BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

07-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
Hamburgerandchips
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Importing my E90 M3 from UK to Aus

Hi All,

As the title says this is my current conundrum with a move back to Aus from the UK on the cards for later this year. From the little feeler I put out on a thread the feedback was 'don't do it - buy local' but before writing it off altogether I want to make sure the pro's and cons are all out of the way as I do enjoy the car and will be sad to part ways with her! Spec as follows:

late 2011 build E90
DCT
EDC
55k miles/ 90k km
full service history
Jerez black with black interior
folding mirrors
heated seats
base stereo with alpine upgrade
19" 220 wheels
black shadow window trim & tinted rear
full tech pack with lots of things i dont use
2 pipe standard exhaust mod and considering a decat/tune if bringing the car

By my man-maths the car will cost me approx 50-55k landed in Aus after shipping&duties and a similar car to purchase locally is around the $60-65k mark so not a ground breaking saving from that angle

Its also been raised that I'd have trouble selling her being a grey import which would be a PITA if it came to it

So please tell me about the aus delivered cars - Did they differ at all from what we in the UK or known to be lacking any important spec items? I have to say the M has been a great car and would definitely be considering another if we have to part ways but at the same time would kick myself for getting rid of a car that is already great

If buying again in Aus I would likely consider a pre LCI manual coupe and spend some money sorting out the bearings/actuators and anything else needed to bring it up to standard

Thanks! All opinions welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i think but could be wrong you ll pick up similar spec car for less than 60-65 you mention above.
come resale as you say people are just scared of imports...esp from UK cos of the rust and corrosion and you ll have trouble selling it. i would sell there and start fresh once here if it was me..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Hamburgerandchips
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
i think but could be wrong you ll pick up similar spec car for less than 60-65 you mention above.
come resale as you say people are just scared of imports...esp from UK cos of the rust and corrosion and you ll have trouble selling it. i would sell there and start fresh once here if it was me..
you're the third to point me in that direction so might be facing a sad departure with this one later this year and stockpiling any parts & wheels to be shipped back that are harder to come by in Aus.

This morning's other bright thought is to take a sideways step into 1M ownership as it will be a second/third car and therefore the others can be responsible for baby carrying duties

thanks for the few that gave input and i'll keep lurking around here as i progress further towards the southern hemisphere
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:20 AM   #4
Rajvosa
Major
Rep

Yes was gonna suggest to maybe get something more special and harder to come bye here. Not sure what 1M prices are worth in UK but look at carsales to compare to Oz prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
Qikish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 MY11 ZCP

Quote:
Yes was gonna suggest to maybe get something more special and harder to come bye here. Not sure what 1M prices are worth in UK but look at carsales to compare to Oz prices.
This is a great idea in theory but i believe he would need to have 12 months proof of ownership in the UK before he can bring it in as a personal import.

I think this E90 could be bought in Aus for 55k or so once you take into account the gray import 'tax' you might be lucky to get 50k if you sold your car locally.

Sell it in England and buy new here.

On a side note if you are more than a year off moving out, using the 1M idea of bringing in something rarer could I suggest a GC8 2 door STI or rare Spec C RA-R. These cars are rare period but worth a little less in the UK
      07-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Hamburgerandchips
Rep

Quote:
From a look at carsales i'd say either 1M prices in Australia are quite good or M3 prices are quite high. I wouldn't be able to swap my E90 over here for a 1M but that is actually looking in reach in Aus

Unfortunately the clock is ticking and I dont have 12months to build up another car ownership over here. Previous car was a 997 911 4S with a very rare factory engine upgrade but a poor coincidence of this requiring major engine work and the news of a baby on the way meant i swapped it out for the more practical M3. i'm not kicking myself for not repairing the 911 in terms of sheer value added by bringing it instead

The only other import option I understand is cars manufactured before 1988 but this takes me into a different league and Australia is way behind the curve on updating these laws. Yes i do want to relive my mk2 golf GTI days but it will be a long time before the cost of the car and shipping will pay off.. this is something i'd rather have as an engine swap project and use an aussie base car
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
BMWM3TS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikish View Post
This is a great idea in theory but i believe he would need to have 12 months proof of ownership in the UK before he can bring it in as a personal import.

I think this E90 could be bought in Aus for 55k or so once you take into account the gray import 'tax' you might be lucky to get 50k if you sold your car locally.

Sell it in England and buy new here.

