don't buy the crap that it has increased any power or the throttle response. That's largely due to the respective tune.

Nice clean car
      06-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #51
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Nice snaps Jon!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #52
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Nice snaps Jon!
Cheers Shane - the secret is a solid tripod ... makes a noob like me a half decent photog
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:12 AM   #53
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Shopping at M3World ....

This arrived yesterday and I thought I would post these up here as I could not find any detailed photos of this particular configuration: satin black X-Pipe w/ HFC and resonators from M3World. In retrospect Dave Dee would have probably sent them to me had I asked! For the record, here they are.

Impressions: top notch fabrication, very neat welds and the high temp coating is well applied. Almost a pity these will be hidden under the car! They get fitted up tomorrow and I expect to be able to get the BPMSport Stage II ECU and DCT tune done for the weekend ...
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-02-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #54
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep

They look very familiar indeed... welcome to the M3World X-club!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 02:36 AM   #55
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
ditto same ones I have had on the car now nearly 18 months, great choice
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 02:44 AM   #56
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Thanks for the write up Jon, looking forward to hearing how the install goes, the paint sets at around 800d, so it will get smokey for the first few minutes then it will be rock hard.... thanks Stu and Dave great to hear you are enjoying

Last edited by DaveDee; 06-23-2016 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #57
Skolmore
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Saw your car at Costello's this afternoon - must have been fitting Dave's pipes. That car looks great!
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #58
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks for that. Yes, it was in for the install. Was yours the black one I saw there as well? It was parked behind mine when I picked up - nice one too

Will post up impressions of exhaust and tunes soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #59
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

M3World x-pipe install and BPM Sport tunes

Well it seems I was not the only one who was waiting on an exhaust and BPM Sport tunes from Dave Dee/M3World! In the last day, DCTerry posted his thoughts on the gear he received so I hope I don’t repeat too much of what he said. However, like many people on here, I have to thank Dave Dee for answering my many questions and for his first class service in communication of order progress and delivery times (even while he was overseas!). My order was bang-on time and the actual shipping of the order from the GC to Canberra was all of 3 days: out on Monday and at my door early Wednesday afternoon.

Exhaust

We all know the stock system is pretty restrained until you get the revs up and then it can actually sound quite decent. But simply all too tame in volume and note – not what you want in a performance car! I know everyone has their own perception of the “right” sounding exhaust and everyone has their own preferences but I think most agree, the M3 needs more exhaust noises!

On the exhaust side, I have fitted the M3World high-flow catted and resonated X-pipe (see post #53) and have that mated to the stock rear box. I gather some of you on the forum have done the same.

I spoke to the mechanic (at the independent shop I go to) who did the install. He said he found the job was one of the easiest aftermarket systems he’d ever done. He remarked that it was and I quote “dead-set simple and straightforward”. You can assume a big thumbs up that the components not only looked the part, they fitted up really well too.

I quite like the improvement in sound. The addition of the new x-pipe was noticeable as soon as I started it up in the shop’s car park. Yes, it’s still on the mild side but it does have the addition of a nice growl to it, adding a little bit more aggression to the note.

Surprisingly, the volume at idle and at low revs/small throttle openings is only up slightly. Chances are, partners are not likely to notice anything because from inside, the sound is as smooth and controlled as the stock system! Only if you restrain yourself though, as it’s a different story on wider throttle openings — the thing really builds into that aggressive V8 note with a hint of rasp. I don’t mention this slight rasp in any negative sense (I often read elsewhere where this is mostly taken as a criticism) as the x-pipe setup adds some real aural excitement to the exhaust note. This is probably the ideal solution for someone who wants to give the stock system a bit more of a 'note' and yet keep things restrained. Couple this with a tune and you open up greater power potential. Is it loud enough for me? I’d like to live with it for a while before answering that! What I do wish for at the moment is a deeper, balls-ier bellow to be added on top of the current sound. All without making it obnoxious (to me) ... Yeah, OK - sounds like a rear section may be under consideration soon .....

Tunes

I did the exhaust mod not just for the sound but also so I could go straight to the BPM Sport Stage II ECU tune. I loaded up the tune the day after the exhaust install but I have to say that the engine note sounded different again. Many reviews have been written on this forum about the benefits of the tune already so I won't say much. I know it’s very soon after the loading of the tune (I’ve done maybe ~30 kms only) so the adaptations may not be fully set but it did not take much to notice performance improvements, especially once the revs build. Without doubt, the car does pull a lot harder now and I will enjoy feeling it out further over the coming days. I am curious to know how it feels and behaves in different road conditions. I have to pick my time atm – bl00dy cold and frosty roads here right now ….

I also did the BPM DCT tune and it sure has made a difference. Who would have thought just some new software could make such a noticeable improvement. Just like everyone seems to say, gear changes do seem smoother. This is especially evident when pulling up in Dx and the box works itself down the gears. In stock form, it did seem a little clunky at times but somehow it’s mechanically much smoother now. Up through the gears when putting your foot down, it does punch through the gears much quicker. Very satisfyingly so. I'm just loving it more in S mode. This has definitely been worthwhile doing.

