BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

02-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Question Clear Bra

Beautiful Los Angeles day so I decided to wash my car. To my dismay I found quite a few (counted about 10) small paint chips on my hood, bumper, and painted grille to make matters worse I've only had the car for 3 months. Kind of pissed I didn't clear bra it earlier.

So how much do clear bras typically run and do you guys rccomend anything more than the front bumper, fenders and front portion of the hood? Thanks
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

Prob gunna get flamed for not searching but frankly I'd like a good rec as well in the LA area for a car that has a few months (and a couple chips) already.

PS - great taste! (SS/E90)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

It really depends on how much you want to pay. But generally you get what you pay for. As for your paint chips.... same thing here man. I will be getting my hood and front bumper repainted then get the clear bra put on. I have had these guys do most of my cars and you cant even tell. http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ Premier Mobile Group comes highly recommended in the supercar community and I think that a few members here have used them as well. Get your chips taken care of first then go to them and you will never have a problem there after.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Yes, tons of info on this is you search.

I've had them on my last 3 cars and will never go without one again. I had one done my the dealer (pretty decent job) and two done by aftermarket installers.
I got a partial hood job on all three with the lights and the remaining front end completely covered. With mirrors done too they all ran about $1,000.
I have a car due in the first week of April and this time I'm having the entire hood done. With great coverage up front and a couple of "courtesy" pieces on the back fender area I've been quoted $1495.
I'd love to use the Premier guys but they're CA based. You should check out their OC branch.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Clear Bra's help, the you'll still get chips in you track the car in advanced run groups. Make sure you get one with a clearcoat built in so that you can get aggressive in removing bugs and rubber marks - some materials cloud up and/or bubble if you use alcohol on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.

I did do a search, but was looking more for pricing and reccomendations, so thank you for providing that. I will check out premiere mobil group for sure. I got my roof wrapped at Sticker City in Sherman Oaks, they did a good job and seem to be pretty well respected with regards to the clear bra too.

As far as removing the current chips, repainting the hood/bumper aside any reccomendations? Like I said I counted about 8 chips that bothered me albeit samll as shit but still eating away at me.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

I will be doing this immediately upon delivery
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

With the sun and high winds/dust in the desert southwest, it's an appealing mod, but ALL the ones I've seen are noticeable at best. And most already had a bit of wax/dust/dirt/grime/etc slightly embedded on edges already. And yes, some were expensive cars. Maybe it was the installation, or material, but all I know is for $1,400, I can probably repaint the affected areas three times (or at least twice). And I'd only do it with some colors, where it's not as noticeable.

Another issue of pure preference, as neither chips nor the wrap looks good IMO. But at least stock looks better until you get chips .
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
With the sun and high winds/dust in the desert southwest, it's an appealing mod, but ALL the ones I've seen are noticeable at best. And most already had a bit of wax/dust/dirt/grime/etc slightly embedded on edges already. And yes, some were expensive cars. Maybe it was the installation, or material, but all I know is for $1,400, I can probably repaint the affected areas three times (or at least twice). And I'd only do it with some colors, where it's not as noticeable.

Another issue of pure preference, as neither chips nor the wrap looks good IMO. But at least stock looks better until you get chips .
So true. I mean part of me is like why spend $1K or so on this especially since the chips that I already have are so darn small and minor. But the other half of me says if I have this many 3 months into ownership and it’s bothering me I should do it

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
M3Bliss
Just Live'n the Dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3

I am taking delivery Wednesday and the guy is coming on Saturday to cover the front end. It will cost around $700; it will be a full front bumper, 24" hood and matching fenders, headlights and mirrors. I debated on the merits of a full hood but I had this setup on my Cayman S and I never had a chip above that point on the hood and lets face it some marks are going to occur on the car in any event. He comes to your home and does it in the garage so it is very convenient. At this price it is well worth it to me.
      03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bliss View Post
I am taking delivery Wednesday and the guy is coming on Saturday to cover the front end. It will cost around $700; it will be a full front bumper, 24" hood and matching fenders, headlights and mirrors. I debated on the merits of a full hood but I had this setup on my Cayman S and I never had a chip above that point on the hood and lets face it some marks are going to occur on the car in any event. He comes to your home and does it in the garage so it is very convenient. At this price it is well worth it to me.
Sounds like a good deal, and I don;t knwo if the whole hood is needed. I think I will do 16"s or 24"s on the hood and matching fenders.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
1BFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Best guy by far is www.ultimateshield.com

Sean has done 4 of my cars and they all turned out perfect.

Highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

I went with Sticker City www.stickercity.com They did my roof wrap, and have bene very happy with them so far.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #14
Cali convertible
Cali convertible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 DCT convertible

I have to agree

I used Premier Mobile Group in Fremont, CA. for my 2009 white convertible. Ask for Dave. Its worth the drive. It was almost $1,000 to do the bumper, mirrors, under handles, front end up to the BMW symbol. If you want the entire hood its about $2,000. They do an excellent job, very professional and detailed work. I highly recommend them. Tell them Scott sent you with the white M3 they did.
Appreciate 0