On a side note if you are more than a year off moving out, using the 1M idea of bringing in something rarer could I suggest a GC8 2 door STI or rare Spec C RA-R. These cars are rare period but worth a little less in the UK
Q
Just a view. Sell the m3, buy a 997 4s and swap it back for your old 997 4s can you still claim you had it for 12 months after a buy back. me thinks so. Import the 997 4s sell it in Aus and you can buy a e90 m3 here for 55k and get a 1m for a free carry for the mrs.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
Rep
Drives: currently... a Euro Ford...

I was going to look at an E90 M3 DCT today. Everything was looking promising until I did some VIN decoding on the various free sites. I kept getting Japan popping up in some details. Given the mish mash of German phrases in the decoding I initially wasn't too concerned. The rego/VIN also appeared on BMW Australia's Takata recall page. Then I decoded some other Aussie VINs and no "Japan" appeared..... I directly posed the question and the seller admitted it was from Japan and a private import. Not impressed to be told that after previous questions on the vehicle's history.

It's still on Carsales with nothing about it being a private import. I'm not the least bit interested now, even if it was reduced to $10k+ cheaper than a local vehicle. Insurance could be a problem and I'm not sure what BMW Australia's attitude would be if you had some problem crop up or needed some help sourcing some part that wasn't on their system.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #9
Rajvosa
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022500 View Post
I was going to look at an E90 M3 DCT today. Everything was looking promising until I did some VIN decoding on the various free sites. I kept getting Japan popping up in some details. Given the mish mash of German phrases in the decoding I initially wasn't too concerned. The rego/VIN also appeared on BMW Australia's Takata recall page. Then I decoded some other Aussie VINs and no "Japan" appeared..... I directly posed the question and the seller admitted it was from Japan and a private import. Not impressed to be told that after previous questions on the vehicle's history.

It's still on Carsales with nothing about it being a private import. I'm not the least bit interested now, even if it was reduced to $10k+ cheaper than a local vehicle. Insurance could be a problem and I'm not sure what BMW Australia's attitude would be if you had some problem crop up or needed some help sourcing some part that wasn't on their system.
Is that the silver one in SA for 47,500?
It’s got the front license plate mount/frame which on all E46’s I’ve seen
Means it’s an import.
Insurance shouldn’t be an
Issue. Car is regoed fine and as for parts same
Parts on that car as on Aust delivered one. But yes the seller should be upfront about the fact it’s an import.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Rep

Quote:
Is that the silver one in SA for 47,500?
It’s got the front license plate mount/frame which on all E46’s I’ve seen
Means it’s an import.
Insurance shouldn’t be an
Issue. Car is regoed fine and as for parts same
Parts on that car as on Aust delivered one. But yes the seller should be upfront about the fact it’s an import.
Yep, that's it. I did a PPSR check and it's encumbered too, which complicates things further. The current owner has only had it 6mths. It hasn't got EDC but has listed the option of a rear sunshade (!?) I asked about oil changes and was told they'd been done around the 5k mark. The books would all be japanese- if they were even with it when it landed?

I did notice the number plate mount but did a quick check on some other E9x they seemed to be similar? I haven't had a close look over one yet.

The import bit definitely should be on the advert.... . I figured it was just a case of someone pricing it realistically as they wanted to not have it sitting around. It was originally $49990 or similar?

I've found with insurance companies in the past they can baulk at insuring a vehicle- that is a personal import from another country- for the same price as "the same" legit Aussie vehicle. Somewhere like Shannons would do it. I think a personal import would also bypass some of the rules/ regulations that vehicles imported under the RAWS/ SEVS system must comply with??

Last edited by 2022500; 09-22-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022500 View Post
Insurance could be a problem and I'm not sure what BMW Australia's attitude would be if you had some problem crop up or needed some help sourcing some part that wasn't on their system.
Don't think insurance would be a problem (it's not like a jap spec model vs aussie spec jap car, it's a BMW that's the same spec for all markets). The parts are not market dependant, they all use the same parts. And you'd be silly to take your 2nd hand car to stealerships, independent BMW shops are most cost effective and will look after your car better.

Speaking of Japan, I'm thinking of turning my mineral white m3 to Japan Red:

Thoughts?

Last edited by Fezza; 09-22-2019 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
MJBO2601.00
      09-23-2019, 12:29 AM   #12
Rep

What about Melbourne Red? That looks nice from some pics on Carsales- there's one in Melbourne (how ironic) that's been for sale for a while.

Re insurance, you'd need to tell them it's a personal import when insuring it. Otherwise they could be nasty if you ever have to claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:01 AM   #13
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

melbourne red is a shade too dark for my liking
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #14
Rep

Googling images for "Japan Red" makes me think perhaps the saturation and brightness have been cranked up in that image? Other pics aren't as bright and vibrant.
Appreciate 0