BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
test pipes vs full x pipe

hi all

just wondering if anyone has any experience with a direct comparison between test pipes removing primary cats (eg turner test pipes) vs a full X pipe removing primary + secondary cats (eg bimmerworld, with resonators) in terms of sound difference.

will the full x pipe produce a significantly louder sound than the test pipes or is it negligible?

i would be matching this with an OEM exhaust.

thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

X-Pipes typically sound better. There was a used Gintani pipe with high flow cats for sale. That's the route you want to go. Also it will be a bolt on as opposed to cutting your existing pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
thanks for the input. is the sound amplitude much different between the 2 options?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

X-Pipes are typically exotic sounding. $2,500 new compared to $300 or $400 new. All a test pipe is doing is removing your cats. X-Pipes do that and make sound better. If you are looking for loud then get a test pipe and do the OEM muffler mod. If you want a cool sound get a well made X-Pipe with HFC.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
X-Pipes typically sound better. There was a used Gintani pipe with high flow cats for sale. That's the route you want to go. Also it will be a bolt on as opposed to cutting your existing pipe.
Thats all subjective. Test pipes with the right rear section sound just as good.

If I was the OP find a used OEM xpipe and do the test pipes and save a ton of money.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      08-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Thats all subjective. Test pipes with the right rear section sound just as good.

If I was the OP find a used OEM xpipe and do the test pipes and save a ton of money.

Dave
Agreed, everything is subjective. Once all 10,000 members weigh in and give him our opinion on the subject he can then make an educated decision. But as stated OP, you get what you pay for, you may have paid $30k for your used M3 but it's still a $75k high end automobile. Treat her right and pickup a nice sounding X-Pipe, then add a stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 2
Scharbag2620.50
      08-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Fair enough. That being said the prices to me are not insanely different. 400$ for turner pipes + potential need for a new stock x pipe if you don't want to cut the one on the car, vs bimmerworld x pipe at 1050$.

My main question is if the x pipe will be significantly louder than a simple test pipe, because my home track has sound regulations. The sound i'm not too worried about because I'm sure they will both sound great
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The bimmerworld would be louder. No secondary cats. Also would probably have more rasp. The secondary cats don't cost hardly any horsepower, but do act as a secondary set of resonators.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:17 AM   #9
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Most catless race x pipes are going to be an actual straight pipe with a possible set of resonators. You'll literally get the same sound with test pipes and secondary cat delete. Most people don't understand that all "race exhausts" are usually a full straight pipe on the x pipe (no primaries, secondaries or resonators) to a muffler. The muffler is really the determining factor or sound pitch and loudness. IMO I like test pipes with oem modded muffler or m performance, it sounds similar to stock but above 3k rpm is screams. But to answer your question, it really depends on the x pipe you're looking at. X pipes sometimes have high flow cats, a set of resonators, a set of secondary cats, the cheaper ones are usually a straight pipe so as I mentioned earlier you can do test pipes with a secondary cat delete and there will be no gain difference and a slight sound difference since you'll have resonators. If your fine with a louder setup and a bit more rasp go full catless x pipe, if you want a slight to medium increase in sound and a good jump in performance test pipes is the way to go.
Appreciate 4
BOOF-M34451.50
Iyzmi802.00
Chromey97.50
      08-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Ok I think this put my question to bed. This is what I suspected, so it's good to have the confirmation.

Part 2 to my question is which X pipes have the X in the same location as the BW one? I have read that there is data showing that it's the best placement, so I am wondering if there is any other that has it there.

And last part 3 to my question is where can I get a HFC that I can add to an Xpipe if i wanted to go that route? Magnaflow? Is there a specific model?

Thanks guys you've been very helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Ok i just checked out a car with evolve x pipe with gintani software and corsa exhaust. Then a second car with rogue resonated test pipe with secondary cats in place also with corsa exhaust on alex alpine stage 2 software. Both cars sound very similar. You can barely hear it when its not under a load but very nice when you do push it.

Last edited by monterey; 08-18-2018 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Ok I think this put my question to bed. This is what I suspected, so it's good to have the confirmation.

Part 2 to my question is which X pipes have the X in the same location as the BW one? I have read that there is data showing that it's the best placement, so I am wondering if there is any other that has it there.

And last part 3 to my question is where can I get a HFC that I can add to an Xpipe if i wanted to go that route? Magnaflow? Is there a specific model?

Thanks guys you've been very helpful
ESS and Gintani. From what I observe the X location moved further forward gives you more high pitched exotic sound.
I currently have the ESS catless and while I hate the smell, I can't get enough of the sound. No way any test pipe combo will give you such note.
Look it up on YouTube, there are a few vids with ess xpipe.

