BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hmmm. I wouldn't be so quick. I would bet these mirrors are actually plastic. Your handle is working great here, foot->mouth. Heck even if by some miracle they are genuinely metallic they certainly are not polished - they are brushed. Come on Audi boy

Yeah you are right they changed to plastic with a alloy coating with the introduction of the new mirror design with built-in indicators. Originally there were more alloys up to the S4/6/8 but like everything cutting cost have even turned Audi into cheap skates.

Polished, brushed, both look similar, something you couldn't say about chromed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

So it will be an article full of speculation about a non-existent, photoshopped car. And then they will bench race this fantasy car against a real car? Sounds great.

Personally, for the time being, I am much more curious about this car:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/25/r...eek-at-s5-evo/

And whether it will be produced.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #25
Reincarnated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: new

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
While we're talking about Car magazine and reality:

Enough said.

Best regards, south
+1 Car mag FTL.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
yashBMW
Superior Genral
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

its a fake !
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #27
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So it will be an article full of speculation about a non-existent, photoshopped car. And then they will bench race this fantasy car against a real car? Sounds great.

Personally, for the time being, I am much more curious about this car:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/25/r...eek-at-s5-evo/

And whether it will be produced.
Interesting. The question is, is this just an S5 with more power or perhaps Audi's version of S5 CSL?; perhaps some unique suspension tuning, lower weight due to use of carbon fiber and removal of sound-deadening material, etc?

Incidentally, this story would seem to help the case that the new RS5 might be turbocharged after all. I can't see them get much more power out of the relatively small displacement of the 4.2L V8.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I have just read the article in CAR magazine and to me at least a lot of the info if correct sounds very odd. For a start the output figures, 450hp sounds about right for a low pressure boost which should keep the N/A characteristics but the torque is only boosted by 15ft/lbs, come on that is total BS for a bi-turbo engine, especially a 4.2L v8 engine.

The rest of the info definitely sounds about right, the gearbox and the fact it's wet clutched to cope with the extra torque, the torque vectoring diff, the size of the alloys, all correct. Even the bodykit looks just as you would expect the RS5 to look based of what we see with the RS6.

But the weight distribution is all wrong, there is no way Audi are going to get the balance down more than 6% at the front of the car and transfer it to the rear. The engine has to be heavier if it's got turbos attached, so what ever they would be doing would solely negate the additional weight caused by the engine.

No to me the output spec if correct sounds to be more what would be expected if the engine remains N/A and that would be the only way they could possibly get close to the 50/50 weight balance being talked about here.

P.S.
When comparing the M3 in this article to the photoshop of the RS5 you have to concede that the RS5 looks a million times more aggressive, a real killer for the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I have just read the article in CAR magazine and to me at least a lot of the info if correct sounds very odd. For a start the output figures, 450hp sounds about right for a low pressure boost which should keep the N/A characteristics but the torque is only boosted by 15ft/lbs, come on that is total BS for a bi-turbo engine, especially a 4.2L v8 engine.
+1 footie, that's but one reason why this article is pointless. No way a turbo will provide that little advantage, the engine could make those numbers N/A.

Personally I suspect that the thing will end up with a turbo V8. I think they will want to make a large advancement and move to the top of the class, rather than taking a back seat to the C63 (or paper anyway). I suspect a V8 with FI like the one being developed for the new A8. Than can then tune it for duty in the RS4.

Quote:
P.S.
When comparing the M3 in this article to the photoshop of the RS5 you have to concede that the RS5 looks a million times more aggressive, a real killer for the road.
Well, sure, maybe, but its a PS and probably based on nothing factual at all. I mean, I can PS an M3 to look a lot more aggressive as well.
Appreciate 0