Last edited by JJH; 06-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Clarification/typo
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #60
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for taking the time for the excellent review Jon I've passed your review and Terry's review to the fabricator and it's made his day. He has 20+ years experience in custom work and after reading reviews like these it makes his day (and mine) and makes all the R&D time worth every minute. Cheers Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #61
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This arrived yesterday and I thought I would post these up here as I could not find any detailed photos of this particular configuration: satin black X-Pipe w/ HFC and resonators from M3World. In retrospect Dave Dee would have probably sent them to me had I asked! For the record, here they are.

Impressions: top notch fabrication, very neat welds and the high temp coating is well applied. Almost a pity these will be hidden under the car!

They get fitted up tomorrow and I expect to be able to get the BPMSport Stage II ECU and DCT tune done for the weekend ...
One of the local guys fitted up the exact system and has done this video, before after and after the stage 2 tune. Is the exact same setup as yours Jon

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #62
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

That sounds about right, thanks Dave. Although I have not actually heard it from that perspective myself
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #63
m3toboot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///3

Nifty piece of kit :-) DCT tune makes slow speed behaviour much better too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #64
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Temptation too great ....

So, I've been living with the catted resonated x-pipe upgrade for a little while and although I do like the improvement in sound (and benefit of being able to run the Stage II tune), I did confirm my initial feeling of wanting more of an exhaust note. Thanks (I think!!) to a local member who offered me a ride in his E90 with the M3World valved rear exhaust section, my fate was sealed! (thanks Steve!)

This arrived at my door today. Rather than give my mechanic the pleasure of unwrapping this, I did it instead. Thanks to Dave for ensuring it was extremely well packed ... took me ages to unpack so I could get the money shot! I don't want to seem like I am raving, given I haven't even installed it but this is one nicely fabricated piece of kit. Even under the satin black coating I could see that the bends and the welds were perfect and all the attaching hardware look bullet proof. Installation takes place in a couple of days ....
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-02-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #65
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, I've been living with the catted resonated x-pipe upgrade for a little while and although I do like the improvement in sound (and benefit of being able to run the Stage II tune), I did confirm my initial feeling of wanting more of an exhaust note. Thanks (I think!!) to a local member who offered me a ride in his E90 with the M3World valved rear exhaust section, my fate was sealed! (thanks Steve!)

This arrived at my door today. Rather than give my mechanic the pleasure of unwrapping this, I did it instead. Thanks to Dave for ensuring it was extremely well packed ... took me ages to unpack so I could get the money shot!

I don't want to seem like I am raving, given I haven't even installed it but this is one nicely fabricated piece of kit. Even under the satin black coating I could see that the bends and the welds were perfect and all the attaching hardware look bullet proof. Installation takes place in a couple of days ....

Thanks Jon for the great write up and excellent photos. I think you will love the sound of the new system particularly on the X-Pipe you have now which is a perfect match
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #66
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Valved rear exhaust installed!

It's been about a week since the install of the M3World rear section exhaust and I've had the chance to take the M3 out a few times now. There is little doubt it is now an awesome sounding beast. But certainly one with two characters because of the valves.

I had a huge smile on my dial when I first started it up at the shop carpark ... man, what a sound! It certainly hit the spot as that was the exhaust character I had been wanting the whole time. This was the default valves closed mode! That beautiful, distinctive V8 burble clearly audible from inside and yet not overbearing - just perfect; finally the car has that bassy rumble which was missing even with the catted resonated x-pipe. On the go, the note and volume is perfect - it's there but it would never get in the way of any normal conversation with a front seat passenger. Partner friendly? Tick! Get on the loud pedal and it howls like a V8 should.

Valves open unleashes the beast! The difference between modes is really noticeable. The exhaust is naturally louder in open mode but I would say not at all over-the-top loud and frankly, I am conservative when it comes to this. It truly gives the M3 that V8 powerhouse sound and character the like I have not experienced before. It's that good!

Happy? That's a resounding yes. The valved rear section paired with the x-pipe seems a perfect match - no drone or unpleasant noises in open or closed mode, a very small hint of resonance as revs build just after moving off in open mode only — but it is not intrusive and you pass through that point quickly anyway. Around town with valves closed, you'd probably pass by relatively unnoticed. Then again, if making a statement is your thing, just open them valves and watch roadside wildlife run for cover! At freeway cruising speeds in either mode, the sound is there but appropriately in the background. Ah but that proper V8 sound!

As a side note, I've experienced the rear exhaust on an E90 M3 with the factory x-pipe. Interestingly, while sounding great, the one thing I noticed was that the system on that car tended to be 'boomy' and droned at certain RPMs. Not so in mine. I guess some amount of work must have gone into sorting that.

I need to have some slight adjustment made to the left side but that should be a quick job. I'm still playing with the adjustment on the tips, which is a simple task as they are designed to be fully adjustable.
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
DaveDee529.50