I am not saying you should look exactly for ess xpipe, mine had a few fitment troubles and one of the resonators has already disintegrated. But I am staying with it either way sounds the best imo.
      09-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
hackR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3 titanium silver

Have a Corsa exhaust and a stage 2 tune...Just switched from AA catless xpipe (2 resonators only) to AA test pipe and OEM exhaust with secondary cat & resonators...what a difference!...catless was wayyyyy too loud and raspy (whatever the heck that means?!) - especially under engine load...with the test pipe and OEM secondary cat & resonators it's deep and exotic like...at all loads and rpms...no drone...if catless is a 10 and stock is a 3, i'd say that the test pipe with OEM back is a 7 with sound level...besides the sound level the tone is 100% better!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I just heard the gintani x pipe with dinan exhaust. It was so quiet. Very nice tone though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
I just heard the gintani x pipe with dinan exhaust. It was so quiet. Very nice tone though.
I've experienced that setup and it is a favorite of mine. It is well behaved when you are not on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #16
TimberWolf_3063
Dem Ingenör ist nix zu schwör!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 - DCT, EDC

Garage List
I've gone through the following setups:

- Stock (duh)
- OEM Mod muffler
- OEM Mod muffler w/ full AA x-pipe (no cats)
- Stock muffler w/ full AA x-pipe
- AA test pipes w/ OEM Mod muffler.

Stock: refined, but quiet.
OEM Mod muffler: Great sound. Still refined, not as quiet - very worthwhile mod.
OEM Mod w/ AA x-pipe: LOUD. Great sound at certain RPMs, metallic and raspy as hell at others. Too much for everyday use. Smell.
Stock muffler w/ AA x-pipe: Muddy and indistinct. Worst out of all of them.
OEM Mod w/ test pipes & stock x-pipe (current set-up): AWESOME. Great scream with just the SLIGHTEST hint of rasp at high RPMs, almost Italian resonance at 3500-4000 rpm, BLAPS on downshifts (DCT), and still quiet enough at low RPM to not wake up the whole neighbourhood.

The AA x-pipe was resonated, which did very little - but retaining the secondary cats really helps to clean up the sound and smell, while giving up very little power.

I have some sound bites of the different setups which I will try to upload when I return home (out of the country ATM), but I hope this helps meanwhile!
"Ah, what music! They could never have imagined it, those pioneers that invented the automobile...that it would possess us like this, and our imaginations, and our dreams. You see, men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!" - Alexander Fermor-Hesketh, 3rd Baron Hesketh

Last edited by TimberWolf_3063; 09-23-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf_3063 View Post
I've gone through the following setups:

- Stock (duh)
- OEM Mod muffler
- OEM Mod muffler w/ full AA x-pipe (no cats)
- Stock muffler w/ full AA x-pipe
- AA test pipes w/ OEM Mod muffler.

Stock: refined, but quiet.
OEM Mod muffler: Great sound. Still refined, not as quiet - very worthwhile mod.
OEM Mod w/ AA x-pipe: LOUD. Great sound at certain RPMs, metallic and raspy as hell at others. Too much for everyday use. Smell.
Stock muffler w/ AA x-pipe: Muddy and indistinct. Worst out of all of them.
OEM Mod w/ test pipes & stock x-pipe (current set-up): AWESOME. Great scream with just the SLIGHTEST hint of rasp at high RPMs, almost Italian resonance at 3500-4000 rpm, BLAPS on downshifts (DCT), and still quiet enough at low RPM to not wake up the whole neighbourhood.

The AA x-pipe was resonated, which did very little - but retaining the secondary cats really helps to clean up the sound and smell, while giving up very little power.

I have some sound bites of the different setups which I will try to upload when I return home (out of the country ATM), but I hope this helps meanwhile!
This is very very helpful. Thank you. Those clips would be very appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d like to see a dyno comparison of a stock x-pipe, an aftermarket x-pipe with no cats, one with 2 high flow cats and one with 4 high flow cats. I don’t think I have ever seen that. What I usually read is people saying there is little difference between a stock x- pipe with test pipes in place of the front cats and a fully catless aftermarket x-pipe. Seeing a dyno of at least those two would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

just get the Macht Schnell xpipe. reasonably priced, does the job.

No xpipe is worth 2k at all.

otherwise test pipes (don't look at the overall price vs an xpipe because a test pipe at $300/$400 is still an M-tax rip off; I got test pipes for my Evo ix years ago for $50, since it's just a piece of pipe with flanges lol).
      09-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #20
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
just get the Macht Schnell xpipe. reasonably priced, does the job.

No xpipe is worth 2k at all.

otherwise test pipes (don't look at the overall price vs an xpipe because a test pipe at $300/$400 is still an M-tax rip off; I got test pipes for my Evo ix years ago for $50, since it's just a piece of pipe with flanges lol).
I will likely end up with the rogue test pipes, because they have resonators
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2018, 02:11 AM   #21
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I'd like to see a dyno comparison of a stock x-pipe, an aftermarket x-pipe with no cats, one with 2 high flow cats and one with 4 high flow cats. I don't think I have ever seen that. What I usually read is people saying there is little difference between a stock x- pipe with test pipes in place of the front cats and a fully catless aftermarket x-pipe. Seeing a dyno of at least those two would be interesting.
Evolve have made such comparison - dyno with test pipes vs dyno with their catless x-pipe. Difference in hp was marginal.
But, I think test pipes will never sound as good as a full x-pipe, especially one of those with the X section moved further forward. I have the ESS xpipe and the exhaust note is so good and exotic
I'd rather spend 2k on an x-pipe than an axle back.
      09-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Where is the dyno? What I read are people repeating the claim, but I wanted to see the dyno supporting the claim.
Appreciate 0